BFG A/T K02 or TOYO OPEN COUNTRY A/T II?

• HTML tutorial

BFG K02 or Toyo Open Country A/T II?

• BFG A/T K02

• Toyo Open Country A/T II

• other...comment!

Results are only viewable after voting.

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

For what it's worth, I just came back from a trip about 20 miles into the Eastern Sierras. That's some Rough, rocky terrain back there. Some of those rocks were sharp! KO2's were awesome in every way. No gouges, chunks missing, or any signs of wear. They handled like a champ. And the Eastern Sierra mountains are pretty rugged.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
It's a very tough tire I ran Leviathon mines road in the Eastern seirras in my 2500 burb at 30psi and boy it did a number on my tires I don't know if it was the wieght of my rig or PSI I was running but I do see some noticable marks from the rock garden I went through. The side walls held up it was really rough terrain. Tire did great but 16 miles of rough terrain the tire did show it. Now interestingly the other Z71 burbs tires showed now wear?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited:

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Definitely depends on what you are doing with them, but I am a bfg guy. The sidewall durability is legendary they take serious abuse and have never failed me or my friends that all run them. They seem to be a consistently great all around tire. I was torn between the all terrains or the muds but ended up with the all terrains since my rig is also my daily driver and 90% of the terrain I am on suits the all terrains.

Masheen365

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

South GA
Member #

I'd like to think the mark of a quality product isn't the warranty but the fact that you never have to worry about using a warranty.

I'm running the Toyo's now and like them. A 35x12.5 AT is better than a 275 Pirelli Scorpian... whatever. My Toyos are worn and slip fairly bad in wet roads (unloaded F150). Not very confidence inspiring. When these get worn just a bit more and the wife and I can swing a tire purchase, I'm getting some KO2s. I've run the KOs on an omder F150 and loved them.

An honorable mention for the Cooper AT3 that I hear little about on these pages.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

It's a very tough tire I ran Leviathon mines road in the Eastern seirras in my 2500 burb at 30psi and boy it did a number on my tires I don't know if it was the wieght of my rig or PSI I was running but I do see some noticable marks from the rock garden I went through. The side walls held up it was really rough terrain. Tire did great but 16 miles of rough terrain the tire did show it. Now interestingly the other Z71 burbs tires showed now wear?

I was running 20 PSI and went pretty slow. My speed probably helped.

Reactions: LuxuryOverland

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

I'd like to think the mark of a quality product isn't the warranty but the fact that you never have to worry about using a warranty.

I'm running the Toyo's now and like them. A 35x12.5 AT is better than a 275 Pirelli Scorpian... whatever. My Toyos are worn and slip fairly bad in wet roads (unloaded F150). Not very confidence inspiring. When these get worn just a bit more and the wife and I can swing a tire purchase, I'm getting some KO2s. I've run the KOs and loved them.

An honorable mention for the Cooper AT3 that I hear little about on these pages.
Those Cooper AT3's receive a lot of praise from those who use them

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Definitely depends on what you are doing with them, but I am a bfg guy. The sidewall durability is legendary they take serious abuse and have never failed me or my friends that all run them. They seem to be a consistently great all around tire. I was torn between the all terrains or the muds but ended up with the all terrains since my rig is also my daily driver and 90% of the terrain I am on suits the all terrains.

I'm amazed at how quiet my KO2s are on the highway. And because I went with 255s, I've seen no hit to the mpg. And they were champs on the rugged trail I just completed.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

I had a full load. But I went slow. I think that makes a difference.

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

We have tested both here at work on a fleet of 100+ trucks that spend 95% of the time off road.
We did two 24 truck groups 12 with MT and 12 AT of each brand. So it was a pretty fair test.

The BFG KO2 tires just flat out take a beating and keep on eating. They out performed the KM every where but deep mud. They hold up for about 25-30k miles of mixed mud, sand and rocks. They are the best tire we have found for the abuse we put them through in a mining environment. I run them on all of my personal vehicles as well and am seeing 60-70k miles out of E rated KO2s.

The Toyo tires had little to no traction in mud and loose rock. After about 10k miles the tread would delaminate from the casing of the tire and then blow out. We tried both the AT and MT the results were the same out of both.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I'm amazed at how quiet my KO2s are on the highway. And because I went with 255s, I've seen no hit to the mpg. And they were champs on the rugged trail I just completed.
I was seriously thinking of trying the 255s but didn't know if it would affect the gearing too much for me and didn't want to go down that road yet... I went with the 265-75 16s and like them but am still thinking about the 255s. The k02s are definitely quiet, especially when you find the psi sweet spot for the load.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

I have 255
I was seriously thinking of trying the 255s but didn't know if it would affect the gearing too much for me and didn't want to go down that road yet... I went with the 265-75 16s and like them but am still thinking about the 255s. The k02s are definitely quiet, especially when you find the psi sweet spot for the load.

I have 255/75/17, which are basically skinny 32's. one of the things that sealed it is the weight. They are only about 4lbs over stock. I'm really trying to keep the changes and modifications to my rig at a minimum.

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

We have tested both here at work on a fleet of 100+ trucks that spend 95% of the time off road.
We did two 24 truck groups 12 with MT and 12 AT of each brand. So it was a pretty fair test.

The BFG KO2 tires just flat out take a beating and keep on eating. They out performed the KM every where but deep mud. They hold up for about 25-30k miles of mixed mud, sand and rocks. They are the best tire we have found for the abuse we put them through in a mining environment. I run them on all of my personal vehicles as well and am seeing 60-70k miles out of E rated KO2s.

The Toyo tires had little to no traction in mud and loose rock. After about 10k miles the tread would delaminate from the casing of the tire and then blow out. We tried both the AT and MT the results were the same out of both.
Nice feedback on the differences of the K02S vs KM2. I know the KM3 are going to be coming out soon so will be looking out for those on my next set.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

I'm running the Toyo's now and like them. A 35x12.5 AT is better than a 275 Pirelli Scorpian... whatever. My Toyos are worn and slip fairly bad in wet roads (unloaded F150). Not very confidence inspiring. When these get worn just a bit more and the wife and I can swing a tire purchase, I'm getting some KO2s. I've run the KOs on an omder F150 and loved them.

Tommy Boy said it best, "You can put a guarantee on a piece of turd, and all you'll end up with is a guaranteed piece of turd"...(censored. Because people on this forum are a class act and deserve it)

Last edited:

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I have 255

I have 255/75/17, which are basically skinny 32's. one of the things that sealed it is the weight. They are only about 4lbs over stock. I'm really trying to keep the changes and modifications to my rig at a minimum.
I thought you were talking about 255/75 16s which are a skinny 34" tire. This is where my gearing concerns where... makes sense with what you are doing with your truck. My truck modifications been sliding the other direction but can't justify the funds for gearing yet or the front arb locker that would probably happen if if I took that jump.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

I thought you were talking about 255/75 16s which are a skinny 34" tire. This is where my gearing concerns where... makes sense with what you are doing with your truck. My truck modifications been sliding the other direction but can't justify the funds for gearing yet or the front arb locker that would probably happen if if I took that jump.

I definitely didn't need to regear with skinny 32's

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

255/75r16 is a skinny 31"

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Sorry, I meant 255/85 16. 33-34" depending on mfg

The need to re-gear with skinny tires is a bit lessened though because you'll have a lot less unsprung weight to overcome. Just something to think about. You probably wouldn't need to regear with skinny 33". Maybe with 34".

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

My think with skinny vs wide tires is simple; view Camel Trophy. What do you see. Skinny tires!!! Wide is AWESOME, in fact REQUIRED (in my opinion) for tons of sand travel. more ground covered, and, like a snow shoe, more traction/footprint to gain traction. With everything else besides tons and tons of sand, skinny is a friend!! I guess, though, that would depend on the rig? Seeing a giant full size with some nice skinny 265's or 255's would be cute...LOL! BUT I think its doable!

Reactions: theMightyGoose