BFG A/T K02 or TOYO OPEN COUNTRY A/T II?

• HTML tutorial

BFG K02 or Toyo Open Country A/T II?

• BFG A/T K02

• Toyo Open Country A/T II

• other...comment!

Results are only viewable after voting.

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

Trouble deciding....Toyo Tires has an awesome warranty and I've heard the tires last a LONG while...

I've always used BFG tho, and love them personally...

Keep it the same, or change it up?! Opinions?!

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

Well the BFG is a great tire with a huge following. I don't know a ton about the Toyo but it seems positive. Looking at the specs the Toyo is about 10% lighter than the BFG. That would help with milage.

Reactions: LuxuryOverland

STPICKENS

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Evansville, WY, USA 82636
First Name
SHAUN
Last Name
PICKENS
Member #

Toyo is a great tire. I had the ATII for 4 years. They worked excellent in sand snow ice and fire roads. They are not severe weather rated. And the carcass of the tire is not as stout as true BFG. All around excellent tires.

The BFG ATKo2's are also excellent tires. I have used them in mud snow and ice. They track really well off-road and on. Yes they are a heavy tire and you will feel it on the road. These tires are severe weather rated and they work very well in bad conditions.

I do highly recommend them both. If you live in a climate that gets snow and use them off-road a lot go with the BFG. If you don't need the severe weather rating and do a lot of commuting and smaller amounts of off-roading go with the ATII. You really can't go wrong with either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KTM GRIZZLY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I have the new general X3 and I live in Arizona where it is 110 degrees everyday and they are holding up fantastic ,this is the first time I've ever ran these tires they are brand new. they were just released at the end of 2016 for the 2017 year and so far they have been fantastic . this is my opinion it's what I'm running I will continue to run these tires until I see otherwise . just an option to check into! I'm extremely happy with these tires so far! I wasn't BFG mud terrain guy but now my opinion has changed! Truthfully all three tires are great options! Look on tirebuyer.com They have great prices =full]29044[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Last edited:

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

MONUMENT RANCH PERRIS CA 92570
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I have the new general X3 and I live in Arizona where it is 110 degrees everyday and they are holding up fantastic ,this is the first time I've ever ran these tires they are brand new. they were just released at the end of 2016 for the 2017 year and so far they have been fantastic . this is my opinion it's what I'm running I will continue to run these tires until I see otherwise . just an option to check into! I'm extremely happy with these tires so far! I wasn't BFG mud terrain guy but now my opinion has changed! Truthfully all three tires are great options! Look on tirebuyer.com They have great prices =full]29044[/ATTACH]
I have BFG AT KO'2 and love them. but those General X3 are very intriguing!!

dolli310

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Halifax, NS
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dollimont
Member #

Running the Open Country A/T IIs on my Trailhawk. So far I have only been able to hit the dirt a handful of times and I'm impressed so far. Mostly fire roads and power lines; hard, mud and rock. Went with them due to the warranty and wear rate. As a plus they ride smoother and quieter than the factory Destination ATs.

KTM GRIZZLY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I have BFG AT KO'2 and love them. but those General X3 are very intriguing!!
I was very weary about trying a brand new tire with no ratings hardly any information about how they hold up. But as of right now I am extremely happy with the purchase I made and would give them 5 stars in a rating and a very good comment about them . I have no complaints as of 3 months into having them. On or offroad ! They are 6 ply tread 3-ply sidewall and I will purchase another set of them after these. And like I said in my previous comment ,you can't go wrong with all three of these Tire choices . they are all good choices of tire! it's just finding the tire that's going to work best for your vehicle or what you plan to do with them

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

The KO2 has no guarantee for treadlife but the Toyo does. However, KO2s have a reputation for lasting forever. So I don't think you have to worry about the guarantee for treadife.
Another thing to think about is availability. When I bought new tires I wanted to go with the Toyo RT, but I couldn't find any, so I had to order them. Well, the day they were supposed to be in I called the tire shop I ordered them from, and they were lost. Talked to the guy I talked to earlier when I ordered them, and he just couldn't come up with an explanation why they didn't have them in. That is when I decided maybe the KO2s would be a better choice. EVERYONE carries KO2s. So, if you are out traveling you won't have a hard time sourcing tires if something happens.

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

MONUMENT RANCH PERRIS CA 92570
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

The KO2 has no guarantee for treadlife but the Toyo does. However, KO2s have a reputation for lasting forever. So I don't think you have to worry about the guarantee for treadife.
Another thing to think about is availability. When I bought new tires I wanted to go with the Toyo RT, but I couldn't find any, so I had to order them. Well, the day they were supposed to be in I called the tire shop I ordered them from, and they were lost. Talked to the guy I talked to earlier when I ordered them, and he just couldn't come up with an explanation why they didn't have them in. That is when I decided maybe the KO2s would be a better choice. EVERYONE carries KO2s. So, if you are out traveling you won't have a hard time sourcing tires if something happens.
Awesome point!!!!!

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

BFG K02s are a great tire and so much much better than the the original K0. Run them on mud, snow, dirt and rocks. Have held up great very tough sidwall is extra piece of mind while on the trail. Tread life seems alot better too! Highly recommend them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I have the Toyo AT 2's on one Jeep, can't wait till they wear out, which at this rate will be at less than 20k miles on them. I'm 95% dirt, gravel and bullrock, 4-5 months of snow and ice, and I swear I can see the wear weekly. Constantly rotating to get more mileage out of them. My boyfriend has the BFG's on his full size Sierra and they have held up well, but I'm most pleased with the General Grabber AT 2's on my other Wrangler, they handle fantastic in extreme conditions and still look brand new after 4 years/12k miles.

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

Ill definitely have to consider there Grabber x3 then! checked them out, they do seem pretty nice! Appreciating all the feedback guys! So far it seems the Ko2 takes the money, even tho the treadwear warranty is nice on the Toyo...but if I think about it, based on @britz feedback, they have the warranty for a reason...think ill go with either the BFG or the GGX3....ill keep you guys informed with the decision, and let you know how I like it! Thank you!

lkrasner

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

West Lafayette, IN
Member #

I Got a set of KO2s as my first "real" set of All terains on my Tahoe (size 285/75R16, up about 2 inches from stock 265/70), and holy crap they blew away anything I'd run before. Now keep in mind, those previous tires were not even LT rated, and definitely not up to what I was wrongly expecting of them. I beat the hell out of the KO2s promptly, with a 8,000 mile trip, largely off road, through sand, mud, ice, and snow. They help up unbelievably well. Wish I'd taken some pictures of what I did to the sidewalls, but I had a sharp rock literally engulfed by the side of the tire when I got jammed up at one point, fully expecting it to blow as I got out, but it didn't leave a scratch. They have been wonderful in snow and sand. Mud, well about as good as you'd expect for a 6,000 lb rig with open differentials, but a hell of a lot better than before. I've run them everywhere from 18-45 PSI, and they have performed very consistently and predictably throughout the range.

Most importantly, they have seemed to hold up through their treadlife very well. My last set of tires were decent when new, but started getting significantly worse in wet and slippery conditions as they wore down. Tread life has seemed ok, though obviously not what I'm used to out of highway tires.

Drftsub

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

I ran quite a few sets of Toyo's on my other trucks (Ford Superduty) and they did well but I was not happy about wear patterns / life with them. It wasnt horrible but was not as good as with the KO2. I have had both the original KO and KO2 on my Tacoma, and have been very happy with them.

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

I just returned from a 7700 miles trip. Prior to the trip, I replaced all tires with BFG KO2. I'm very satisfied with KO2 performance. I'm running about 44 psi as recommended by the technician.

T

The Raven

Ran KOs and they were great in everything but mud and snow, the KO2 fxed that issue and now they are a great tire. I ran them on my Jeep for years only getting one puncture from a sharp stone at speed. I did not hesitate to put them on my LC80 and again have been working great. 6000 miles now and no obvious wear. Just grabbed a 5th and doing a 5 wheel rotation.

I have collegues from Germany right now that came over in thier LC70 that are running the Toyos. They like them and have worked well for them. At the moment they are in the Baja heading south with no issues.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

For what it's worth, I just came back from a trip about 20 miles into the Eastern Sierras. That's some Rough, rocky terrain back there. Some of those rocks were sharp! KO2's were awesome in every way. No gouges, chunks missing, or any signs of wear. They handled like a champ. And the Eastern Sierra mountains are pretty rugged.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk