Seattleswiss

Rank I

Contributor III

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Cameron
I'm looking for a reliable propane firepit that is easy to set up, highly reliable/durable, and fairly compact (will fit inside my 4Runner) for an upcoming trip to Baja (Pacific side). The Little Red Campfire looks promising. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks much in advance.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
I have the little red campfire and love it. It is small, but I love it all buttons up for travel. No loose lava rocks to deal with.

Reactions: Ceg

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We hav had the small camp chef fire pit for years, works well, only problem is all the lava rock will end up in the bag if it gets tipped during transport. not a problem in our larger rigs, but not so good when we carry it in our spare tire trash bag in the JK, for that we went with the Ignik FireCan ammo box style. works well for the two of us, but not for a group. (we did upgrade it with some lava rock and the heat is much better. )

1659938438780.png1659938361944.png

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I have the little red campfire and love it. It is small, but I love it all buttons up for travel. No loose lava rocks to deal with.
Yep. Me too! I have had mine for many years and it always goes on camping trips. We also take it on the Christmas Tree and Sledding day trips.

Reactions: KAIONE

kharrel

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Ventura County, CA, USA
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Harrel
Member #

I have the little red in the RV :) It is ok for 1-2 people. But for anymore I use Lavabox. Once you use Lavabox there is no going back. It is just super awesome.

Kelly

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
While I do keep my camping stuff lite, I do like to look at stuff..call it sometime in the future shopping…

I came across this fire pit last week, I liked the look of it and it was ultra portable and packable which is just my game..

Not sure if it is what you were looking for, but interesting regardless

Tembu Tusk Propane Firepit

TeachAO

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Glenwood, Washington, United States
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Oldenburg
Member #

I went with the Ignik Fire can and it functions flawlessly on my trips. I did add the fire rocks which adds a bit of weight. Probably not for a big group. I reached out to their customer service since my booklet said it should have a fire deflector and they responded via email within 24 hours. One complaint I have is the quick connect sticks out of one side and could get bumped in transit. Complaint #2 is that my zipper broke on their carry bag for the propane tank on the first trip, while not a big deal it is an expensive item, and it kind of sucks it broke on the first trip.

Ignik Firecan

Reactions: EBasil

Joel_E

Rank IV

Traveler III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Edelman
Member #

I also have the Ignik Firecan. I got some fake small logs to help disperse the flames, as otherwise there is just the burner coil. I like the fact that the "packed up" can is small and a good shape for easy stowing.

Reactions: EBasil

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

+1 on the Ignik. Some of the other ammo can designs blow flames like a flame thrower and to me do not look safe. This is very well made and while the flame is decent, it isn't crazy. I also added a small log set to disperse the flames. Several option is using logs or rocks. I also bought some lava wool but found it itchy if it got on the skin so I removed it.

My only regret is only getting the 5 gallon tank, wish I had gotten the 10. They say a 5 gallon will last 2.5 hours on high. I've never tested it because I usually want it to last longer and also use the tank for cooking on the coleman.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I have the camp chef shown above and love it. I previously had one of the ammo can units but returned it. It had way too much soot. I did switch to 5 lb bottles after learning that the 1 lb bottles don’t off-gas quick enough after about 10 minutes of running. The flame would almost go out. Not so with the 5 lb bottles.

Todd S.

Rank VII
Investor

Navigator I

Los Gatos, Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Sacchi
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YWP
While I do keep my camping stuff lite, I do like to look at stuff..call it sometime in the future shopping…

I came across this fire pit last week, I liked the look of it and it was ultra portable and packable which is just my game..

Not sure if it is what you were looking for, but interesting regardless

Tembu Tusk Propane Firepit
I purchased the Tembu Tusk Firepit. It is really compact. Since I was at one spot for 2 weeks, I wanted a more traditional look. I bought some cheap Ceramic logs off of Amazon to make it look more like a campfire.

Attachments

Reactions: Advtres and EBasil

EBasil

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
I went with the Ignik, and I added glass chi-chi fire beads to it, to soften the flame profile and look cool.

I like it for being small, self-contained in that I can store the gas hose and lighter inside the box even with the fire beads in there, easy to use and pretty --in that the sides are open/vented. I use it either with a little 5lb bottle I bought at Costco (the gauges on these are wonky) or my larger "bbq" propane that's sometimes hauled for the two-burner Coleman. The ignik was $100 at REI with a discount coupon.

The shortcomings of the Ignik, in my experience, is that the valve fitting juts off the long side/back of the ammo can and is somewhat "exposed". Pack carefully. Also, y'ain't gonna cook marshmallows over it very well. It does throw some nice heat and has become a staple for our quick runs for sunset over the beach or camping where open fire isn't allowed.

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

Sacramento, California, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM - KN6TKY & GMRS - WRQT727
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
I love my Outland fire bowl. It packs up nice and it’s adjustable from low and high and everything in between. It uses a significant amount of propane but I can get through a three day weekend with a standard propane tank just fine using it in the morning and a at night. It’s just not a fire you’ll have it running for hours on end. But I really enjoy it it puts out a significant amount of heat and when you can’t have fires in California because of fire restrictions this is a great option.

Attachments

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

I purchased the Tembu Tusk Firepit. It is really compact. Since I was at one spot for 2 weeks, I wanted a more traditional look. I bought some cheap Ceramic logs off of Amazon to make it look more like a campfire.
Yikes! I give them props for creativity and packing up small, but egads at the price. More outrageous than their cooking grate. Cool stuff if you have the $.

It does look cool though. It says it comes with fire rocks. Did your not come with them or did you like the firelogs look better? I use firelogs in my Ignik but considering switch over to smaller rocks that come up just above the vents so that I can fit the hose inside when packed up. My firelogs take up too much space and if I remove even one to make space it sort of kills the effect.

How is it taking apart and how long to cool down. I'm assuming you get some soot on your hands?

Reactions: Todd S.

Todd S.

Rank VII
Investor

Navigator I

Los Gatos, Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Sacchi
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YWP
Yikes! I give them props for creativity and packing up small, but egads at the price. More outrageous than their cooking grate. Cool stuff if you have the $.

It does look cool though. It says it comes with fire rocks. Did your not come with them or did you like the firelogs look better? I use firelogs in my Ignik but considering switch over to smaller rocks that come up just above the vents so that I can fit the hose inside when packed up. My firelogs take up too much space and if I remove even one to make space it sort of kills the effect.

How is it taking apart and how long to cool down. I'm assuming you get some soot on your hands?
Mine came with rocks but I grew up with traditional campfires. I did not like the look of the burner with the rocks on it. Adding the fire logs made it look just like a regular campfire. If I was traveling and staying one night at each spot, then I would just bring the burner with the rocks.
It cools down pretty fast. The pieces of the burner are thin so cools down quickly. Their is soot but with a damp rag it comes off easily.

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I went with the Ignik, and I added glass chi-chi fire beads to it, to soften the flame profile and look cool.

I like it for being small, self-contained in that I can store the gas hose and lighter inside the box even with the fire beads in there, easy to use and pretty --in that the sides are open/vented. I use it either with a little 5lb bottle I bought at Costco (the gauges on these are wonky) or my larger "bbq" propane that's sometimes hauled for the two-burner Coleman. The ignik was $100 at REI with a discount coupon.

The shortcomings of the Ignik, in my experience, is that the valve fitting juts off the long side/back of the ammo can and is somewhat "exposed". Pack carefully. Also, y'ain't gonna cook marshmallows over it very well. It does throw some nice heat and has become a staple for our quick runs for sunset over the beach or camping where open fire isn't allowed.
After a bit of time with the Firecan, we have grown to really like it, we use it mostly with their 5 lb 'propane growler' which works well for a short trip and provides enough gas for cooking and two short nights of 'not full throttle' camp fires. thinking we will need to get fuel for the rig often enough that refilling the propane tank at same time makes sense over carrying a larger tank. May go with a bigger tank for extended winter trips, but usually we can have real fires during that time so no worries. One thing we have done is purchase an adapter that is designed to allow use of a 1lb green tank with appliances set up for bulk tanks, this allows us to connect the hose that comes with the firecan to the hose that came with the growler as the stock hose is too short to allow the tank to be placed behind our chairs during use. This also puts the control valve right next to our chairs for easy adjustment or quick shut off. Next change will be to remove the quick connect and install it with a 90 degree fitting so it does not poke directly out into our spare tire trash bag where we keep it. We already have a piece of foam left over from a pelican case that we stab onto the fitting to protect it during transport.

1661901308933.png

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

After a bit of time with the Firecan, we have grown to really like it, we use it mostly with their 5 lb 'propane growler' which works well for a short trip and provides enough gas for cooking and two short nights of 'not full throttle' camp fires. thinking we will need to get fuel for the rig often enough that refilling the propane tank at same time makes sense over carrying a larger tank. May go with a bigger tank for extended winter trips, but usually we can have real fires during that time so no worries. One thing we have done is purchase an adapter that is designed to allow use of a 1lb green tank with appliances set up for bulk tanks, this allows us to connect the hose that comes with the firecan to the hose that came with the growler as the stock hose is too short to allow the tank to be placed behind our chairs during use. This also puts the control valve right next to our chairs for easy adjustment or quick shut off. Next change will be to remove the quick connect and install it with a 90 degree fitting so it does not poke directly out into our spare tire trash bag where we keep it. We already have a piece of foam left over from a pelican case that we stab onto the fitting to protect it during transport.

View attachment 239398
I wish I had gotten the 10 pound XL growler. Like you said, the 5 is great for 2 nights at half flame and some cooking. I've only used it in the wild once so far on a 3 night trip and really babied it at maybe 1/4 flame for 90 minutes each night. It wasn't that great.

But, this weekend I decided to put it in the backyard and run it at half flame and see how much more I could get out of it. Got another 3 hours at 1/2 flame and half flame was enough for my needs. Would still need to be cautious for a 3 night+ trip but for 2 nights should be fine.

I don't mind running out of propane for the firecan as much as I do for the coleman and not being able to at least make coffee the next day. So I bring along the dreaded single use can as a backup, I still have a few left. If I go on longer trips I might just bring my large gas grill tank (I have 3 of those but like to pack light and they are big/bulky).

Reactions: OTH Overland

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I wish I had gotten the 10 pound XL growler. Like you said, the 5 is great for 2 nights at half flame and some cooking. I've only used it in the wild once so far on a 3 night trip and really babied it at maybe 1/4 flame for 90 minutes each night. It wasn't that great.

But, this weekend I decided to put it in the backyard and run it at half flame and see how much more I could get out of it. Got another 3 hours at 1/2 flame and half flame was enough for my needs. Would still need to be cautious for a 3 night+ trip but for 2 nights should be fine.

I don't mind running out of propane for the firecan as much as I do for the coleman and not being able to at least make coffee the next day. So I bring along the dreaded single use can as a backup, I still have a few left. If I go on longer trips I might just bring my large gas grill tank (I have 3 of those but like to pack light and they are big/bulky).
We always keep a green bottle in the drawer and one stashed away for emergency, so far we have not run out. Good info on how long you got the tank to last. I have it on my list to run the firecan with the propane bottle on a scale, and time how long it takes to burn 1 lb of propane at full and half settings, should give me a more reliable estimate, of how much is left in the tank after a session....

Reactions: Nickel