Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Ah that's cool. I don't know why, I prefer the 1 lb bottles.
My stove and lantern runs off of them, so it is convenient.
I like the convenience of the 1lb bottles, but not the cost. We do not have much room in the Jeep so we settled on the 5lb bottle, seems to be the perfect size for most trips, we use it for the firecan and our cook stove. Its cheap to refill and we have a fitted storage case for it so we don't hear the ticking of the float while driving. We do have a 1lb bottle tucked away as a backup if I get carried away with the fire pit and empty the 5lb tank so we can still cook breakfast lol... We did get a digital propane scale that provides exact percentage of remaining propane for 5lb through 40lb tanks as I have found it hard to gauge remaining propane otherwise and can budget how much fire pit time we have during a trip. 1700679141053.png

Reactions: Outdoordog

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I like the convenience of the 1lb bottles, but not the cost. We do not have much room in the Jeep so we settled on the 5lb bottle, seems to be the perfect size for most trips, we use it for the firecan and our cook stove. Its cheap to refill and we have a fitted storage case for it so we don't hear the ticking of the float while driving. We do have a 1lb bottle tucked away as a backup if I get carried away with the fire pit and empty the 5lb tank so we can still cook breakfast lol... We did get a digital propane scale that provides exact percentage of remaining propane for 5lb through 40lb tanks as I have found it hard to gauge remaining propane otherwise and can budget how much fire pit time we have during a trip. View attachment 269534
Eventually I'll get a mount and put a 5lb tank on my rack. At Walmart, they sell two 1lb propane for 8 bucks, so I got a bunch and keep em in my basement. I use about half a bottle to full 1lb bottle for 2 nights of camping.
I bring at least 3 bottles, in a Plano case on my roofrack with my other kitchen gear.

Reactions: OTH Overland