Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Add one con to the Chevy choice, bent frames, I have never seen this in 40 years of 4WD.
I'd want answers before taking a chance.IMG_4418.jpg

IMG_4419.jpg

I've read about a dozen of these on the internet. They bend right at that hole in the frame. There is lots of "the guy was driving like an idiot" but there are idiots driving other brands too.

Superduty23

Rank I

Contributor II

Beatrice, NE
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Julian
Ok for the haters of brands. I’m a Ford guy through and through as I have a 2017 F350. I’ve owned all diesel brands. I’m wanting something small yet with some power to do anything I need it to on any trail within reason. I’m not going to go out and go down a trail I have to climb a 75 degree angle then hit an 80 degree hill. I want something that can climb a bit... just hit random trails. My dream is to go to Moab and Alaska and just hit trails. It will have a winch front bumper and sliders. I want something like an ARE bed cap with roof racks as it will have a roof top tent. Las little truck I owned was an S10 ZR2 with a 5.5 lift on 35s but I’m unfamiliar with these sized trucks now days. I’m wanting 33s on the new one.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Gladiator Rubi would be the easiest choice. Whole assortment of sliders soon, and stock tires are nearly 33x11.5". Hopefully prices continue dropping.

I'd just roll a Suzuki DRZ400S into the bed of the F350.

• Haha
Reactions: Superduty23

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

In October I bought a 2019 Colorado ZR2 3.6L (gas) with the Bison package after fifteen years and nearly four hundred thousand miles on two Tacoma’s; 05 (195K) and 12 (180K). Both were four wheel drive, double cab, TRD Off-Road, 4.0L and autos. At least a fourth of the miles were logged while towing a 19’ Scamp ‘fifth’ wheel weighing 3,500#’s around the country. The Tacoma’s were solid and capable trucks but, when I comparison shopped this time, it is my opinion the other mfrs had caught and, in many areas surpassed Toyota.

The Tacoma’s were relatively trouble free but I didn’t find them to be anything special in this regard. My 00 TJ, 08 Solstice and 98 Montero have been just as good with the Mitsubishi being the most trouble free vehicle I’ve ever owned.

As to resale, Tacoma definitely has the best reputation but comparing similarity equipped 2015 and later Tacoma’s and Colorado’s on Kelly Blue Book doesn’t really support this, especially if you look at the delta in initial cost.

Toyota switched from the 4.0l to a 3.5L V6 a few years back and I don’t think you’ll find a lot of even diehard Tacoma fans who think this was an improvement. Horsepower and torque ratings are similar but at a much higher RPM for the newer engine and a test drive convinced me it would have problems with the camper regardless of tow ratings. So far, the ZR2 has proven to be a much better tow vehicle with lots more power than the Tacoma. Towing mpg was 11-13 and is now 15-17. Range is improved with the better mileage and larger tank.

The ZR2 comes well equipped for off-roading in stock form with beefed up axles and lockers front AND rear. The DSSV shocks are simply amazing at speed in the back country. The Bison package adds armor on both ends and underneath. Off the dealer lot, I thinks it’s more capable than the TRD PRO but I’m also sure there are aftermarket options for the PRO that could easily change this. This week, Chevy announced factory support for a Calloway supercharger (410 HP) on the Colorado and for an enhanced Bison package from AEV that would include 4,10 gears. That indicates a high degree of commitment to me.

Al

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Ok for the haters of brands. I’m a Ford guy through and through as I have a 2017 F350. I’ve owned all diesel brands. I’m wanting something small yet with some power to do anything I need it to on any trail within reason. I’m not going to go out and go down a trail I have to climb a 75 degree angle then hit an 80 degree hill. I want something that can climb a bit... just hit random trails. My dream is to go to Moab and Alaska and just hit trails. It will have a winch front bumper and sliders. I want something like an ARE bed cap with roof racks as it will have a roof top tent. Las little truck I owned was an S10 ZR2 with a 5.5 lift on 35s but I’m unfamiliar with these sized trucks now days. I’m wanting 33s on the new one.
Moab to Alaska, I'd put a small diesel at the top of the list..... unless there is a gasser with comparable mileage.

Superduty23

Rank I

Contributor II

Beatrice, NE
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Julian
I’m not to concerned with mileage as I get 9mph towing my 16k pound fifth wheel across the country. It’s been from WV to Texas to Washington and everywhere in between. After looking at the Bison I like it BUT online building through Chevrolet it only lets me build it in red. I don’t like red. Every vehicle I’ve owned has been black but I can handle white too. Then on the other hand I have to find one within a days drive. I did find this ZR2. It is diesel but not a Bison. I can delete it for more power.

Attachments

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

I’m not to concerned with mileage as I get 9mph towing my 16k pound fifth wheel across the country. It’s been from WV to Texas to Washington and everywhere in between. After looking at the Bison I like it BUT online building through Chevrolet it only lets me build it in red. I don’t like red. Every vehicle I’ve owned has been black but I can handle white too. Then on the other hand I have to find one within a days drive. I did find this ZR2. It is diesel but not a Bison. I can delete it for more power.
Might be a long day, but here's a new 2019 black Bison in OK LINK

Al

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I don't repeatedly quote people that disagree with me. Endless arguments = ignore button. I expressed my opinion, I'm not here to argue, and expressly said as much. If you'd like to buy an argument, send me a check, and pics of your missus.

I also would like to avoid accidentally taking bad advice on tires, shocks, trails, anything. So I usually put people, that like obviously substandard quality products, on ignore for that. And also nearly everyone from california.
Oh. I see. You are the kid in the group that puts his fingers in his ears and goes LA LA LA LA LA. when someone disagrees with you. GOT IT!.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Oh. I see. You are the kid in the group that puts his fingers in his ears and goes LA LA LA LA LA. when someone disagrees with you. GOT IT!.

No. I voiced my opinion once. I don't want to keep going back and forth and take over this thread.

You infantile. Go away.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
OK folks time to listen up, especially those who can not seem to stick to the original posts theme and want to derail things over personalities..........

I will not tolerate name calling, threats, constant back and forth posts not related to the OP theme, this forum is for discussion and exchange of ideas, you may have an opinion that I hate and can not believe you take BUT I am not going to call you names, attack you, your rig or your post and start flaming. Now I would post my opinion in a factual or personal experience way and that is fine, if this reply needs to be carried onward we could start another thread and debate like adults and leave crap out of it!

I read the exchange above and BOTH of you are out of line, PERIOD. Knock it off, we all get heated or misunderstood (if we was starting out just poking fun) and things progress but enough is enough.

This forum is for us and I do not care if you agree with me or not, it is a gift! Do not trample my gift, your gift, our gift please.

BACK TO ORIGINAL THEME...........

Any issues, send me a msg.

Jim

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
OK folks time to listen up, especially those who can not seem to stick to the original posts theme and want to derail things over personalities..........

I will not tolerate name calling, threats, constant back and forth posts not related to the OP theme, this forum is for discussion and exchange of ideas, you may have an opinion that I hate and can not believe you take BUT I am not going to call you names, attack you, your rig or your post and start flaming. Now I would post my opinion in a factual or personal experience way and that is fine, if this reply needs to be carried onward we could start another thread and debate like adults and leave crap out of it!

I read the exchange above and BOTH of you are out of line, PERIOD. Knock it off, we all get heated or misunderstood (if we was starting out just poking fun) and things progress but enough is enough.

This forum is for us and I do not care if you agree with me or not, it is a gift! Do not trample my gift, your gift, our gift please.

BACK TO ORIGINAL THEME...........

Any issues, send me a msg.

Jim
Nope. All perfect here brother.

Superduty23

Rank I

Contributor II

Beatrice, NE
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Julian
maybe not what your thinking, but if you don't put too much in gas mileage, want a reasonable size, carrying capacity, winch and sliders, have you given old trucks any thought?
for what you need, and being a blue oval fan, seems to me a late '70's early '80's shortbox F150 or Bronco checks all the boxes.
it is fun and rewarding building an old truck. there cheap (compared to a new truck) ridiculously easy to work on, don't need to re-finance your house for parts, and people will constantly come up to you wanting to talk about it.
you already have a daily so you would be free to do whatever you feel to make it capable, and when it's done, you get the satisfaction of saying "yeah, i built that"
old school is cool school...
I do want a 70s or 80s Ford but the wife said “absolutely not”. She has to drive it between jobs and she’s... well more citified than I am. Has to have heated seats and newer within the last few years. I want one still but she won’t even get in one. I’m restoring a 55 GMC first series truck and she wants nothing to do with it. Thank you though

Reactions: rumbledawg