Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
What's the best hood hinge mounted ditch lights?

Assume angled out, to light sharp turns, not aimed forward.

I prefer little LED floods or diffused. But some like driving or spot, thinking it doesn't spill onto the hood as much.

I'm thinking of Rigid D series or Rigid Dually Pro. A 4" round light would seem a bit cumbersome there.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I have a bunch of the rigid pro D's as my forward facing lights. I also need something to the side more. My light is almost 90 degrees off my bumper but i just need that little bit more side lighting. especially in the forest.
I think the D pros are a bit big for my side lights and I dont know if I want that many lumens there.

I was looking at the SRQ lights due to he low profile. I wanted flood over diffused because the flood will have slightly more reach.
Still on the fence but something in a 2" square would be ideal for me.
I've been trying to look at what others have set up to compare but that's not as simple as one would think.
I also prefer reflector based optics.

Reactions: MidOH

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Never have loved the idea of cowl mounted lights, but a recent run in with a deer on the way back from Expo West, has changed my mind. Have always been a KC guy, and do not want a great big light, so looking at their 2" square flex series. Will wire them on individual switches so that we can run the passenger side one to seek out critters in the ditch while not blinding any oncoming traffic with the drivers side one. Had a pair of bumper mounted lights turned to 45 degrees, but as they were on the front of the rig they left dark areas off each side that I did not like.

19mystic96

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pacifica, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
Baja designs and KC lights have some really good products out. Baja Designs recently updated their lights that resulted in a ton more lumen output from their lines. Both come with a bit of a price tag compared to the others though. For that reason I went with Diode Dynamics ditch lights. Mine won't get used enough to justify the additional cost of the higher end brands.

Reactions: MidOH

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Well:

4" Rigid 360. Amber backlight, but I didn't hook up the backlight wire, since these are angled out a bit. I think that would look janky. So hooked up the main wire only.

To outfitter switches 1, and 2, to independently turn them on. No need for fuse or relay, the upfitter box already has both.

Some light on the hood. These are only good for low speed off road because of that. Which is why I bought them, sharp turns at night. Bumper lights are better for when we're moving.

Now just need a pair of front bumper lights. Might put a pair of 6" spot lights there, on a Randy Ellis light bar. (OEM xl bumper has limited options) Or maybe, Remove my front license plate and put a 20" bar in the middle of the bumper.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 19mystic96