Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

Maybe I am misreading what's here, but I think there's an abundance of prejudice and a severe lack of humility in some of the comments here... Remember the principles that we all decided to promote by becoming ambassadors of the overland community.

11. Share without reservation, trip locations, and information.
12. We DO NOT engage in "this is better than that" competitions.
13. We DO give advice about how to make your vehicle ready for what you need. Share knowledge.
14. Humility. "I don't know" is a great answer.
15. We don’t brag about exploits at the expense of others.
16. We support those seeking answers, understanding we all start somewhere.
17. We engage in the smallest of interactions.
18. We have fun.
I think it's important that we take the opportunities that have made themselves apparent to reach out, educate, and share this amazing lifestyle with those who aspire. Maybe we could be the guidance that that person needs to get started, if I had tires that were suitable for the road but not the trail, but no knowledge or mentor to lead me into wilderness, I sure wouldn't be sinking money into tires until I had to. I'm not saying that there aren't "wannabes" out there, but we don't know the whole story, and until we do I don't think it's appropriate to laugh at another mans expense, especially when you could be the domino that starts it all.

Just food for thought, I guess.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I think you missed something. I pointed out that the overlanding fad may be passing due to my observations. And people started having fun with other passing automotive fads, lest we forget skyjackers, Craiger wheels , wide ovals & traction bars. At no point did anyone light heartedly joke about these passing fads at anyone’s expense.

Reactions: smritte and Arailt

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

I think you missed something. I pointed out that the overlanding fad may be passing due to my observations. And people started having fun with other passing automotive fads, lest we forget skyjackers, Craiger wheels , wide ovals & traction bars. At no point did anyone light heartedly joke about these passing fads at anyone’s expense.
Like I said, maybe I was misreading it. The comments about the trails being clogged, the roof racks that are "inadequate" (these are the people who might need that guidance...), and the people who can't wrench who ultimately sell or get ripped off (There are plenty on here who can't or don't work on their own rigs) is really what irked me. Sarcasm is a hard read in this format, sorry if I've overstepped.

bryceCtravels

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Charleston, SC, USA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
Campbell
Ah this reminds me. I met a local gent at a job who has a 2011 or '12 Tundra. Kings all around, 37s, topper with roof rack, spare tire on the tailgate (I don't know how he opens the topper window), hilft, etc. Lifted somewhere around 6".

I asked him if he ever went anywhere with it. He said, "No, I had _localshop_ build it but I just drive it around town." I was so sad, I almost offered to buy his Kings right off him. Then I realized his tires were bald, the paint was in bad shape, and he didn't maintain the truck. Such a waste. Still see it driving around sometimes.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Ah this reminds me. I met a local gent at a job who has a 2011 or '12 Tundra. Kings all around, 37s, topper with roof rack, spare tire on the tailgate (I don't know how he opens the topper window), hilft, etc. Lifted somewhere around 6".

I asked him if he ever went anywhere with it. He said, "No, I had _localshop_ build it but I just drive it around town." I was so sad, I almost offered to buy his Kings right off him. Then I realized his tires were bald, the paint was in bad shape, and he didn't maintain the truck. Such a waste. Still see it driving around sometimes.
I don't disagree. I always roll my eyes when I see soccer moms in Wrangler Unlimiteds with 20 inch rims and 35" mud terrains. However, my father-in-law owns a 911 with the PDK transmission and race package. He's in his late 60s and doesn't race it or even take it to track days at our local racetrack. Point is, sometimes people own vehicles just because they like them, and that's enough to make them happy.

Last edited:

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I don't disagree. I always roll my eyes when I see soccer moms in Wrangler Unlimiteds with 20 inch rims and 35" mud terrains. However, my father-in-law owns a 911 with the PDK transmission and race package. He's in his late 60s and not a particularly good drive. He certainly doesn't race it or even take it to track days at our local racetrack. Point is, sometimes people own vehicles just because they like them, and that's enough to make them happy.
It is their money

bryceCtravels

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Charleston, SC, USA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
Campbell
I don't disagree. I always roll my eyes when I see soccer moms in Wrangler Unlimiteds with 20 inch rims and 35" mud terrains. However, my father-in-law owns a 911 with the PDK transmission and race package. He's in his late 60s and doesn't race it or even take it to track days at our local racetrack. Point is, sometimes people own vehicles just because they like them, and that's enough to make them happy.
Oh absolutely, and I'd be quite happy to drive around with Kings and 37s all day. Oftentimes when I go out to eat, I drive my Tundra instead of my civic. Just because I like it.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Arailt

NCFireGuy

Rank VI

Influencer I

West Jefferson, North Carolina, USA
First Name
Marc
Last Name
Bouchard
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Fire/EMS
On the tire issue. I believe that people feel they need to spend a ton of money on huge tires and then cannot keep them up. I have KO2's but I did not put a really large set on and still have the stock rims. Why because I would prefer to have a set of 5 that I can afford then something that takes a arm and a leg to replace. Just my .02

Badazzerus

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Gurley, AL, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Collins
Member #

I’m running stock rims with 34” KM3 tires. Have to do a body mount chop to get 35”. Might go to Mickey thompson bossM/T. Cause that is what I can get. But have to buy 5 for a spare.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Like I said, maybe I was misreading it. The comments about the trails being clogged, the roof racks that are "inadequate" (these are the people who might need that guidance...), and the people who can't wrench who ultimately sell or get ripped off (There are plenty on here who can't or don't work on their own rigs) is really what irked me. Sarcasm is a hard read in this format, sorry if I've overstepped.
Your attacking someone else for something I've posted which I stand behind every bit of. Why so irked did I check every one of your boxes?
It's not sarcasm its the truth and I suppose the truth hurts you. You say these people are who need guidance, well what do you think is happening when they are told their rig is inadequate? That's guidance bud.

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Oh absolutely, and I'd be quite happy to drive around with Kings and 37s all day. Oftentimes when I go out to eat, I drive my Tundra instead of my civic. Just because I like it.
Right on. I practically force my family to take my old GX everywhere we go instead of my wife's new X5 because I love it. 12 MPG, bumpy ride, handles like shit... but I love it haha.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Here's the thing. We now have, in this wonderful age of instant gratification, a thing called the internet, which as we all know contains a wealth of knowledge about all aspects of our hobby. For us old timers, we had the Helen Keller method guiding us. It was hit or miss as we fumbled our way through, or if we were lucky, we had access to big enough public libraries that would contain books and periodicals dedicated to the hobby of Overlanding. ( by the way, the pickings were very slim back then. ) Usually we had to depend on magazines full of advertisers dedicated to making money off of us with a crap load of sub-standard products that we ended up purchasing only to end up in a garage sale somewhere. The type of people that are being made fun of are posers, and posers could care less about garnering proper advice from anyone about a hobby they don't really care about. I certainly don't think there are any posers that are members of Overland Bound. I believe that anyone that takes the time to partake wants to learn, wants good advice, and doesn't want to waste their hard earned money on sub standard or overpriced products. Guidance, as you put it, is here and anywhere else one wants to look for it. As the saying goes, " you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it" ( you can lead a poser to information, but you can't make him digest it ). In short, in this day and age, in our information society, there is no excuse to not be informed about any hobby you are about to embark on. Those seeking instant gratification are always in for a big surprise no matter what the hobby. The model railroading community, which I am a part of, comes to mind. I've been railroading since 1963 or so. A lot of people throw a lot of money at it and expect good results. That never happens, they don't realize it is a hobby, just as overlanding is, that takes discipline, dedication, hard work and a multitude of learning curves along the way. If they aren't willing to put effort into it, then all the trains end up in an attic somewhere or being sold off on flea bay. That's not much different than the guy with the 50 thousand dollar rig running around on bald tires.

NCFireGuy

Rank VI

Influencer I

West Jefferson, North Carolina, USA
First Name
Marc
Last Name
Bouchard
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Fire/EMS
Here's the thing. We now have, in this wonderful age of instant gratification, a thing called the internet, which as we all know contains a wealth of knowledge about all aspects of our hobby. For us old timers, we had the Helen Keller method guiding us. It was hit or miss as we fumbled our way through, or if we were lucky, we had access to big enough public libraries that would contain books and periodicals dedicated to the hobby of Overlanding. ( by the way, the pickings were very slim back then. ) Usually we had to depend on magazines full of advertisers dedicated to making money off of us with a crap load of sub-standard products that we ended up purchasing only to end up in a garage sale somewhere. The type of people that are being made fun of are posers, and posers could care less about garnering proper advice from anyone about a hobby they don't really care about. I certainly don't think there are any posers that are members of Overland Bound. I believe that anyone that takes the time to partake wants to learn, wants good advice, and doesn't want to waste their hard earned money on sub standard or overpriced products. Guidance, as you put it, is here and anywhere else one wants to look for it. As the saying goes, " you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it" ( you can lead a poser to information, but you can't make him digest it ). In short, in this day and age, in our information society, there is no excuse to not be informed about any hobby you are about to embark on. Those seeking instant gratification are always in for a big surprise no matter what the hobby. The model railroading community, which I am a part of, comes to mind. I've been railroading since 1963 or so. A lot of people throw a lot of money at it and expect good results. That never happens, they don't realize it is a hobby, just as overlanding is, that takes discipline, dedication, hard work and a multitude of learning curves along the way. If they aren't willing to put effort into it, then all the trains end up in an attic somewhere or being sold off on flea bay. That's not much different than the guy with the 50 thousand dollar rig running around on bald tires.

Thank you. I believe you have nailed it on the head.

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

Your attacking someone else for something I've posted which I stand behind every bit of. Why so irked did I check every one of your boxes?
It's not sarcasm its the truth and I suppose the truth hurts you. You say these people are who need guidance, well what do you think is happening when they are told their rig is inadequate? That's guidance bud.
For what it's worth I wasn't attacking anyone, or directing my thoughts at anyone in particular for that matter. Simply stating my opinion in this thread just like the rest of us. I'm not hurt, but I think if your idea of guidance is simply telling someone that their stuff is inadequate then you should probably avoid guiding people anyways.

I'm only suggesting that we lead the proverbial horse to the water, I myself bypassed OB a handful of times when researching overlanding until I finally realized the wealth of information here. Sometimes it just takes a nudge. I, like all of us, have witnessed this very phenomenon, showing someone how to find the information they need and ultimately being ignored. We can only do so much, but I think we should be doing what we can. In as much as the internet is an incredible resource for all the information one could want, it is also fantastic at spreading misinformation which is easily absorbed by the uninitiated.

I had a good friend who had built the entire upstairs of his house into scale railroading, detail like you wouldn't believe. Nearly 1,000 sq ft dedicated to just scale models. I think he said he started in the 50's or 60's and the rooms were a culmination of some 70 years of work. I've got scale RC trucks, and I can't even remember the last time I had it out. Kudos to you for keeping on track with that!