Avoid Rhino Rack...And What to Consider With Alternatives

• HTML tutorial

No Known Boundaries

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Western US
Member #

While it is certainly more affordable and convenient to use standard load bars than commit to a full roof rack, trouble may follow if you're not careful. I outline my experience, as well as what I think can be done to help avoid disaster in the future.

Reactions: Dimitri_Raptis

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I'm not surprised by this. Decades ago all that was available were steel racks that would eventually rust out from the inside, even with constant cleaning and re-painting every couple of off seasons. Then Frontrunner introduced an aluminum rack in 2000. In 2008 or so ARB followed suit and introduced their aluminum rack. The South Africans and the Australians get this stuff right. I've had my Frontrunner racks ( plural as there is one on the trailer ) since 2012 and not a single bolt or nut has ever worked its way loose. They don't rattle, and the rack on the trailer supports our Tepui ruggedized tent which weighs 162 lbs. Do Frontrunners or ARBs ever fail? Yes, they do, the blade type feet used on more modern vehicles, can be a problem if not installed correctly. Bottom line, 85 million South Africans and Australians can t be wrong about overlanding equipment. ( tongue firmly in cheek )

pcstockton

Rank III

Advocate I

Portland, OR
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
S
I'm not surprised by this. Decades ago all that was available were steel racks that would eventually rust out from the inside, even with constant cleaning and re-painting every couple of off seasons. Then Frontrunner introduced an aluminum rack in 2000. In 2008 or so ARB followed suit and introduced their aluminum rack. The South Africans and the Australians get this stuff right. I've had my Frontrunner racks ( plural as there is one on the trailer ) since 2012 and not a single bolt or nut has ever worked its way loose. They don't rattle, and the rack on the trailer supports our Tepui ruggedized tent which weighs 162 lbs. Do Frontrunners or ARBs ever fail? Yes, they do, the blade type feet used on more modern vehicles, can be a problem if not installed correctly. Bottom line, 85 million South Africans and Australians can t be wrong about overlanding equipment. ( tongue firmly in cheek )
That is my experience with a Rhino on the backbone on my 5th gen 4RNR. I even got in a bad accident that totaled my rig and it didn't even budge. Front Runner are equally nice. My current Prinsu is fine but I wish it was a Rhino or FR. Load bars are crap no matter who makes them.

No Known Boundaries

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Western US
Member #

Load bars are crap no matter who makes them.
Which kinda ties into my point at the end of the video. The cynic in me thinks that they're willing to just say, "Yeah, sure. Stick a tent on em," despite knowing that they're not really up to snuff. The buys have got to outweigh the warranties by a landslide, and leaving that market untapped would be like having money burning a hole in their pocket.

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
I have the Rhinorack pioneer platform. Has many harsh miles on it with ToughStuff Alpha @200 lbs, 2 Zarges and awnings, propane-you get the idea.
Has never moved, loosened, or rusted. I did replace the factory rails with Rhinorack rails, and used 6 legs (no crossbars). Maybe that is the trick.

Attachments

Reactions: No Known Boundaries