AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
So here is my first go at mapping out possible routes. I colored them so I could see where the trails end up going and highlighted any features that really stuck out. Both would also help to terrain associate if you got turned around. Also a big factor is that I was really bored...Schnebly Hill Rd seems to be a good place to explore a little and camp, the only problem is I am not sure if the Sedona or Flagstaff entrance wil be open in Dec-Jan...
I will take a look when I get a chance. I would suggest saving your files a GPX because they are easier to import into apps. Gpsvisualizer.com is a good site to make that happen.

Also feel free to ask here for tracks. Eric and I, along with others, have mapped a lot of AZ.

TN_4Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southside, TN, USA
First Name
Bud
Last Name
Bud
Member #

I will take a look when I get a chance. I would suggest saving your files a GPX because they are easier to import into apps. Gpsvisualizer.com is a good site to make that happen.

Also feel free to ask here for tracks. Eric and I, along with others, have mapped a lot of AZ.
Yeah I was planning more of a day trip and just wanted to see my options for that area. I plan on picking up a iPad when I get home so I can use it for work too. What app do you guys usually run. I run Motion-X and I think it was 5 or 10 bucks. I'll hit you guys up for sure on other areas. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
So here is my first go at mapping out possible routes.
What app did you use to map this stuff out? Just curious. Because depending on the app it can really make a difference as to what you can see. My Mac App AZDE is great for high level reviews of trails but only has basic Topo maps whereas using Gaia either on my iPad or online there are lots of layers available.

Maybe describe what you are looking to do and the type of terrain you are wishing to explore. I have never run Schnebly Hill so I can't help you with the dates it may be open or closed. The forest service would have that info if in fact there are gates like on the 300 Rd above Payson.

Reactions: TN_4Runner

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
"We" can argue until the cows come home but present day Gaia is the best app for the iPad. You can search and read up on Gaia and Hema in various forums. IMHO Motion-X is way too limiting. Others disagree... No need to discuss it here so if you want to bounce it over to one of those threads and we can keep that discussion going.

I think a lot of the stuff above Sedona gets closed in winter but don't quote me on that. You should look at FR 231 above Sedona. It has nice views and a number of good overlook camping sites.

https://www.gaiagps.com/public/aIULuxkv6HxznH0g4vTEvQ4Q

Here's what I use:
Mac - AZDE Paid version
iOS - Gaia GPS, PDF Maps, Delorme Earthmate, Pocket Earth, Maps.me, Ultimate CG
(Others rarely used but have - Motion-X, HemaExplorer (Gaia Clone))
Online/Cloud - http://www.gpsvisualizer.com , GaiaGPS.com, http://www.gpsxchange.com
Android - Gaia or Orux but I am no Orux expert

Last edited:
Reactions: TN_4Runner

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
AZ Folks I have started a MeetUp Group. These are not free. It costs $10.00-$15.00 a month to run. Always good when there is skin in the game. It is always difficult to coordinate dates that work for a small group of people. A lot of what we may do is just short trips where we can talk about how to plan, review previous trips by members of the group, and offer some trips that some may be able to participate in. This will just offer opportunities to meet in person vs online. Feedback is welcome.

- Chris

Here's the link: http://meetu.ps/c/2N8n2/xy9X/f

Here's what it is about:
Who is this group for?
Arizona folks who love to Overland!
Those that love vehicle-based travel and exploration.
Those that would like to learn more about the backroads of AZ and beyond.
Those that want to share their knowledge on overlanding/off-roading, recovery, technology as it relates to overlanding and off-roading, favorite gear.
Those that are just getting started in the overlanding world and those that are returning to it after many years off.
Those that enjoy the company of others and don't wish to drag the group into debates about politics, religion, or any other pointless discussion that does not pertain to overlanding.
Those that are willing to lead and those willing to be lead. Who is not for?
Rock crawlers - You are a great group of people but you won't find that here.

The goal:
Have at least 1 day trip per month, which will include optional camping when the season is right.

1 quarterly trip to places inside and outside of AZ that are multi-day in length. Examples: Death Valley, Mohave Road, Backcountry Discovery Routes, Baja. Possibly a "parking lot" meetup once per month. We will try to design some trips where people from all corners of the state can take routes to meet up end of day. We welcome 4 wheel and 2 wheel participants that could use some help with gear hauling.

RandianaJones

Rank 0

Contributor I

Southwest USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Elmer
Member #

I'm in the Verde Valley, I'm out just about every weekend mostly northern/central AZ. Anyone looking for info on the area feel free to ask. I don't really have any set routes, just out and about cruising.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I'm in the Verde Valley, I'm out just about every weekend mostly northern/central AZ. Anyone looking for info on the area feel free to ask. I don't really have any set routes, just out and about cruising.
When I get a chance I will hit you up with a screenshot and trail numbers to see if you are familiar with a place NE of Camp Verde.

Welcome

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Central Phoenix and work at SDHQ in Gilbert at the corner of McQueen and Elliott. Stop by and say hi whenever.
Nice shop there. Maybe we can do a meetup there sometime. Welcome.

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

I'm over in Texas, but had the pleasure of visiting Sedona and surrounding areas August of 2015.
I didn't know anyone out there at the time that could go out and wheel while I was there.
I ended up exploring the Sedona trails alone: Broken Arrow, Schnebly Hill and Soldiers Pass.
I did talk the wife into going down into the GC with me, which was great. She doesn't wheel but she loved the trip!
Next time I head out I'll check here first. I loved AZ!
20150828_102715 (Large).jpg 20150825_093247.jpg 20150826_133634.jpg

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
AZ Overlanders MeetUp at REI Parking Lot in Tempe. 2-5 today. Just a casual event to see other folks rigs and ask questions. We will try to park along the north side of the lot along Southern Ave.

If you would like more timely notices join the free MeetUp.com group.

- Chris

tubbsisland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

85016 Phoenix Az
Member #

AZ Overlanders MeetUp at REI Parking Lot in Tempe. 2-5 today. Just a casual event to see other folks rigs and ask questions. We will try to park along the north side of the lot along Southern Ave.

If you would like more timely notices join the free MeetUp.com group.

- Chris
wish I would have seen this earlier, but a retail parking lot meet up sounds a little boring. At least go somewhere with food or drink available

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
wish I would have seen this earlier, but a retail parking lot meet up sounds a little boring. At least go somewhere with food or drink available
Join the MeetUp group and you will be in the loop on all events. As for a parking lot meetup being "a little boring" it depends on what you are looking to accomplish. They are perfect to show off your rig and share knowledge. We also do trips and will meet indoors when the weather is too hot. I will be looking for additional people to lead trips and events so feel free to step up and volunteer to organize something.

There is no perfect time, place, or date for events. So we will mix it up. Different spots in the valley, different types of trips but most will offer the ability to either do them as a day trip or camp.

Reactions: TXpedition

tubbsisland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

85016 Phoenix Az
Member #

Join the MeetUp group and you will be in the loop on all events. As for a parking lot meetup being "a little boring" it depends on what you are looking to accomplish. They are perfect to show off your rig and share knowledge. We also do trips and will meet indoors when the weather is too hot. I will be looking for additional people to lead trips and events so feel free to step up and volunteer to organize something.

There is no perfect time, place, or date for events. So we will mix it up. Different spots in the valley, different types of trips but most will offer the ability to either do them as a day trip or camp.
send me a link! more than willing to lead a few trips or set up some hang outs here at the shop if hanging out in a parking lot is the norm. I used to set something up pretty much every other week way back in the day for the TacomaWorld crew.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
send me a link! more than willing to lead a few trips or set up some hang outs here at the shop if hanging out in a parking lot is the norm. I used to set something up pretty much every other week way back in the day for the TacomaWorld crew.
https://www.meetup.com/AZ-Overlanders/ and yes SDHQ would always be a welcome location.

Reactions: Gunnermoose