Arizona Overlanders

• HTML tutorial

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Eric, I just recorded another track along the Borderlands this past weekend and marked out a few campsites and such. Here's the data in case you are interested: https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/track/54dd343c619849ae7b25e53f9c2ef0ec/

Thanks for the Borderlands track - we may make this one of the options on our "to-do list". By the way have you or anyone in the AZ Overlander's group put in any time in the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument? Looking for less traveled areas and unique adventures.

I tried to search for any threads on this site but didn't find any (or perhaps my search skills/approach wasn't appropriate).

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
By the way have you or anyone in the AZ Overlander's group put in any time in the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument? Looking for less traveled areas and unique adventures.
The route you want to search for is called "El Camino Del Diablo", and it is supposed to be really interesting and incredibly remote. I have not done the route yet, it's at the top of my TO DO list though, and I hope to do it come January or February. It's typically a three day trip if you go end to end, and you will need to be 100% self supported, there is no food, gas, or water stops on the route. There's a great write up on Expedition Portal and a nice video series and writeup by AZ Offroad. If you are interested in doing the full route, there is a permit required, as you pass through a wildlife refuge and a LIVE bombing range. I believe you will also need to sign in with close to exact times and locations of when you will pass through the bombing range - you know, so you don't get blown up. If you are only interested in the eastern section where it cuts through Organ Pipe, I think you'll be fine without the permit, but do a bit of research to make sure.

I believe @1Louder and @Gunnermoose have done the route so they may have more specific information

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

The route you want to search for is called "El Camino Del Diablo", and it is supposed to be really interesting and incredibly remote. I have not done the route yet, it's at the top of my TO DO list though, and I hope to do it come January or February. It's typically a three day trip if you go end to end, and you will need to be 100% self supported, there is no food, gas, or water stops on the route. There's a great write up on Expedition Portal and a nice video series and writeup by AZ Offroad. If you are interested in doing the full route, there is a permit required, as you pass through a wildlife refuge and a LIVE bombing range. I believe you will also need to sign in with close to exact times and locations of when you will pass through the bombing range - you know, so you don't get blown up. If you are only interested in the eastern section where it cuts through Organ Pipe, I think you'll be fine without the permit, but do a bit of research to make sure.

I believe @1Louder and @Gunnermoose have done the route so they may have more specific information
Perfect info! Just what I was looking for. I recently read an older post on "Four Wheeler Network" but referenced a trip back in 2011, it did, however, contain pretty good details for several POI. Was just wondering if anyone of the AZ crew had visited the area in more recent times.

Thanks also for the insight regarding self-sufficiency and remoteness of the area. We (wife and I) do carry 14+ gallons of water, and an additional 5 gal of gasoline - plus enough food and camp fuel for about 5 days before we have to work our way into the "canned food or freeze dried" stash (yuk!). Additionally we carry a Garmin inReach for "dire emergencies" so I think we can "pull it off" - but no one ever knows what any adventure trip will bring.

What we have found, over the years, is that the more disastrous and frightening the "adventure" seems at the time - or the misadventure in some cases - the more profound the memories and the greater the story left to tell. Of course that precludes any artillery, bombing runs, or machine gun fire! LOL In years past we have had the opportunity to wake up in the middle of the night to a ROARing sound (like an angry dragon) overhead in the forest which brought back some tense past SE Asia memories for me... I had forgotten we were camping near an Army training range and a C130 was making several 25mm Gatling gun runs in the distance but close enough to cause a significant "pucker factor" for me. LOL

Really appreciate your prompt reply.

Reactions: brien

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
@Gunnermoose is the expert. I have only done the trip once. Happy to lead a future trip. It is a fun and interesting trail. Not technical at all but fairly scenic and certainly historical.

I have been way too busy in late 2017 with moving into a new house and few other things. I have not even been on OB in weeks or any other site. I look forward to making a comeback this spring.

Chase F

Rank 0

Traveler I

I wouldn’t have a problem with this trip, but I know my family would be worried sick about dangerous smugglers and the such. What are the realistic chances of running into those situations?

I carry, so I’m not too worried. But, it is fact the only reason I haven’t ran anything closer to the boarder.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Kanobee

Jason Mainville

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I would love to do this run, but wont have the time until beginning of next year. I hunt in 36b pretty regularly so the proximity to the boarder doesn't bother me. While I probably could do this trip, I would like to do it with a group for the first time at least

Reactions: Chase F

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I wouldn’t have a problem with this trip, but I know my family would be worried sick about dangerous smugglers and the such. What are the realistic chances of running into those situations?

I carry, so I’m not too worried. But, it is fact the only reason I haven’t ran anything closer to the boarder.
My family and I explore along the border pretty regularly. My wife and I have three kids aged 4 months to 9 years and i've never felt in danger. We definitely keep our wits about us, but have never ran into any trouble. I personally don't carry, but I've been told by the Border Patrol it wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea. meh. I've talked with a lot of BP agents and a common theme I hear over and over is that, generally speaking, the absolute last thing smugglers want to do is have any sort of encounter with anybody. Even if they are in trouble, lost, or out of food/water, they don't know who will help them and who will report them, and if they are reported and/or cause any sort of incident, they know the cartels will just kill them and move on. In all our travels along the border, the only other people we typically come across are border patrol, usually a few each day, and their presence is very clear all over the place.

Story time: This past weekend we were camping near the AZ/NM border about 25 miles north of Mexico in a random dispersed campsite off of the Geronimo Trail, I was woken up just before first light by a patrol truck with flood lights a-blazin' driving by at like 2mph. I got up and started making my coffee and they drove back by again from the other direction. After sunrise we saw another agent drive by and wave, then drive back by the other way about 15 minutes later. This was very unusual for us, since we don't typically see that concentration of agents, and we have never seen them crawling up the road full flood lights in the dark. After we had packed up camp and headed back out down the trail we ran across one of the agents from the morning and stopped to chat for a while. He asked if we had heard or seen anything that night, which we hadn't. Apparently they were tracking a party of 7 and had a horse team following footprints. With all the FLIR cameras and lookouts and equipment they have out there, it seems to me like the border patrol is way more likely to find any smugglers before they would even reach us. The presence of agents is just so prevalent, we'd be hard pressed to go more than an hour without crossing paths with at least one. We've been adventuring along the border maybe 8 times in the last 6 months, and this is the closest thing to an encounter we've ever had.

Chase F

Rank 0

Traveler I

That is definitely reassuring. Sounds like I may be making a trek down that way.

Now, I’m just worried if I’ll be able to sleep knowing what’s out there and being vulnerable at the dead of night.

Traveler I

Get a dog to take with you. I live 10 minutes for the border and camp out in the desert all the time. While I do carry every place I go I have yet to need to use it. But my dogs keep most things two and four legged away.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Chase F

Chase F

Rank 0

Traveler I

Get a dog to take with you. I live 10 minutes for the border and camp out in the desert all the time. While I do carry every place I go I have yet to need to use it. But my dogs keep most things two and four legged away.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app
Well, I do have a German Shepherd who is very loyal and protective. That should work, lol.

Surprise, AZ
2011 Ram 1500
Insta: Chase_Frazee

Reactions: Federalfighter

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Yeah, i'm much more spooked out by the possibility of wildlife visits while i'm camping down there (and anywhere, really). We pulled into one camp spot last weekend and as we were setting up I noticed a completely shredded up deer carcass about 30 feet away, and next to that was what appeared to have likely resembled a rabbit at some point. Thankfully we weren't visited by whatever made those messes, likely a mountain lion i'm guessing.

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
Attempted to run the El Camino del Diablo last January travelling west to east. Unfortunately it had been a wet winter down there. Wet and the ECDD don't mix. The Pinta sands turn to a bottomless sludge that is beyond slick and dries on your vehicle like concrete. Managed to self recover after getting stuck and pressed on. But the San Cristobol Wash proved impassable and we came out the way we went in. A trip report and photos are here . Plan to attempt it again soon.

The trip is best done in 3 days. It isn't technical or difficult. It is very remote because you are blocked in by the border south and impassable desert north which is also a live gunnery range for USAF and USMC aircraft. Having a reliable vehicle is a MUST.

This is a historic trade route first traversed by Europeans in the 1500s, but in use long before that. The route linked somewhat reliable water sources in a harsh land, but there is no accounting of the number of deaths among travelers over time along this trail. Over 400 49ers are estimated to have died trying to get to the California gold fields via the ECDD.

I will try to post a trip report and a track after my next attempt. I'm looking for some redemption on del Diablo.

SgtMac

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tucson, AZ 85747, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
McGuire
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Ret.
El Camino del Diablo definatly added to my list of trails to do. Also looking at Montezuma Canyon Road

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
El Camino del Diablo definatly added to my list of trails to do. Also looking at Montezuma Canyon Road
Montezuma Canyon Road and all along that corridor are beautiful. We explore that area pretty regularly. Lots of interesting mines and historical spots to see down there

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Hi I am traveling to AZ from FL for 2 weeks. Would you mind sending me some trails? I have the Gaia app.
Are you planning on hitting up any particular part of AZ? North, central, southern?