Are my wheels and tires big enough to off-road!?

• HTML tutorial

Tacodrew22

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Michigan, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Haight
Also a question for some of you guys. The cooper discover rugged treks I got are 265/70r16 5ply tread and 2ply sidewall. Seems like lots of people recommended 6ply tread and 3ply sidewall. Should I be overly concerned about blow outs. I do have a full-size spare but obviously would like to avoid a blow out.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Also a question for some of you guys. The cooper discover rugged treks I got are 265/70r16 5ply tread and 2ply sidewall. Seems like lots of people recommended 6ply tread and 3ply sidewall. Should I be overly concerned about blow outs. I do have a full-size spare but obviously would like to avoid a blow out.
Properly airing down your tires not only increases traction but also helps protect your tires from punctures. Invest in a good air down tool and a compressor and always air down when you hit the dirt and you should be good to go.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

*knock on wood* I have never ad issues with sidewall punctures. Pick lines carefully, air down when needed, and keep an eye out. I have run passenger tires but I keep a full size spare and a tire plug kit handy too.

MY275

Rank V

Explorer I

Canton, North Carolina, United States
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Yelton
Member #

Hello everyone. I’m new to this forum and frankly new to off-road and “Overlanding” in general. I have a 2022 Tacoma Trd-off-road with a 2” suspension lift. I drove around with the stock wheels and tires for awhile but, this past week I upgraded. I really wanted to keep the stock driving characteristic of the truck. I drove most of my time on road. But I wanted to make my truck able to handle off-roading and trails on the weekend camping trips. I live in Michigan and most of the trails aren’t too bad as I did them stock but would like to make a trip out west to ride some of the harder trails. I ended up going with method mr701 16x8 0 offset wrapped in 265/70R16 cooper discover rugged trek tires. But now after looking into it I feel maybe these won’t be quite big enough. Looking for some knowledge from some veteran off-roaders. Will I be able to tackle off-roading and Overlanding with this setup. Thanks in advance. Happy Labor Day!!View attachment 239932View attachment 239934View attachment 239933View attachment 239936
Hi Drew,
The short answer to your question is yes, absolutely. The size and type of tire you describe is a great all-around choice for a truck that spends a lot of time on the pavement, but is still ready to hit the trails when you can. A good 4x4, quality tires and decent ground clearance is all you really need to get out and start enjoying some great adventures. If you are new to off-roading as you say, then it’s likely your Tacoma is currently capable of anything your driving skills are ready to tackle. As your confidence increases, you will push your limits and eventually get stuck, no matter how much tire you have under you. It’s part of the adventure. Have a plan and the capability to recover your rig and get back after it. Get out there and enjoy yourself.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Hi Drew,
The short answer to your question is yes, absolutely. The size and type of tire you describe is a great all-around choice for a truck that spends a lot of time on the pavement, but is still ready to hit the trails when you can. A good 4x4, quality tires and decent ground clearance is all you really need to get out and start enjoying some great adventures. If you are new to off-roading as you say, then it’s likely your Tacoma is currently capable of anything your driving skills are ready to tackle. As your confidence increases, you will push your limits and eventually get stuck, no matter how much tire you have under you. It’s part of the adventure. Have a plan and the capability to recover your rig and get back after it. Get out there and enjoy yourself.
This right here. Yes, your tires are big enough. My current rig had 265/70r16 worn at tires when I bought it. I ran those for two years before replacing them. I never had an issue with punctures or traction. Or clearance.

Edit - I responded without reading any comments or the original post. I stand by my statement.

Your tires are plenty big enough. Also, those rugged treks will be just fine. My frontier (which is NOT my dedicated overland rig, but still sees plenty of off road use) had all season tires on it until about four months ago.

My wife wheeled it down this hill on all season tires:

No punctures or traction issues. And no, she didn't break the truck. Only a damaged plastic mudflap (and a very proud husband).

Last edited:

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Yes, They are big enough. The stock tires were big enough, well....until you bolted on the Amazon steps. Those gotta go. You WILL catch the steps on something and bend them. Or, as to gain confidence you will eventually hit the rail portion on something solid and bend the lower rocker. Function first!

Tacodrew22

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Michigan, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Haight
Yes, They are big enough. The stock tires were big enough, well....until you bolted on the Amazon steps. Those gotta go. You WILL catch the steps on something and bend them. Or, as to gain confidence you will eventually hit the rail portion on something solid and bend the lower rocker. Function first!
Those are the factory steps. And yes rock sliders are my next mod. I already have a full set of skid plates on the way!

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

Properly airing down your tires not only increases traction but also helps protect your tires from punctures. Invest in a good air down tool and a compressor and always air down when you hit the dirt and you should be good to go.
Airing down your tires also increases your exposure to sidewall damage. Depends on the dirt. I air down when the surface requires additional traction. Some dirt roads are fine at manufacturer's recommended cold pressures. Also, one needs to consider weight of the rig, as one size does not fit all in airing down decisions. Airing down diminishes clearance. There is no set, universal standard.

Last edited:
Reactions: DintDobbs

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Airing down your tires also increases your exposure to sidewall damage. Depends on the dirt. I air down when the surface requires additional traction. Some dirt roads are fine at manufacturer's recommended cold pressures. Also, one needs to consider weight of the rig, as one size does not fit all in airing down decisions. There is no set, universal standard.
Disagree, at off road speeds, airing down decreases the chance of damage by making the tire more flexible. Obviously don't air down on hard pack. It's the speed vs the pressure that causes the excess hest buildup. And yes, the amount to air down will vary based on conditions, weight, etc, which is why I didn't prescribe any particular pressure.

Reactions: bear_den_overland

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

Disagree, at off road speeds, airing down decreases the chance of damage by making the tire more flexible. Obviously don't air down on hard pack. It's the speed vs the pressure that causes the excess hest buildup. And yes, the amount to air down will vary based on conditions, weight, etc, which is why I didn't prescribe any particular pressure.
With any tire, the lower the pressure, the wider the sidewall-to-sidewall distance. Yes, the tire is more flexible. More sidewall will be exposed to surface hazards. A sharp side rock doesn't care about flexility.

Reactions: DintDobbs

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

With any tire, the lower the pressure, the wider the sidewall-to-sidewall distance. Yes, the tire is more flexible. More sidewall will be exposed to surface hazards. A sharp side rock doesn't care about flexility.
Yes it absolutely does care about flexibility. Less pressure means the rubber is more likely to flex than puncture. Take a balloon that is only slightly inflated vs one that is fully inflated and see which one is easier to pop.

Literally the only time I've had sidewall damage is when I failed to properly air down. That is obviously not to say that airing down makes your tire invincible, but it is a very well established fact that airing down generally speaking reduces the overall chance of any sort of puncture.

Another benefit of airing down is that it significantly reduces the wear and tear on your vehicle from vibration, because the softer tire acts to cushion the shock on other vehicle components.

Reactions: Old Tanker

Scott_1a274e

Rank II

Contributor II

First Name
Scott
Last Name
Santala
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6NPO
Service Branch
Veteran US Air Force
What's the latest on Ganbaru?

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

What's the latest on Ganbaru?
Hey there! Sadly, Ganbaru is no more. The timing belt snapped on the highway during our move from BC to Alberta last June, and all the factors invovled, one of the biggest being our need for a pickup as we bought a 5 acre property, added up to it not making sense to roll the dice on trying to fix it.

My new ride is Rumble, a 2006 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab:
media.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MazeVX and Arailt

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
If you need the 35's, you will do whatever it takes and pay whatever it costs to be able to make them go on.

If you don't need the 35's, then you just don't need them, and spending the time and money is a waste.

My truck has 33" tires and I've used all 33 inches of them, and still smacked the uncercarriage on rocks.

Conversely, I've also outwheeled a heavily-built JL on loose sand in a stock 2000 Ford Explorer on 30's. And laughed. A lot.

It's all about learning physics and knowing how they apply to your vehicle's many mechanisms. An ignorant dummy can get any vehicle stuck, while a competent driver who knows the rig can get past just about any thing that isn't mud or cliffs.

Reactions: CR-Venturer

Tacodrew22

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Michigan, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Haight
I thought this may be a good time to give a nice update on this thread. After 1 full year of wheeling a lot. I was wheeling hard and I can confidently come back to this and say that my wheels were plenty for what I encountered in 3 states. Did I find some moments where bigger would have been nice of course. I got to wheel all throughout Michigan, West Virginia, and Kentucky. I had such an amazing time in the process and it has been amazing thought I’d share some photos! IMG_1260.jpegIMG_0046.pngIMG_1256.jpegIMG_1217.jpegIMG_9926.jpegIMG_9852.jpegIMG_9639.jpegIMG_9882.jpegIMG_0721.jpegIMG_0780.jpegIMG_1204.jpegIMG_1211.jpegIMG_1215.jpegIMG_9929.jpeg

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I thought this may be a good time to give a nice update on this thread. After 1 full year of wheeling a lot. I was wheeling hard and I can confidently come back to this and say that my wheels were plenty for what I encountered in 3 states. Did I find some moments where bigger would have been nice of course. I got to wheel all throughout Michigan, West Virginia, and Kentucky. I had such an amazing time in the process and it has been amazing thought I’d share some photos! View attachment 267084View attachment 267077View attachment 267085View attachment 267083View attachment 267082View attachment 267080View attachment 267081View attachment 267079View attachment 267076View attachment 267075View attachment 267074View attachment 267073View attachment 267072View attachment 267078
Great photos! It's awesome to see a new member getting out and adventuring, hopefully with greater confidence and skill thanks to the useful input of many here.

Once you cut those useless steps off, depending on how those rails are bolted onto the truck, they will probably make decent sliders at least for the time being - they look pretty solid.

Cheers!