FindAReason

Rank 0

Traveler I

CA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Hale
It does not seem any better than a level to me.

Unless hooked up to an auto leveler, a program like this is kind of gimmicky.

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
It does not seem any better than a level to me.

Unless hooked up to an auto leveler, a program like this is kind of gimmicky.
Those were my thoughts exactly. I was approached with a software development idea very similar to that app, but was wondering how much demand there was for such a thing.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I tried the one from Truma, but have since defaulted back to the one that comes standard on the iPhone, that is the Measure app. I find it works with about the same “level” of accuracy as any of the other.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I have a couple of "Empire" yellow composite beam levels. If I need to make sure my truck is level, one sits on the back bumper and one sits on a side step. I'm sure I could translate that to a travel trailer somehow if I wanted to.

Alternatively, my 1980's Silva Ranger Type 15 mirror-sighting compass has a clinometer (inclinometer?) And I can just use that.

The Brunton TruArc 15 mirror sight compass has a circular bubble level as well. I dont own one, but I hope to soon, as my Silva is some 35 years old.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I just use the built-in tools in my smartphone, both my previous iPhone and current Samsung Galaxy have built-in level apps that makes it really easy to do a level check when parking.

Reactions: Boort

Morrisdl

Rank II

Enthusiast II

SML, VA
I have an app for leveling that ACTUALLY levels.
Only works with land rover air suspensions; called GAP IIDTOOL.
There is some newer apps that will auto-level and that what I was hoping to find. ;-D

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I have an app for leveling that ACTUALLY levels.
Only works with land rover air suspensions; called GAP IIDTOOL.
There is some newer apps that will auto-level and that what I was hoping to find. ;-D
Now that would be cool! I wish I liked air suspension more than I do, every time I raise my wife's Jeep up I feel like one of these frogs. Someone really needs to come up with an air system that allows the vehicle to be raised and lowered without affecting ride or suspension travel. :)

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I have a small magnetic level that works great, also have a 1 inch long bubble level and of course the app on my iPhone. I like the magnetic one because i can stick it just about anywhere on my truck and it stays put!

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Anyone use something like this app to help you level your rig at base camp?
@Matt Hixson

I can't say I'd use this with my current 4Runner setup as I just pull into a spot that feels fairly level and cal it good. Drawers have lock in/lock out slides do not much issue if front/back is out of level. If I'm sleeping in the rig (rather than in a tent, hammock or under the stars) then I might just use the existing bubble level app to get a bit closer to level.

That said I can see the use for an app like that for use with my Pop-up trailer. Clip one phone on the trailer as the sending unit then bring up the App on another phone on the truck's, dash link them over Wifi, and be able to see when the trailer is in a level spot w/o having to keep getting out and checking the bubble levels or having a spotter. Add in remote camera function so I can see behind my trailer as part of the heads up display and I'd probably pay $10-$20 for that app. Just so I could go out alone more easily.

They have hard mount cameras like this but cost way to much and are not a versatile as a pair of cellphones and the right mounts would be.
IE:
  • Backing up into a tight spot, mount in hitch of trailer to see behind it. (more value if included tunable distance scale as part of overlay)
  • Hooking up mount on old Tacoma or 4Runner w/o backup camera Mag Mount to tailgate and be able to put the ball under the hitch w/o help.
  • Trailer Leveling overlay so I can get an idea if I'm going to need to break out the legos and know which side they need to be under.
Regards;
Boort