Any Tips, Tricks or Cautions for Vertically Mounting ROAM/Pelican/etc. Cases?

• HTML tutorial

K9LTW

Rank IV
Investor

Traveler III

Front Royal, VA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Arnold
Member #

I have an Expedition One, dual-swingout bumper on the back of our Power Wagon. In an effort to relocate stuff like recovery gear out of the camper and free up space for other stuff, I'm thinking of mounting a large case (test fitting stuff in a buddy's ROAM 165L) to one of the swingouts vertically. I have a full-size 37" spare there, but I bought a used 35" tire to use as a spare as it's close enough in size and would just ensure it's on the front axle if needed. I can finesse that into the stock location under the bed.

Has anyone done this? In theory, running 4-6 pieces of 1/2" bolts with washers would hold it (assuming I can get the ribs to line up well...or use a backing plate). Realizing this is not how they're intended to be mounted, a concern I have is how well the case will survive vibration and such; specifically the risk of the holes the hardware runs through enlarging. Legit worry...or tilting at windmills?

Of course, as usual, I'm trying to come up with not-insignificant solutions just 4 weeks out from a 4-week trip while my bumper is at the shop getting powder coated. So I can't even truly mock it up in the meantime (not that I'd be drilling holes through a buddy's case).

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I have the expedition one dual swing and if you have the vertical jerry can mount tgis should work. there are many different holes on there that you can secure with. Theoretically it wouldnt be a problem. I have 2 4gal rotopax cans and 2 5gal nato style jerry cans on the one swing out and 33" tire on the other (plenty of room to spare).

K9LTW

Rank IV
Investor

Traveler III

Front Royal, VA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Arnold
Member #

I have the expedition one dual swing and if you have the vertical jerry can mount tgis should work. there are many different holes on there that you can secure with. Theoretically it wouldnt be a problem. I have 2 4gal rotopax cans and 2 5gal nato style jerry cans on the one swing out and 33" tire on the other (plenty of room to spare).
So space isn’t the issue. I have 2x 4-gal Rotopax and my propane on one swingout. Dimensionally I know I can get a large case on the other one. My concern is whether the case will survive with just bolts and washers with 50 +/- pounds in it. I don’t feel like plunking down a cool grand for a metal box from Owl Vans or something

As an aside…I started with a Chassis Unlimited dual swingout. Really wish I’d have gone with the Expedition One from the get go. Vastly superior!

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I have a motorcycle with 2 Pelican 1550's bolted to a frame. Large washers. They have been on there since 2008 and I have loaded them up and taken several tours and used them for commuting and grocery shopping(each case can hold 2 full bags). If the recovery gear is soft, ropes and straps and soft shackles, I see no issues. Heavy stuff bouncing around won't be good.