Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

I posted a few weeks back on Facebook about the possibility of running a Patreon. I've got a document atached that provides a rough idea of what the cost could be per month/year, what sort of content we would create with it, and the goal levels at which we would start creating it. As always group feedback is greatly appreciated and it's how I end up putting things in motion or shelving them. So if you have questions, comments, ideas, or whatever let me know.
Woah... lot's of interesting things I see in there! I think it's a great idea, & I'm happy to see that sites like patreon have become more widely accepted. Especially with the recent turmoil on youtube involving "advertiser unfriendly" content that's being demonetized... aka whatever fleeting mood youtube staff is in at any particular moment.

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Woah... lot's of interesting things I see in there! I think it's a great idea, & I'm happy to see that sites like patreon have become more widely accepted. Especially with the recent turmoil on youtube involving "advertiser unfriendly" content that's being demonetized... aka whatever fleeting mood youtube staff is in at any particular moment.
It was either Patreon, Kickstarter, or run a members only section. Patreon seems the best because I can scale up or down depending on the amount of funds coming or going. I know there's some people who aren't happy with Patreon and how they're currently doing business. There aren't many platforms to use though and I want to start building on what I've already got going.

Sent from my VS995 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Tinker

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Makes sense, have to weigh the pro's & con's even when there may not be much to choose from.

Oh & I see now that when I do a plain 'ole google search for "michigan overland" that now it has become the top result. In the past I noticed it seemed to vary around 3rd or so in the results list, so I think your continued work on the Wrong-Turn posts are helping quite a bit!

Reactions: Fleamac

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Makes sense, have to weigh the pro's & con's even when there may not be much to choose from.

Oh & I see now that when I do a plain 'ole google search for "michigan overland" that now it has become the top result. In the past I noticed it seemed to vary around 3rd or so in the results list, so I think your continued work on the Wrong-Turn posts are helping quite a bit!
Yes sir, seems to be working [emoji16] I surpassed UP Overland which used to be the number one spot. Now just need to work the adventure angle and pass Michigan Adventure.

Sent from my iPad using Overland Bound Talk

Reactions: Fleamac

KerrClan74

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portage, MI
Member #

Just joined a few days ago. Been watching some adventures on YouTube. Recognize the trucks. Just getting into the overloading bit. Any adventures coming up this year?

Reactions: michiganoverland

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Just joined a few days ago. Been watching some adventures on YouTube. Recognize the trucks. Just getting into the overloading bit. Any adventures coming up this year?
I don't have anything planned group wise yet. We do have a member sponsored event Memorial weekend at Rocks & Valleys. In September well also be up in the UP for the Keeweenaw Overland Adventure Retreat. The plan there is to do some camping and site seeing on the way to it. No details on that aspect yet.

Reactions: 58-fc170

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I've been trying to get something working for cross communication between our Facebook group and the OB folks who don't use Facebook. I've got something stood up that is similar to how Facebook works on the site. I could use some people to test it out. Shoot me a message if you're interested and I'll provide some additional details.

Reactions: Tinker and GatorDoc

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Thank you. Looks like you're not far from me. Any good tracks around? I've been wandering around the Flat River State Game area a bit, but haven't gotten too carried away without anybody to explore with.
Yep! Usually wandering between Lowell & Ionia when I'm not working, but there isn't anything for trails around here anymore without going north (Newaygo county, Lake county, etc).

Reactions: cunnibra

cunnibra

Rank 0

Traveler I

Ada, MI
Are you guys running mostly fire roads? Technical trails? Mud? Just curious.

I'm originally from the Flint/Saginaw area and grew up running the power lines with my buddies in a 4x4 S-10 as a kid. Went to school in Florida and then work in Virginia for a couple years and landed in the GR area about 2004. Spent much of the last couple decades focused on motorcycles and cars and now looking to get back off road with the family a bit.

Most of the dirt roads around here in the game areas and such seem to be either smooth and wide or else completely rutted/roosted by guys with 37"+ tires. I have spent a fair amount of time in the national forest up around Newaygo/Baldwin. Usually with our old camper in tow and 70 psi in the tires.

Found my way to OB via videos and searches as I'm kind of over hauling the old camper and I'd like to somehow configure my 99 F250 crew cab diesel to sleep my wife and I and our 4 and 6 y/0 kids plus dog. I was looking at dirtbag camping setups and roof top tents and stumbled across all the "overlanding" videos on YouTube with the crew of guys with no jobs and $60K rigs travelling for weeks on end.

Sorry for the essay. Hoping to find a happy medium, get some advice and meet some folks. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Reactions: Andy G

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Welcome .

As far as what is run it can vary but I doubt many will be running any hard core rock climbs or massive mud bogs. Mainly run are two tracks, back country dirt roads and in general the routes less traveled during long weekends or planned weeks in the summer .

Yes there are extremes to “overlanding” and most fit somewhere in between . It’s about what works for you to get out and explore.

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

The events I’ve held and been on where all dirt/fire roads. Nothing too hardcore. I drive a Suburban and sleep in the back of it. I haven’t hit anything I was overly concerned with. If MO hosts any events I try and make it friendly to all vehicles. No rock crawling or anything that could possibly damage vehicles.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
The events I’ve held and been on where all dirt/fire roads. Nothing too hardcore. I drive a Suburban and sleep in the back of it. I haven’t hit anything I was overly concerned with. If MO hosts any events I try and make it friendly to all vehicles. No rock crawling or anything that could possibly damage vehicles.

The few events I've been to, except for the optional alternate routes, could be serviced by anything with AWD and a little ground clearance like a Forester or a CRV. Sometimes there's a bit of water/mud but never terribly deep.

Last edited:

GatorDoc

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Norton Shores, MI
First Name
butt
Last Name
hole
Member #

In case you guys missed it in the regional forum:

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/index.php?threads/14567/

TL;DR: the DNR is looking for public input on keeping Forest service roads in the UP open to ORVs, or not. Maybe not super relevant, since either way doesn't affect the vehicles we have registered for street use (SoS plated), but more open is better than setting the tone for closures or reduced access.

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

In case you guys missed it in the regional forum:

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/index.php?threads/14567/

TL;DR: the DNR is looking for public input on keeping Forest service roads in the UP open to ORVs, or not. Maybe not super relevant, since either way doesn't affect the vehicles we have registered for street use (SoS plated), but more open is better than setting the tone for closures or reduced access.
Good lookin out & that last bit you said there is the same way I've always thought about it too.

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

A few announcements:

1) The store is in a soft open status (michiganoverland.com/shop/). Currently, the only offerings are 5 different types of stickers and one refrigerator magnet. The quantities are low, about 10 per item for the stickers and about 20 for the magnet. Payment is done through PayPal right now until I can figure out how to work in more options. Backorders are allowed. Meaning you can order something but may have to wait for a new order batch to come in. We are going to try to get things out within a few days of orders but we are relatively new at this so please be patient with us. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot a message to me.

2) More stuff is coming. I am going to get to the t-shirt printer this coming week to get some test prints done.

3) The community link is active (community.michiganoverland.com). It's meant to be a bridge between the folks here on Facebook and from other places (OB Forum, Instagram, Twitter, etc.). It looks and functions similar to Facebook but is much more limited. Sign up if you'd like, check it out, provide some feedback.

Last edited:

Fleamac

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate III

Lowell, Michigan
First Name
Gus
Last Name
M
Member #

I've been trying to get something working for cross communication between our Facebook group and the OB folks who don't use Facebook. I've got something stood up that is similar to how Facebook works on the site. I could use some people to test it out. Shoot me a message if you're interested and I'll provide some additional details.

Me! That's me!

I don't use Faceplant. You created something similar? What is it? Where is it?