Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

@RyanC @GatorDoc I haven't put anything formal into place yet. Unfortunately something has come up that may prohibit me from going. Which is a super bummer for me because it's the only trip I had planned for the year.

Sent from my VS995 using OB Talk mobile app

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
That's a good question.

I am tentatively planning on taking that whole week off, plus the following Monday, but I don't have specific plans at this point, aside from the event.

Seems like an ideal opportunity to get together, though.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using OB Talk mobile app
That's exactly what I did.

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

With KOAR only 4 weeks away, was anyone else planning on going up there early and roaming around for a few days? Hopefully @michiganoverland can still go!
Won't be able to this year. Have a family wedding to go to instead. I've been talking with some folks in the Facebook group though to try and organize a Meetup one evening. I'll post a Rally Point link once I know when it's gonna be.

Reactions: RyanC

GatorDoc

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Norton Shores, MI
First Name
butt
Last Name
hole
Member #

With KOAR only 4 weeks away, was anyone else planning on going up there early and roaming around for a few days? Hopefully @michiganoverland can still go!
Unfortunately I've had some things come up as well. I'm going to try to make it to KOAR still, but if I do it's going to be a flying trip there and back.

Plus side is in going to try to use the vacation time I'm saving to get out to Expo West next year...

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
I would like to see Kitch-Iti-Ipi while I'm up there. Maybe stop by Bark River Knives.

GatorDoc

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Norton Shores, MI
First Name
butt
Last Name
hole
Member #

I would like to see Kitch-Iti-Ipi while I'm up there. Maybe stop by Bark River Knives.
Kitch-Iti-Kipi (Palms Brook State Park) is an awesome experience. I went last summer when I was in the UP for my family reunion in Rapid River (Rapid River Knife Works is worth checking out, since you mentioned Bark River), and it was PACKED; took about 45 minutes to get through the line and on to the boat. That was mid-August, so hopefully the crowds will be less for you since school will be back in session. Fayette Historic State Park is right in that area as well, and is well worth the visit; I spent half a day there, and would have stayed longer if my kids hadn't been getting restless.

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Agreed there are many many nice places to visit in the UP. I forget where it is exactly but there is a nice mine tour in the south western UP. You ride a little train down in most of the way then you can wander around.

ovrlndng

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
McElhinny
That's the Iron Mountain Iron Mine, right on US-2 east of Norway, MI. Fun tour.
Agreed there are many many nice places to visit in the UP. I forget where it is exactly but there is a nice mine tour in the south western UP. You ride a little train down in most of the way then you can wander around.
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Anyone who is going up for KOAR we should probably coordinate and maybe convoy. Even get a few days in before maybe.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
We are getting close to KOAR, should we start a new thread to get an accurate count of who's going? Is there a route planned

etc...

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

We are getting close to KOAR, should we start a new thread to get an accurate count of who's going? Is there a route planned

etc...
I meant to get back to you on your previous post. I don't think anyone from the FB group is planning to get together. I would have spear headed something but alas I will not be attending. If you make a Rally Point I can post the link to the FB group, Garner some interest.

GatorDoc

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Norton Shores, MI
First Name
butt
Last Name
hole
Member #

etc...
I intend to try to make it up, but if I am able to get away to go I won't be headed up until Thursday, so it will be a haul-ass kind of trip for me. If anyone else is doing the same I'd be happy to convoy, but I won't be able to take any extra time before/after due to some critical work commitments that have come up.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
hmm, maybe I need to develop a list of places I want to see and do route planning for myself then. It will be interesting going solo if no-one else is heading up early. I can leave as early as Monday and I wouldn't mind delaying a little if that means I can meet up with someone else. I suck at planning trail routes but now that the DNR has published GPS tracks for the ORV routes maybe I can figure something out.