Air Lockers

• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Hello, I'm a newbie and just joined. Hopefully I'[ll have my own 4x4 by 2020, but until then; I keep on hearing the term front and rear "Air Lockers".

So can anyone tell me just what is an Air Locker; how is it used, and why do you need one?

Thanks,
Cam

Brandon Harvey

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

Cameron,

First off welcome to OB!

Here are a couple of references. Basically Air lockers provide automatic locking to a differential which locks the wheels ensuring you get the traction you need. Some may think that 4x4 means that you have traction at all four wheels. This is not the case unless you have differential lockers on your vehicle. There are situations were you could have a free rolling when and that is the wheel with the traction. A differential will mean that the wheel planted on the ground is the wheel that has the traction. The Airlocker provides that locking mechanism automagically or ensuring you have 100% coverage.

Here are some good resources to do some additional research:
- - - http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/21459/

Again welcome and keep the questions coming.

Bandit

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Sherwood
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KV50
Service Branch
Kern Valley SAR
Cameron,

First off welcome to OB!

Here are a couple of references. Basically Air lockers provide automatic locking to a differential which locks the wheels ensuring you get the traction you need. Some may think that 4x4 means that you have traction at all four wheels. This is not the case unless you have differential lockers on your vehicle. There are situations were you could have a free rolling when and that is the wheel with the traction. A differential will mean that the wheel planted on the ground is the wheel that has the traction. The Airlocker provides that locking mechanism automagically or ensuring you have 100% coverage.

Here are some good resources to do some additional research:
- - - http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/21459/

Again welcome and keep the questions coming.
Excellent Information here. That should be all you need to know!

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Lockers can be very helpful in a bad situation. Not all lockers are air driven. Some are electric and some are just automatic.

There is even a class of lockers, more commonly available on new vehicles, called limited slip lockers.

Air lockers have a weakness. The air lines are prone to fail over time. While they are great when they work, way too many times on outings with a large group, an air locker fails. Even the electrical lockers can have problems. When they first came out, they were sketchy and temperamental to keep adjusted.

There is a class of lockers that can be added to an existing axle carrier without having to go through a costly gear setup, called lunch box lockers. They work well but can give you an annoying bang from time to time as they lock and unlock. These are by far the cheapest and best bang for your buck. :sunglasses:

There is another type of automatic locker that is more robust but still can give you the bang every so often called a Detroit full case locker. It will require your gears to be reset up. They are very bullet proof.

For almost 20 years I have run a lunch box locker up front and a Detroit in the back. I love it and the occasional bang is good for waking up the wife.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Just a point of information. Adding a air locker or Detroit will necessitate a new gear setup. At many shops, they won't re-setup existing gears. That means it can cost upwards to $500 just for labor per axle. Add gears and locker and you are up around $1700 an axle for an air locker. A lunch box locker can be done on your driveway and finished up for about $200 an axle. Pay your money and take your pick.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

IdahoGrizz

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buhl, ID
Member #

I ran ARB air lockers front and rear in my Jeep Cherokee and never had problems with air leakage, but the initial cost is very high. I think a preliminary question for anyone doing some sort of off-highway overlanding is: do I need lockers at all. For most of us, probably not unless you are getting into more extreme "off-roading" that includes rock crawling or lots of mud or snow. Every modification has pitfalls and expense along with the benefits. Keep your vehicle as close to stock as you can and still do what you want to do. Avoid modifications just be with the "in" crowd. Nearly every modification brings with it a trade off: reliability, gas mileage, stability, etc. My 2 cents (based on considerable experience, and I must say, expense).

One other viewpoint: if you need a more highly modified rig, then consider buying one with the mods already completed (carried out by those who know what they are doing). One can usually buy a rig like that for a lot less than starting from scratch.

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
I think the function of a locker has been covered well to this point. I will add my two cents. My 4wd system is a Ram 5 position system. Meaning the system has neural, 2 wd, 4 wheel auto, 4 lock, and 4 low. The 4 lock and low both utilize an electronic center locker. Where 4 wheel auto functions as a part time 4 wd drive system similar to that of an AWD. What I have found is that I rarely need 4wd and need a locker even less but when I do need that locker well I need it! But it is also important to understand the limitations of a locker. It is meant to be used intermittently and just driving around with it engaged can damage your vehicle.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Hello,
Just to add to this discussion. With Ox lockers, you can use a push, pull cable, to lock the locker, or if electric flip a switch, or flip a switch and turn on the air compressor, then the air locker. I have air powered lockers, but if I want to switch to electric, I buy simple parts and off you go. Do not have to buy a new locker. Also, if you ever have a problem with the activation of the locker, there is a small adapter that you screw in the differential, and still locks the locker to get you out of the jam you are in. Back on the pavement, you unscrew the adapter, the differential unlocks, and you drive away! Benz.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

TJM put up a video on their testing process for their (air) "Pro Lockers". Pretty interesting to see what they do to test a design before releasing it.

I went with a Detroit locker in the rear of our Super Duty F-250, they have been around for a long time and much less expensive all around. They do take some getting use to and they always lock up in corners if you get on the throttle.

Once I get the new front axle installed in the truck I will be going with a TJM Dana 60 pro locker.