East Bay, CA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Funcheon
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SXW
Hey Folks,

My goal is to place an onboard air system on my gen 1 Tacoma. Smaller truck and space is sparse and was thinking of mounting the compressor near the spare tire. My question is whether this is a good idea or not, will the elements have an effect on the compressor? will things like water crossings ruin the compressor? Look forward to hearing what others say.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Have a Viar single compressor and a 3 gallon air tank mounted under the cab of our Ram. Routed the air intake up through the left front corner of the bed and installed a filter just below the bed rail (Bed has a hard cover). Been installed for about 5 years and have had no issues. Not the fastest compressor but combined with the air tank serves my needs well. Viar specs on the unit did show it as submersible.

On our JK we have a ARB twin mounted on the side of my drawer system inside the back of the jeep using wasted space between the drawers and side window, stays clean and not that loud when running, but usually we are both outside airing up while its running. super fast compressor, but still want to add a small 1 gallon air tank to improve the airflow for blowing the dust of the rig when we reach camp.

A_l-1028

Rank I

Enthusiast I

You can place it under the bed, but you will want to perform maintenance pretty regularly. Preferably under hood or in the bed with an enclosure. That said though, folks on pirate4x4 would mount puma compressors open under the bed and beat the daylight out of them. In general most oil less compressors should be ok mounted how you're planning, just be sure to inspect it from time to time.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Off-Road Ranger III

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I am not a big fan of mounting a compressor outdoors. Because there it is too exposed to weather, dirt, dust and humidity. Under the hood, it depends on the rig, if it is clean and dry there or if it is also exposed to the elements.

Have mounted my ARB compressor for example in the driver's cab under the seat. There it is dry and away from dust etc., I have mounted two air connection points easily accessible behind the side doors (also protected) and the air pressure reservoir under the rig, well protected behind an outrigger of the frame.

When chosing a place for install a compressor it is also important to look where there is space in the rig, where the power supply comes from and where the wiring has to be placed, etc. And there are certainly more ideas and experiences here. Let's see what else comes together at suggestions in this thread.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
A friend of mine mounted a Puma compressor under his truck. It lasted for a couple years and some water crossings, but ultimately died. I have the same compressor and it is still working fine, so I think the exposure is what killed his. The install was also fairly expensive due to the long large gauge wires required.

What about mounting a compressor under the hood, or in the cabin under a seat? Do you have a particular compressor model in mind?

Reactions: FunchBox

FunchBox

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

East Bay, CA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Funcheon
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SXW
A friend of mine mounted a Puma compressor under his truck. It lasted for a couple years and some water crossings, but ultimately died. I have the same compressor and it is still working fine, so I think the exposure is what killed his. The install was also fairly expensive due to the long large gauge wires required.

What about mounting a compressor under the hood, or in the cabin under a seat? Do you have a particular compressor model in mind?
I hadn’t thought of under the seat, that’s a great suggestion. The hood space is limited and would like to put my aux battery system in the available space. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: El-Dracho

FunchBox

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

East Bay, CA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Funcheon
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SXW
Have a Viar single compressor and a 3 gallon air tank mounted under the cab of our Ram. Routed the air intake up through the left front corner of the bed and installed a filter just below the bed rail (Bed has a hard cover). Been installed for about 5 years and have had no issues. Not the fastest compressor but combined with the air tank serves my needs well. Viar specs on the unit did show it as submersible.

On our JK we have a ARB twin mounted on the side of my drawer system inside the back of the jeep using wasted space between the drawers and side window, stays clean and not that loud when running, but usually we are both outside airing up while its running. super fast compressor, but still want to add a small 1 gallon air tank to improve the airflow for blowing the dust of the rig when we reach camp.
This is a great idea! Do you have any pictures of this? I’m going to check my truck tomorrow

Reactions: OTH Overland

K12

Rank VII

Pathfinder I

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Hey Folks,

My goal is to place an onboard air system on my gen 1 Tacoma. Smaller truck and space is sparse and was thinking of mounting the compressor near the spare tire. My question is whether this is a good idea or not, will the elements have an effect on the compressor? will things like water crossings ruin the compressor? Look forward to hearing what others say.
I have an ARB twin compressor mounted on the underside of the truck bed in my ram. Ir was in the same spot on my old ram as well before I sold it and tranferred it over. Its just forward of the rear tire and just inside of the spring. It doesnt get too wet or ditry, over the past 2ish years through snow, mud, rain and everything else.

Attachments

FunchBox

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

East Bay, CA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Funcheon
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SXW
Hey Folks,

I have an ARB twin compressor mounted on the underside of the truck bed in my ram. Ir was in the same spot on my old ram as well before I sold it and tranferred it over. Its just forward of the rear tire and just inside of the spring. It doesnt get too wet or ditry, over the past 2ish years through snow, mud, rain and everything else.
Thanks for the picture! The twin arb is smaller than I thought. How long does it take to refill tires with the twin?

K12

Rank VII

Pathfinder I

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Hey Folks,

Thanks for the picture! The twin arb is smaller than I thought. How long does it take to refill tires with the twin?
Going from 45psi to 75 psi is about 2 minutes a tire

Reactions: FunchBox

Akicita

Rank IV

Advocate I

Firestone, CO, USA
First Name
Akicita
Last Name
Lakota
Member #

My Viair HD has been mounted under my bed where the spare should be for 3 years now with no issues under heavy use.

20200822_134250.jpg

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
My setup on my Ram is pretty much the same as @Akicita is showing above, except mine is located right below the drivers seat up against the frame rail and enclosed in a skid plate. The ArB twin on the JK is MUCH faster than the Viar on the Ram, but both work well for what I need.
20230121_152554.jpg

20230121_152714.jpg