louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
everybody has been worried that if we don't pick up other people's trash at parks, they might get shut down. looks like they could get shut down for an entirely different reason. we better get all the camping in while we still can....

Last edited:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
after the covid stuff is over, i figure it will be a good idea to visit as many of the national parks as i can...i've never been to mt. rushmore and after hearing how it is under fire too, might need to check it out and get some pics just in case. i just retired a few yrs ago and was really looking forward to traveling to some of these places...guess i need to hurry

KenDF

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Arizona
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Follette
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Working
everybody has been worried that if we don't pick up other people's trash at parks, they might get shut down. looks like they could get shut down for an entirely different reason. we better get all the camping in while we still can....
Simply another case of people looking for problems that don’t exist, the parks are open to everyone, period. However that doesn’t mean camping isn’t coming under attack, campers tend to be self-reliant and self- sufficient, and these are traits that seem to upset certain control freaks. Remain vigilant but my goodness enjoy the outdoors.

Joshua Buss

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

18245 40th Ave NE, Lake Forest Park, WA, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Buss
Member #

This problem is reflected everywhere. Not being interested in something is different then racism. In some cases you can change the environment to make different sub groups feel more welcome and invited. I don’t really think you can change the wilderness. But they could make efforts to advertise the idea of camping and exploration to a more diverse community. My wife is a person of color and I can see how these situation can arise. A simple media effort directed towards a broad yet more diverse community would solve some of these issues. I hear spots on my local sports talk station advertising getting into nature. I feel a better ad campaign could help start a change in this situation.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
It's all B.S. Who cares what the percentages are regarding racial lines ? Only a racists ! I am considered white but I have been a minority all my life because of where I live. I personally don't see color, I see people.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I can appreciate that. I grew up very rural, but have spent my career working with people who grew up in large cities. The idea of getting out in the woods is so foreign to them, and downright scary to some.
See thats my point its not for everyone but since its not, it makes it racisit? so if you cant swim and avid the pool does that make it racisit?

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i'm definitely not seeing how anything dealing with national parks is racist, but arguing that point will only make it worse. i wonder if a solution would be to charge more for entrance fees and camping fees, etc and then make it free to all non-whites? i'd rather pay more and let others in for free than to lose it all together. there are already many programs for free housing, free food, free medical, free phones, etc...just add free park admission and maybe have some special cabins set aside that are furnished and can only be used by people that are already in gov't housing. the money is already going to get spent someway...i would rather see some kind of solution rather than everything just get taken away for good

i know its a shit deal, but i've spent my entire life busting hump and have already paid a good bit of my net worth in taxes and divorces...what time and money i manage to have left, i just want to travel and enjoy the few places i can camp and explore and if i have to pay more in order to please those making the rules, then i see little option.

Last edited:

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
How can a park, or a river, or a mountain, etc., be racist? People, institutions, governments, symbols, etc. can be racist. Only education will free us from this madness. Personally I think it is mostly a ploy by foreign entities to disrupt our democratic system. Also blame Al G. and the interwebs for all the fake news that people are so easy to believe. JK, maybe.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
i'm definitely not seeing how anything dealing with national parks is racist, but arguing that point will only make it worse. i wonder if a solution would be to charge more for entrance fees and camping fees, etc and then make it free to all non-whites? i'd rather pay more and let others in for free than to lose it all together. there are already many programs for free housing, free food, free medical, free phones, etc...just add free park admission and maybe have some special cabins set aside that are furnished and can only be used by people that are already in gov't housing. the money is already going to get spent someway...i would rather see some kind of solution rather than everything just get taken away for good
That's racist. Free for everyone but whites. That's hardcore racist.

It's my park. Go ahead and close it down. We'll still be able to get in. Try and stop us.

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

MONUMENT RANCH PERRIS CA 92570
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I can appreciate that. I grew up very rural, but have spent my career working with people who grew up in large cities. The idea of getting out in the woods is so foreign to them, and downright scary to some.
But it is every ones choice to go outdoors or not. Crazy thinking going on!