Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
If you’re with a group, many will already have straps and such. Take a look at your recovery points. On my Tahoe they’re recessed into the front fascia far enough that D rings won’t work. I have a suitable soft shackle for the front. I use a hitch insert with a D ring in the rear.

Attachments

Last edited:

Busaman2013

Rank IV

Advocate II

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Aviles
Member #

If you’re with a group, many will already have straps and such. Take a look at your recovery points. On my Tahoe they’re recessed into the front fascia far enough that D rings won’t work. I have a suitable soft shackle for the front. I use a hitch insert with a D ring in the rear.
Oh nice! I’ll keep that in mind, I don’t think I have any recovery points but I’ll check. Or maybe I do and don’t know, lol. I hope to go with a group someday!

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Oh nice! I’ll keep that in mind, I don’t think I have any recovery points but I’ll check. Or maybe I do and don’t know, lol. I hope to go with a group someday!
You probably have a pair of them tucked under the front bumper.

something like this works in the rear.

KILO19

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Houglin
Thank you! Well, somewhere in Texas to start, I was thinking Texas Hill Country or Houston’s National Forest. I need my wife to try it, she’s not convinced lol, also my goal is to do this by autumn so it’s not as hot. No pictures yet unfortunately.
Texas...join the club. Welcome fellow texan.

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Welcome to the OB community! There's a guy who "overlands" in a Porsche 996 with a Roof Top Tent mounted above and actually quite a few others who do it in cars as well. Good tires and good wits are all you ever need to have some fun and see some cool places in your truck.

Reactions: rho

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Jimmy driving a Jimmy.... well almost. Welcome, I've been a 4x4 guy for years but I started in 2WD. It is all about judgement but 4WD only guarantees you will get better stuck.

First thing is get out there and enjoy the adventure with the other half. Don't spend a dollar until she agrees, "we should have..... "

Reactions: rho

Maedge

Rank III

Member III

Washington, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Etheredge
Member #

Hello, I have a Silverado 2wd, haven’t not gone overlanding yet. I’m in the process of building it up. Btw, I just signed, I’m a new member and my name is Jimmy. Nice to meet you all.
Hey, I’m late to seeing this it welcome! I, too, have a 2WD Chevy that I’m slowly outfitting to get the family into overlanding! Looking forward to seeing what you do!

Busaman2013

Rank IV

Advocate II

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Aviles
Member #

Hey, I’m late to seeing this it welcome! I, too, have a 2WD Chevy that I’m slowly outfitting to get the family into overlanding! Looking forward to seeing what you do!
Hi!! That’s awesome, I’ve done a lot of upgrades and still have planned for more. I’ve gone overlanding once, this weekend will be my second with the Dallas group. So far it’s been very capable, love it! Maybe we can learn from each othe!

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Hi!! That’s awesome, I’ve done a lot of upgrades and still have planned for more. I’ve gone overlanding once, this weekend will be my second with the Dallas group. So far it’s been very capable, love it! Maybe we can learn from each othe!
Are you doing the hill country tour? You should have a good time.

Reactions: Busaman2013

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Do you ever go out with a group? Maybe San Antonio? I’m from San Antonio but joined the Dallas group. I don’t think San Antonio has a group. Either that or they just done too much.
There is a core group of folks in the Austin area.