Rank IV

Advocate II

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Aviles
Member #

welcome Jimmy, where do you want overland, any pictures, what are your goals?
Thank you! Well, somewhere in Texas to start, I was thinking Texas Hill Country or Houston’s National Forest. I need my wife to try it, she’s not convinced lol, also my goal is to do this by autumn so it’s not as hot. No pictures yet unfortunately.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Busaman2013

Rank IV

Advocate II

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Aviles
Member #

Welcome aboard. Get ready for folks telling you all you can’t do with 2wd. Then do want you want anyway. Btw, I overland in an old cop car.
Thank you! I’ll just try and not do anything crazy lol.
Welcome aboard. Get ready for folks telling you all you can’t do with 2wd. Then do want you want anyway. Btw, I overland in an old cop car.
Thank you! Wow! That’s impressive, I guess where there’s a will there’s a way, that awesome! Very encouraging. I’ll just try and not do anything stupid. Lol

robinsangle

Rank I

Member I

Texas, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Arroues
Member #

Hello, I have a Silverado 2wd, haven’t not gone overlanding yet. I’m in the process of building it up. Btw, I just signed, I’m a new member and my name is Jimmy. Nice to meet you all.
Glad to here we are in the same situation. Ford f150 2x4. Still waiting on bed rack and rooftop tent. Wife is on board look forward to hearing about your first trip. Good luck.

Busaman2013

Rank IV

Advocate II

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Aviles
Member #

Glad to here we are in the same situation. Ford f150 2x4. Still waiting on bed rack and rooftop tent. Wife is on board look forward to hearing about your first trip. Good luck.
Wow! I’m not the only one, lol. That’s awesome, I think at this point my wife is more willing than before to go. But I will keep you posted when we do go.
Have a great day!

Reactions: robinsangle

robinsangle

Rank I

Member I

Texas, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Arroues
Member #

My wife is into photography so she has purpose for getting outside and exploring. But providing a level of comfort for her to improve her experience is always on my mind. The more comfortable she is, the more she will be willing to go again.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
My wife is into photography so she has purpose for getting outside and exploring. But providing a level of comfort for her to improve her experience is always on my mind. The more comfortable she is, the more she will be willing to go again.
Most of these were taken poking around the Hill Country this spring. The century plants were in New Mexico on Memorial Day.
D185B3EC-34F6-46EB-8534-6B98AFCB54EF.jpeg14C6C54D-DB68-4B45-8596-85861EA7D9B5.jpeg0A7C04AC-6FA5-4AF4-ABD8-14F37946B77E.jpeg0F3BA973-1FA6-4BBF-8A69-E7E62D1C5754.jpeg29333E58-58F1-405A-93FB-495D26CB25C9.jpeg356A0A97-52CE-48A6-9DFA-6A5F0B5E3181.jpeg

robinsangle

Rank I

Member I

Texas, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Arroues
Member #

Very nice. I can't wait to get out there. Hope to be ready by fall when it starts cooling off a little. Looking at a few short trips to test equipment and set up first. Probably state parks. Palmetto state park looks nice for a quick test run.

Busaman2013

Rank IV

Advocate II

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Aviles
Member #

Most of these were taken poking around the Hill Country this spring. The century plants were in New Mexico on Memorial Day.
View attachment 161308View attachment 161309View attachment 161310View attachment 161311View attachment 161312View attachment 161313
Wow! I showed my wife the pics, she loved them, I thought they were very good too. I think the more I talk about it, the more she’s starting to accept it. I’m going to go ahead and google for that park, seems like it can work. Thanks for sharing, I’m hoping to do the same thing in the fall, maybe we’ll run I to each other lol. Thanks again!

Busaman2013

Rank IV

Advocate II

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Aviles
Member #

Very nice. I can't wait to get out there. Hope to be ready by fall when it starts cooling off a little. Looking at a few short trips to test equipment and set up first. Probably state parks. Palmetto state park looks nice for a quick test run.
[/QUOTE
Cool, thanks for sharing! That’s exactly what I was thinking, waiting for fall so it can be cooler. Going to check that park out, I’ve heard of it but I don’t have much info on it. Seems like a good place to test it out. I’ll keep that one in mind. Thanks for sharing, super excited and can’t wait to get started.

Sean's #1 Pop

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Phelan, CA, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
P
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6UEP
I've got a 2005 GMC Sierra crew cab 2WD that is my "go to" for most trips. If you don't try to "rock-land" it you can get to most of the interesting places, some times you'll just have to bump it. Good tires, a rear locker and some extraction gear will get by in most circumstances and for unexpected mud just carry tire chains (and know how to put them on).

Reactions: Dirt Road Cowboy

robinsangle

Rank I

Member I

Texas, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Arroues
Member #

[/QUOTE
Cool, thanks for sharing! That’s exactly what I was thinking, waiting for fall so it can be cooler. Going to check that park out, I’ve heard of it but I don’t have much info on it. Seems like a good place to test it out. I’ll keep that one in mind. Thanks for sharing, super excited and can’t wait to get started.
Trying to plan a day trip to check the place out. Will give you an update on what we find. Have to make reservations in advance due to covid.

Reactions: Busaman2013

robinsangle

Rank I

Member I

Texas, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Arroues
Member #

I've got a 2005 GMC Sierra crew cab 2WD that is my "go to" for most trips. If you don't try to "rock-land" it you can get to most of the interesting places, some times you'll just have to bump it. Good tires, a rear locker and some extraction gear will get by in most circumstances and for unexpected mud just carry tire chains (and know how to put them on).
Good advice

Reactions: Busaman2013