Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Shealy
Member #

It is amazing how big 33 inch tires look on a 2nd Gen, yet my 4th Gen has 33s stock and they appear smaller than the stock 31s do my 2nd Gen.

Looks like a great setup and a great plan going forward.
My second Gen came stock with '35s apparently. That is what my wheel called for.

Reactions: M Rose

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Depends on how you upgrade. I put only 2000 into it (bumper and winch) I had my brother build me the bumper, and I got the winch from a wrecked military hummer. My lift was achieved with building a spring pack from another 2nd gen ram, new spring shackles in the rear and relocating the front spring mounts lower on the frame.
The topper I found on Facebook Market Place for free, just had to drive 2 hours to get it.
My bed build up includes 25 gallons of fresh water, inverter, water pump, and led lights all scourged from a camp trailer I got for free from Craig’s List. The wood for the bed came from shipping pallets.
I have more money wrapped up in my Bronco just to get it running, than I do in my Ram upgrades.
Love the setup for camping. Similar to what I had planned, but now I have a good picture in my head seeing yours.

I have an old pop up I am making into a kayak and bike carrier and plan to use the insides to make a similar setup in my 2nd Gen or 3rd Gen

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I didn’t know they put a cumin in the sports package... cool truck fo Shure
There is nothing special about the sport package except the bumper, decal, and interior, and it being body color vs chrome...although I can not say 100% as I can not find info to be sure...there is no reason there wouldn't be a Cummins with Sport package.

Before 99 the only thing was the decal and the body color, so there is definitely 94 to 98 with sport package as it is just color.

Reactions: Z_Shealy

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
What i
Love the setup for camping. Similar to what I had planned, but now I have a good picture in my head seeing yours.

I have an old pop up I am making into a kayak and bike carrier and plan to use the insides to make a similar setup in my 2nd Gen or 3rd Gen
really love about my build in the back is it’s all modular, takes about 10 minutes to install all of it, and only 5 minutes to take it all out. Our you can mix and match components. The sleeping platform can be raised and lowered or removed completely, the side storage compartments can come out our stay in. And the water tank in the rear can come out.
I am not the overall designer of my setup. I got it off of Desk-to-Dirtbag a blog about getting out and exploring. How to Build the Ultimate Truck Bed Camper Setup – Step by Step Directions

Z_Shealy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Shealy
Member #

What i

really love about my build in the back is it’s all modular, takes about 10 minutes to install all of it, and only 5 minutes to take it all out. Our you can mix and match components. The sleeping platform can be raised and lowered or removed completely, the side storage compartments can come out our stay in. And the water tank in the rear can come out.
I am not the overall designer of my setup. I got it off of Desk-to-Dirtbag a blog about getting out and exploring. How to Build the Ultimate Truck Bed Camper Setup – Step by Step Directions
Appreciate the link - already saved it!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My second Gen came stock with '35s apparently. That is what my wheel called for.
I am not sure if it was a year split in 98, or what. But my 95 had factory 35’s while my 2000 came with 33’s and I couldn’t get my 35’s to clear the radius arms with stock wheels.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Ok, factory 35s. Interesting. 275/70 r18 is the largest size on 4th gen, which is 32.? And the Powerwagon has the largest factory tire on a RAM at 33 inch.

My Sport package came stock with 245/75r16 which are 30.47 and was the largest on 2500. The 1500 did come stock with a 265/75 which is 31.65.

So the largest 2500 would be 31 and largest 1500 would be 32.

So I would be very interested to see your tire placard saying it came stock with 35.

I ask because that would be awesome, as right now the new TRX may have the largest tire ever at 35 inch, but if RAM already did it maybe they will go 37

Z_Shealy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Shealy
Member #

I am not sure if it was a year split in 98, or what. But my 95 had factory 35’s while my 2000 came with 33’s and I couldn’t get my 35’s to clear the radius arms with stock wheels.
It's interesting because it's stock 35's but they rub on the control arms... It does have up to a 4in. lift though, so I imagine it's just from the front axle moving back. Either way, when I get a decent suspension I will have the front axle adjusted to be centered.

Reactions: DevilDodge

Z_Shealy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Shealy
Member #

Ok, factory 35s. Interesting. 275/70 r18 is the largest size on 4th gen, which is 32.? And the Powerwagon has the largest factory tire on a RAM at 33 inch.

My Sport package came stock with 245/75r16 which are 30.47 and was the largest on 2500. The 1500 did come stock with a 265/75 which is 31.65.

So I would be very interested to see your tire placard saying it came stock with 35.

I ask because that would be awesome, as right now the new TRX may have the largest tire ever at 35 inch, but if RAM already did it maybe they will go 37
I will check it out when I'm off work and let you know.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
What i

Thanks for the link.

I got a lot to get done before that point. But now I can add that to the favorites and don't have to think much about it.

My truck will stay mainly stock. Might go to a 33 inch tire, but I am not lifting it.

I have the anti spin rear, which is fine, but I may eventually decide on a rear locker and possibly front.

I already locked the CAD, got tired of never knowing if the fork was gonna slide over. And the vacuum actuator is a pin hole away from not working.

Reactions: M Rose and Z_Shealy

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks for the link.

I got a lot to get done before that point. But now I can add that to the favorites and don't have to think much about it.

My truck will stay mainly stock. Might go to a 33 inch tire, but I am not lifting it.

I have the anti spin rear, which is fine, but I may eventually decide on a rear locker and possibly front.

I already locked the CAD, got tired of never knowing if the fork was gonna slide over. And the vacuum actuator is a pin hole away from not working.
I used a pto cable punched through the floor next to the 4wd shifter to actuate the CAD... works like a charm... look up “Home Brew Posi-Lock“

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Yeah. I had the posi loc, but if you forget to set it before you go in the rough, you still have to keep moving to get it to apply.

So if you get stuck by not paying attention you can not get it to lock. I always engage 4wd before I need it due to the vacuum actuator and the posi loc and decided after having our 3rd gen there really isn't any reason for it.

So I did the permanent lock and have never had an issue.

Just one less thing to think about.

They brought it back for the 4th Gen...but now it is electric.

I showed my son the other day how if you stop and put it in 4wd, like say not being able to climb a hill, that you have to coast back a bit to engage.

He is 6, by the time he is 16 I hope to never have to pull him out of anywhere lol.

20191215_131024.jpg
A pic of me showing him how anti spin works (see the 2 tire spin marks) and then how when I put it 4wd the front axle wasn't locked because the actuator couldn't slide.

So I coasted back 2 feet and up the hill we went.

TomInOregon

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Oregon
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Moss
Service Branch
USMC
Yeah, even the 3rd gens have bigger wheel wells. I got the 33" Toyos and wheels used from a 4th gen, so there was some wear on the tires already. Even with that, they rub just a bit at full lock. I'm hoping with a 3" Carli suspension that 35s should allow enough room for them to fit and get stuffed in the wheel wells a bit without rubbing when negotiating off-kilter stuff.

soarvet

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buford, GA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Service Branch
US Army

What he said... I have the 1st 2nd gen (’94) 2500 5speed manual with a Cummins and it came with 265/75R/16’s. In 94 all they offered was a single cab. I kinda wish it was an extended cab. My dad bought it when I graduated high school. I guess a present to himself for getting me out the house since I decided to join the military instead of go to college at the time. I always loved that truck. He finally gave it to me, lightly used with 196k miles. I had togo back to to Colorado to pick it up and drive it home. It’s got about 202k miles on it now. I love driving it.
I’m trying to decide what I’m going to do with it. I’ve bought a bunch of parts for it to bump it up to about 400hp and roughly 850l lb. ft. Torque, but have t installed any of it yet because I got a great deal on a 2002 Land Rover Discovery that has completely sucked me in. I’ll eventually get around to fixing her up though Enjoy the journey and welcome aboard.

Z_Shealy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Shealy
Member #

Yeah, even the 3rd gens have bigger wheel wells. I got the 33" Toyos and wheels used from a 4th gen, so there was some wear on the tires already. Even with that, they rub just a bit at full lock. I'm hoping with a 3" Carli suspension that 35s should allow enough room for them to fit and get stuffed in the wheel wells a bit without rubbing when negotiating off-kilter stuff.
My friend has carli with no rub on 35s but he also got the extended control arms I believe. Rides really nice though! 2nd Gen Suspension Steering 94-01
I’m looking at this company as well... they have a great 4 link rear setup that I want to get.

Z_Shealy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Shealy
Member #

My friend has carli with no rub on 35s but he also got the extended control arms I believe. Rides really nice though! 2nd Gen Suspension Steering 94-01
I’m looking at this company as well... they have a great 4 link rear setup that I want to get.
Sorry to send a 2nd gen link

Z_Shealy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Shealy
Member #

What he said... I have the 1st 2nd gen (’94) 2500 5speed manual with a Cummins and it came with 265/75R/16’s. In 94 all they offered was a single cab. I kinda wish it was an extended cab. My dad bought it when I graduated high school. I guess a present to himself for getting me out the house since I decided to join the military instead of go to college at the time. I always loved that truck. He finally gave it to me, lightly used with 196k miles. I had togo back to to Colorado to pick it up and drive it home. It’s got about 202k miles on it now. I love driving it.
I’m trying to decide what I’m going to do with it. I’ve bought a bunch of parts for it to bump it up to about 400hp and roughly 850l lb. ft. Torque, but have t installed any of it yet because I got a great deal on a 2002 Land Rover Discovery that has completely sucked me in. I’ll eventually get around to fixing her up though Enjoy the journey and welcome aboard.
Have an automatic so until it dies and I swap for a 6 speed the tuner is about as far as I am
Going to push it with the weak transmission. They are great trucks though and nice that you know what it’s been through.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
There is nothing special about the sport package except the bumper, decal, and interior, and it being body color vs chrome...although I can not say 100% as I can not find info to be sure...there is no reason there wouldn't be a Cummins with Sport package.

Before 99 the only thing was the decal and the body color, so there is definitely 94 to 98 with sport package as it is just color.
One important difference with the Sport package is the headlights. They are superior to the non-Sport headlights. If you try to convert to them I believe you will also find the radiator support is different.

I do believe I have seen Cummins/Sport trucks.

TomInOregon

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Oregon
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Moss
Service Branch
USMC
One important difference with the Sport package is the headlights. They are superior to the non-Sport headlights. If you try to convert to them I believe you will also find the radiator support is different.

I do believe I have seen Cummins/Sport trucks.
Mine is a Cummins and when I upgraded the headlights, I put Sport headlights in and put in an adapter to get power directly from the battery. They are so much better than the fogged over non-sport headlights that were on there before. The sport headlight upgrade is a fairly popular one, since it allows you to adjust the headlights. Most of the aftermarket headlight housings don't allow up/down and left/right adjustment. The information I read on the sport headlight swap said that after 1998, all Rams had the holes for the sport headlights to be a drop-in modification. Mine, however had non-OEM aftermarket fenders, so the holes had to be enlarged a bit to make it work.

Last edited: