Enthusiast III

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Shealy
Member #

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and look forward to going out on an adventure one day! I currently have a 2nd gen ram 2500 and was curious if anyone had the same rig and how they chose to outfit it? Appreciate your time and hope everyone has a good New Years!

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Ive seen plenty of full size rig owners here so Im sure you can get some good info.
I remember seeing a thread recently specifically regarding full size rigs. Might do a search for it.

Reactions: Z_Shealy

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Welcome @Z_Shealy, I have (about to sell) my 2000 Ram 2500. By far the best rig overall I have ever owned, and I owned a few lol. Any way here is what I did to mine

Attachments

Z_Shealy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Shealy
Member #

Ive seen plenty of full size rig owners here so Im sure you can get some good info.
I remember seeing a thread recently specifically regarding full size rigs. Might do a search for it.
Appreciate it! Saw someone with a 3rd/4th gen I think and will definitely look into the current ones, just waiting to be sitting at a computer to search through the previous threads more efficiently.

Z_Shealy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Shealy
Member #

Welcome @Z_Shealy, I have (about to sell) my 2000 Ram 2500. By far the best rig overall I have ever owned, and I owned a few lol. Any way here is what I did to mine
Thank you for sending me images! That bumper is heavy duty for sure! Love the 2nd gen, it’s a great truck! Just a little expensive to upgrade haha

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thank you for sending me images! That bumper is heavy duty for sure! Love the 2nd gen, it’s a great truck! Just a little expensive to upgrade haha
Depends on how you upgrade. I put only 2000 into it (bumper and winch) I had my brother build me the bumper, and I got the winch from a wrecked military hummer. My lift was achieved with building a spring pack from another 2nd gen ram, new spring shackles in the rear and relocating the front spring mounts lower on the frame.
The topper I found on Facebook Market Place for free, just had to drive 2 hours to get it.
My bed build up includes 25 gallons of fresh water, inverter, water pump, and led lights all scourged from a camp trailer I got for free from Craig’s List. The wood for the bed came from shipping pallets.
I have more money wrapped up in my Bronco just to get it running, than I do in my Ram upgrades.

Z_Shealy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Shealy
Member #

Depends on how you upgrade. I put only 2000 into it (bumper and winch) I had my brother build me the bumper, and I got the winch from a wrecked military hummer. My lift was achieved with building a spring pack from another 2nd gen ram, new spring shackles in the rear and relocating the front spring mounts lower on the frame.
The topper I found on Facebook Market Place for free, just had to drive 2 hours to get it.
My bed build up includes 25 gallons of fresh water, inverter, water pump, and led lights all scourged from a camp trailer I got for free from Craig’s List. The wood for the bed came from shipping pallets.
I have more money wrapped up in my Bronco just to get it running, than I do in my Ram upgrades.
Crafty and clever, I like it. The truck came with a four inch lift on it but it’s not very functional (not much travel). Clearance is good but flex... could be better in the front - sure the rear would do alright once I replace the shocks. Love where you got your stuff and how you did it though, really appreciate that idea! Hope you have a happy new year tonight with family and friends

TomInOregon

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Oregon
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Moss
Service Branch
USMC
I have a 1999 Dodge 2500 Quad cab 4X4 with Cummins/auto. I haven't yet done much to mine, but I have plans. Honestly, it has handled everything I have thrown at it without issues. The modifications I make will be to add utility or as additional insurance against getting stuck. So far, all I have done to it is put 33" Toyo M/Ts on it and upgrade the stereo so I have a dual din stereo to make the GPS screen larger. Plans are to add a front bumper and winch, front and rear lockers, on-board air, Carli suspension and move the differential breathers up higher. Once the suspension is done, I will most likely go with 35" tires. I tow a trailer with mine, so no need for sleeping space or roof top tent for me. I keep the bed available for extra water and firewood.campsetup1CedarCreek21.jpg

Z_Shealy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Shealy
Member #

I have a 1999 Dodge 2500 Quad cab 4X4 with Cummins/auto. I haven't yet done much to mine, but I have plans. Honestly, it has handled everything I have thrown at it without issues. The modifications I make will be to add utility or as additional insurance against getting stuck. So far, all I have done to it is put 33" Toyo M/Ts on it and upgrade the stereo so I have a dual din stereo to make the GPS screen larger. Plans are to add a front bumper and winch, front and rear lockers, on-board air, Carli suspension and move the differential breathers up higher. Once the suspension is done, I will most likely go with 35" tires. I tow a trailer with mine, so no need for sleeping space or roof top tent for me. I keep the bed available for extra water and firewood.View attachment 133187
Sounds like a plan. Love carli suspension. Friend has a 3rd gen with carli and it rides great! Lockers, bumper and a wench would be a good start for me - already running 35s on mine. One day I want to get a trailer when I have a kid or two, but definitely want to get more utility out of my bed when I start going out. Going to meet up to with my
Friend today to rebuild my power boost. Appreciate your plans so I can bring up the diff. Breathers higher! Hope you had a good new year!

Reactions: TomInOregon

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
My 2nd Gen is a 1999 2500 with 8.0l V10 Magnum and 5 speed manual. 4x4 of course. My favorite truck ever. It is being slated for a lot of body work and some upgrades. Pennsylvania cancer has taken its toll.
20140710_153440.jpg20160831_122241.jpg

Z_Shealy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Shealy
Member #

My 2nd Gen is a 1999 2500 with 8.0l V10 Magnum and 5 speed manual. 4x4 of course. My favorite truck ever. It is being slated for a lot of body work and some upgrades. Pennsylvania cancer has taken its toll.
View attachment 135008View attachment 135009
Can only imagine with the type of weather you get back East. Nice looking truck though! I want to drop a 6 speed into mine but that'll happen later in life I suppose. Love my truck also, just expensive to work on. Some days that 1st gen 4runner just sounds good, but I'm always back and forth.

Reactions: DevilDodge

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign