Texas, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
Weeden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WSCS201
Full disclosure, this is my first real post I think other than the New Member introductions. Did a search but I wasn’t very successful.

I have a 24’ Tacoma TRDOR which is currently stock.

I’ve got other ideas for it including Decked and maybe a cap or Bestop.

Where I’m at now is tires. The forums online can cause a migraine after some time.

Truck is and will remain a daily driver, though I will also be driving some trails, up to the lower intermediate grades.
My Dilema:

275/70/17 or 255/80/17 AT’s?

Currently im looking at the following:

Cooper Stronghold 275/70

Yokohama Geolandar AT4
275/70 and 255/80

Toyo OC AT3
275/70 and 255/80

Between both sizes for all of these tires the average weight is about 53lbs +/- 1-1.5lbs.

The 275/70 (32.2”) keeps my Speedo closer to stock, I think that’s a plus…?

The 255/80 (33.1) gives a small bit of ground clearance over stock and the 275/70.

Looking for help determining if the 275/70 is a better option for the daily driver, or if the 255/80 will offer enough benefits with few drawbacks for intended use to make it worth it?

Keeping stock wheels (17x7.5/+55 offset).

Appreciate any responses and guidance for a guy just getting started.

thank you,

Will,

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
WRT to the tyres, we have used the Geolandars and now prefer the Toyos (and have experience with Dunlops, Michelins, BFGs, Pirellis, and Bridgestones.

In terms of the size, the clearance benefit is only half an inch so I'd pick based on whether you plan to air down/up much (or more accurately, how much you plan to drive in soft sand). The 70s would be my preference for this.