2024 Honda Passport Trailsport Off-road and Overland Build

• HTML tutorial

b0wfin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

This is my second Honda-based off-road build featured on the Overland Bound forum. The first was our 2007 Honda Pilot (link here), which has garnered over 111k views to date.

After our Pilot recently surpassed 300K miles, we began searching for another family hauler to complement our fleet. While the Pilot is still running, it's starting to show signs of wear with rough driving and shifting.

I plan to continue repairing and maintaining it alongside this new build.

We are an adventurous family of five who loves to travel, often covering thousands of miles on pavement.

Given that, we're looking for a vehicle that strikes the right balance between comfort, safety, efficiency, storage, and off-road capability.

From my experience, Honda’s i-VTM4 vehicles excel in this balance, especially considering their ample passenger space and storage capacity.

I was initially drawn to the new Honda Pilot Trailsport but was disappointed by the lack of a middle bench option. Upgrading to the Elite trim for the additional trail modes was beyond what we wanted to spend. I also noticed that the wheelbase and clearance angles on the new Pilot were a step back compared to our 2007 Pilot.

That’s when I discovered the 2024 Honda Passport Trailsport, whose dimensions were much closer to our 2007 Pilot. While the Trailsport trim is mostly cosmetic, it does come with all-terrain tires, 20% softer suspension, 18" wheels, and roof rails.

After test driving it, we were thoroughly impressed. The suspension felt great both on and off-road, and it was significantly faster than our old Pilot. Although the platform is similar to the 2019 Passport, which some see as a downside, I believe manufacturers improve with small annual revisions. I’m familiar with the reliable V6 J35 engine, and the platform has already been tested both on road and off-road.

We chose an Sonic Gray Pearl 2024 Honda Passport as our next family hauler, and I’m excited to apply what I’ve learned from our Pilot to create an even better build.

Follow this thread to stay updated on my progress!

Last edited:
Reactions: Yota_Jeff

Yota_Jeff

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Selma, Johnston County, North Carolina, United States
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Littleton
Member #

This is my second Honda-based off-road build featured on the Overland Bound forum. The first was our 2007 Honda Pilot (link here), which has garnered over 111k views to date.

After our Pilot recently surpassed 300K miles, we began searching for another family hauler to complement our fleet. While the Pilot is still running, it's starting to show signs of wear with rough driving and shifting.

I plan to continue repairing and maintaining it alongside this new build.

We are an adventurous family of five who loves to travel, often covering thousands of miles on pavement.

Given that, we're looking for a vehicle that strikes the right balance between comfort, safety, efficiency, storage, and off-road capability.

From my experience, Honda’s i-VTM4 vehicles excel in this balance, especially considering their ample passenger space and storage capacity.

I was initially drawn to the new Honda Pilot Trailsport but was disappointed by the lack of a middle bench option. Upgrading to the Elite trim for the additional trail modes was beyond what we wanted to spend. I also noticed that the wheelbase and clearance angles on the new Pilot were a step back compared to our 2007 Pilot.

That’s when I discovered the 2024 Honda Passport Trailsport, whose dimensions were much closer to our 2007 Pilot. While the Trailsport trim is mostly cosmetic, it does come with all-terrain tires, 20% softer suspension, and roof rails.

After test driving it, we were thoroughly impressed. The suspension felt great both on and off-road, and it was significantly faster than our old Pilot. Although the platform is similar to the 2019 Passport, which some see as a downside, I believe manufacturers improve with small annual revisions. I’m familiar with the reliable V6 J35 engine, and the platform has already been tested both on road and off-road.

We chose an Obsidian Grey Pearl 2024 Honda Passport as our next family hauler, and I’m excited to apply what I’ve learned from our Pilot to create an even better build.

Follow this thread to stay updated on my progress!

Following! Love the color choice. My wife has been a long time devotee to the Pilot. We currently have a 2021 touring. Was curious to see how capable this platform could be.