2018 Toyota Highlander XLE - Backcountry Discovery Route Build.

• HTML tutorial

afootorafloatLJ

Rank VIII
Launch Member
Supporter

Trail Blazer I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
Calhoun
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7FKK
So I was considering building or buying a RAV4 Hybrid to use for some of my geology field work in the interest of fuel consumption savings. The regular Calhoun Geologic Enterprises, PLLC field vehicle is a 2006 Rubicon LJ (11-15 mpg).
In the interest of some financial prudence I happened to take a good look in the driveway and the wife’s paid off 2018 Highlander drew my attention so I figured I would do some slight modifications to that instead.
So please follow along the journey with me as I build and run this rig on the Idaho BackCountry Discovery Route in June and probably the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route in July and dropping into the Pacific Northwest Overland Expo in July.

Attachments

Last edited:

afootorafloatLJ

Rank VIII
Launch Member
Supporter

Trail Blazer I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
Calhoun
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7FKK
Aggie OE not really trying to increase mileage in either vehicle. Just modifying the Highlander so it is more useful geologically speaking.

afootorafloatLJ

Rank VIII
Launch Member
Supporter

Trail Blazer I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
Calhoun
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7FKK
So we have made some progress over the last few weeks.
Had a Ready Lift 2 inch lift kit installed last week. Had the alignment done the next day at Commercial tire here in Boise.
Took most of the Yakima Rack parts off of my LJ and put those on the highlander (canoe mounts, cross bars, awning) plus I added a Yakima skinny basket.
I changed out all the light bulbs in the driving lights, high beam lights and fog lights to Napa Xenon...High beams need to be adjusted down.
I went with a Moose knuckle rear tow clevis and insert for the rear 2" inch hitch.
I ordered the OEM pull hooks for the front. I'm in the process of rattle can painting those red.

What next?
Some blacking out of the badges,
Moving the Ham radio from my truck or jeep to the highlander.
Installing an inverter.

No-Lo designs skid plates, front, rear diff, catalytic converter. they also make the hood mounts for ditch lights.

I am hoping to custom fab a light bar on the grill that attaches behind the OEM tow points.
Then maybe some Baja Designs or KC ditch lights and wide beams.

Down the road when these 255/55/r18s (29 inches tall) are worn out which will likely be this spring I'll be going to 265/60R18 (30.5 inches tall) or 265/65r18 (31.5 inches tall) KO2's or KO3's.
At this point I will likely need to get a swing away spare tire rack. Looking at Wilco or Ridgid armor swing away tire rack.

Next winter I may purchase a set of studded all terrains as I have the original tires and wheels that I run in the summer.

I post some outdoor job site or snow pics soon.

IMG_3391.jpeg

Attachments

Reactions: Dougnuts