2017 WK2 1941 Edition

• HTML tutorial

Sev

Rank 0

Traveler I

This thread exists to help me document and share my modifications to my 2017 WK2 1941 Edition. Do not expect a speedy transition from stock to overland beast as I am limited in my time and resources. Feel free to pm me with any questions.

2017 WK2 1941 Edition, 5.7L, Granite

I had her stock for a year prior to pursuing a lift kit, wheels, tires, and aftermarket skid plates. Stay tuned.

Reactions: chithead

Sev

Rank 0

Traveler I

First wave of upgrades are as follows.

1. Dobinson ~2.5 inch lift kit

https://www.dobinsonsprings.com/4x4-suspension/jeep/jeep-62/jeep-62-catalogue-page?task=document.viewdoc&id=217

2. I sourced a set of 4 older 2015 WK2 18" wheels and had them powder coated. Paid a total $100 for them and another $240 to have them all powder coated.

3. Threw on a set of 33" KO2's.

4. Two skid plate setups from Chief Products.
Front lower guard plates
http://usa.chiefproducts.com.au/products/wk2-lower-front-guard

Sump protection plate with an access panel for oil changes on the Hemi.
http://usa.chiefproducts.com.au/products/wk2-sump-protection-plate

I'll be posting update pictures of the actual vic (with better lighting) within the week. The Jeeps in the shop after I had a little too much fun in the desert during a shooting trip.

Last edited:

Sev

Rank 0

Traveler I

She performed flawlessly, great approach angle after I ditched the lower fascia and installed the Chief Plates. May have overdone it a bit on the last jump considering the fuel door flew off. Camera work was done by my buddy Ed and his potato riding in a 2018 Tacoma TRD Pro in Cement. Beautiful truck.

Oh well.

Reactions: jasonjlamb and AT71

Sev

Rank 0

Traveler I

Agreed, they have this industrial raw look when mounted and are seemingly as thick as uparmored humvee plating. So far all of my mods minus the wheels/tires are from Australia. Few American companies are supporting the newer WK2's

Rubyredfozzy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

Agreed, they have this industrial raw look when mounted and are seemingly as thick as uparmored humvee plating. So far all of my mods minus the wheels/tires are from Australia. Few American companies are supporting the newer WK2's
I have a similar issue with my Subaru. There just are not many companies making products for it. Kind of makes it that mush better when you mod it though because you know nobody else is gonna do it.

Reactions: Sev

AT71

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Philadelphia, PA, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
FOOBICON
nice ride, I have a '17 1941 75th Edition . I have the V6 with QuadraTrac II. Chief products are great, I have the sump plate, the front fascia guard is next. How do you like the Dobinsons? I have a quote, just haven't pulled the trigger yet...

Sev

Rank 0

Traveler I

The dobinsons lift is great but it makes a few popping noises when the springs release tension. The lift shop told me they were the toughest springs they have ever compressed... ever. So let them know. They perform fine if you ignore the popping. You'll want the 1.75" spacers as well. If you're running a 33" tire on 18's the lift kit + spacers will cause your Jeep to rub on the inner front fender. I took some tin snips to the area and gave the wheel some more clearance.

You'll need:
Tin snips
Hand file
multiple grits of sandpaper
A marker

This will save you a lot of money vs taking it into a shop and it's super fun and easy to do. My wife cut one while I cut the other. I'll give you pics soon. (hopefully)

Your Jeep will look one of a kind and perform admirably. I squash my buddies TRDPro regularly. Not to mention it looks great.

Reactions: AT71

Sev

Rank 0

Traveler I

1. Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform installed. Took some modifications to make it fit. (Rhino Rack has some terrible customer service)

2. Also mounted are three orange Pelican 1560's on a makeshift quick release mounting system I fabricated by modifying three trolling motor QD mounts.

3. Two Wavian jerry cans are also mounted.

4. etrailer hitch mounted. The dealership wanted $750 to install the OEM mount and flash the software. That's not happening.

IMG_1278.jpg IMG_1281.jpg IMG_1267.jpg

WeylandUtani

Rank I

Contributor III

Calabasas, CA, USA
First Name
Dario
Last Name
Traverso
3. Threw on a set of 33" KO2's.
Your Jeep looks GREAT! What are the sizing specs on the 33" KO2s?
I have the same tire in 32" right now (275/55/20) but I am determined to upgrade to 33s and find a way to get them installed on my Quadra-Lift equipped WK2. I know I'll need the Spidertraxx 1.75" spacers and a bit of fender felt trimming, but I am still trying to determine if forcing the vehicle in OR-1 ride height will be enough. OR-2 height has no suspension travel and would ride like crap if I had to keep it that high all the time to fit the tires.

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Huelsman
Your Jeep looks GREAT! What are the sizing specs on the 33" KO2s?
I have the same tire in 32" right now (275/55/20) but I am determined to upgrade to 33s and find a way to get them installed on my Quadra-Lift equipped WK2. I know I'll need the Spidertraxx 1.75" spacers and a bit of fender felt trimming, but I am still trying to determine if forcing the vehicle in OR-1 ride height will be enough. OR-2 height has no suspension travel and would ride like crap if I had to keep it that high all the time to fit the tires.
My wife’s 2018 WK2 Trailhawk has KO2 275/55/20 w/ Black Rhino Mozambique wheels and it was my understanding thats the largest tire that could fit without modifications. Im adding new links in the front as I get tired of hearing her rub the fender liners at full lock pulling out of our driveway or when traveling on the highway and hitting a dip.

WeylandUtani

Rank I

Contributor III

Calabasas, CA, USA
First Name
Dario
Last Name
Traverso
My wife’s 2018 WK2 Trailhawk has KO2 275/55/20 w/ Black Rhino Mozambique wheels and it was my understanding thats the largest tire that could fit without modifications. Im adding new links in the front as I get tired of hearing her rub the fender liners at full lock pulling out of our driveway or when traveling on the highway and hitting a dip.
Nice setup, those are popular wheels out here in SoCal. I was hoping with links and spacers I could make 33s work with the QL, but the more I research it I am finding that 275/55/20 may be the limit for me. Everyone running 33s seems to have the traditional steel coil spring suspension setup. Regardless though, I'm adding links for the same reason you are my tires have begun to rub little holes into the felt fender liners.

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Huelsman
Nice setup, those are popular wheels out here in SoCal. I was hoping with links and spacers I could make 33s work with the QL, but the more I research it I am finding that 275/55/20 may be the limit for me. Everyone running 33s seems to have the traditional steel coil spring suspension setup. Regardless though, I'm adding links for the same reason you are my tires have begun to rub little holes into the felt fender liners.
Yeah we had a 2015 wk2 Limited w/ the ecodiesel (non QL) and the tires rubbed only when brand new. Traded it in for the trailhawk, and now they rub more frequently. Only difference is the QL.

Good thing we don’t live in CA or my wife would have me buying her different wheels if she’d be seeing them everywhere during her drive.