• HTML tutorial

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

It's going to be a long process, but I'm starting off on my overland rig. Right now it's more of a forest road cruiser that I take out camping, but one day it will be worthy of exploring the world (ok maybe not the world).

I started off with a 2015 Toyota Tacoma double cab long bed, which I traded my 1998 Honda Passport for back in December. I'd always wanted a Tacoma and as soon as it was time for me to get a new vehicle, my first stop was the Toyota dealership. Unfortunately getting the Tacoma also made me give up my beloved 2011 Volvo C30 R with a Polestar tune on it, but the Taco has filled the void for me for the most part.

Here's how she was the day I picked her up:

It didn't take long for me to start swapping out parts. I ended up taking off the lackluster OEM tires and traded up to a set of 265/75/16 BFGoodrich KO2's, mostly to help me get through the snowy Michigan winter, but also because I was impressed with their reviews and figured they'd serve me well once summer hit. I also put on an EGR bug shield, more for looks than anything.

After the snow melted and the roads were no longer a salty, slushy mess, I ordered a set of TRD bronze wheels with the simulated beadlock. I wanted these when I bought the truck, but figured I should save up some money before dropping a grand on some wheels.

Soon after the wheels I wanted to do some cosmetic upgrades that didn't really serve any real off road purpose. I swapped out the fog lights of a set of Morimoto LED lights with some yellow film, along with changing out head lights with a set of Bad Ass LED bulbs and some VLED switch backs for the DRLs.

After having to do some recoveries with my truck and not having a suitable anchor point, I took the inexpensive route and went with a Curt shackle that went in the hitch. So far it's been a beast and I've even manage to pull a co-workers Toyota Sequoia after it broke down.

Finally, this past weekend I got my light set up all mounted and wired up. I went with an Nfab light bar and a set of 6" KC Apollo driving lamps and 6" Piaa 520 Ion Yellow fog/dust lights. I ended up wiring everything up to a Blue Sea fuse box that I mounted up using a custom bracket I cobbled together out of some scrap metal. After running the wires into the cab I also connected them to two Air on Board switches to make it look a little more OEM.

So this is where I sit now. Next up I'm thinking about doing a set of Bilstien 5100's to level out the front a bit and then I'd like to start figuring out an onboard sleeping solution. I'm thinking about doing a Bestop for the bed and then building a sleeping platform, but having really figured it out yet.

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone's doing in this community, I've watched the YouTube videos for a while and finally figured I'd join up and share my rig with everyone.

===

Modifications:

Engine:

• TRD Cat-Back Exhaust
  • TRD Drop in Air Filter
Wheels/Tires:
  • TRD Pro Bronze Simulated Bead Lock 16" Wheels
  • BFGoodrich KO2 All Terrain Tires 265/75/16
Exterior:
  • CBI Off Road Ditch Light Brackets
  • CBI Off Road Moab 2.0 Bumper
  • EGR Matte Bug Shield
  • EGR Matte Window Visors
  • Curt Receiver Mounted Recovery Shackle
  • Secured Rear Cargo Doors
  • RokBlokz Mudflaps
  • Softopper Canvas Top
  • BAMF CB Antenna Mount
  • Far North by Design Custom Bedside Decals
Lighting:
  • 2 2.25" KC Flex LED lights
  • Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights
  • Morimoto Retrofitted HID Headlights
  • VLED Switchback LED Running Lights
  • BrightAss LED Headlight Conversion
Electrical:
  • Blue Sea Auxiliary Fuse Box
  • Blue Sea 100 Amp Circuit Breaker
Interior:
  • WeatherTech Floor Mats
  • TRD Shift Knob
  • Custom Air On Board Switches
  • GenTex Rearview Mirror w/ Compass, Auto Dim, and HomeLink
  • UltraGauge MX
  • Morale Patch Headliner
  • Flyezeye LED Interior Lighting
Communication:
  • Cobra 75 WX-ST CB Radio
  • 3' Firestik Antenna
  • 18' Coax with Firering
  • Firestik Quick Disconnect
Recovery & Safety Gear:
  • MaxTrax
  • Custom Mounted Bedside Shovel
  • Various Tow Straps & Chains
  • Lifehammer Emergency Hammer
  • First Aid Kit

Last edited:
Reactions: SLO Rob

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
This is looking like a great build! Now all you need is about a million other things :blush: Haha. THe list is never ending, but you have a great start. Sliders, Armor, lift, etc, can all com in time. Great build!

M

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

Thanks! Yup, still a ways to go but I think the bank might start questioning why I'm modifying their truck do much. It's fun though and having a vehicle that can do some exploring is a ton of fun, I can't wait until I get the thing paid off relatively soon so I can start really building on it.

And I got my Overland Bound badge over the weekend since I wanted to be able to rep the group!

Reactions: SLO Rob

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

Recently added a few more things to the Tacoma.

First up was fitting my EGR window visors, I like to always have my window cracked to let some fresh air into the truck and these make it so I can do it when the weather is cooperating.

Then after a trip to Home Depot, I made a DIY shovel mount that used T-Slot nuts in the bed rail channels. Luckily I haven't had to use it yet, but I like that it's there. I also threw a lock on it so it didn't walk away.

Now I just need to finish up my mounting rack for my Maxtrax and rear pod lights and I think I'll be ready for winter driving.

Last edited:

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

Thanks guys!

Did a couple more things to the truck:

Added a GenTex auto dimming mirror with built in compass and HomeLink. The compass wasn't really needed, but having HomeLink and auto dimming is totally worth it. I also hooked up my Ultra Gauge MX with the mirror too. I'm still playing around with it, but it's nice to be able to get various temperatures and have fairly accurate fuel range.

I also threw my Mjölnir pendant on there for good measure, never know what you'll need the protection of Thor.

I also got my RokBlokz mudflaps installed, the OEM flaps on the Taco weren't wide enough for my tires and my rockers were getting chewed up. These stick out way more and offer better protection. They are also slightly shorter so I won't keep banging them off curbs, rocks, etc.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

I honestly think Tacomas are one of the best choices for builds out there right now. Super capable, good mid range size, decent mileage, ridiculously reliable. And that's right out of the box!

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

It is a solid platform, i'd really like a new 4-Runner. Gotta get the wife outta college first. And i have 2 boys under 3yrs old.... Wait....I just realized, it will be 15 years when the kids are out of the house before i'll be able to buy a new 4-Runner lol..

Nev

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Bay Area, CA
Member #

Thanks guys!

Did a couple more things to the truck:

Added a GenTex auto dimming mirror with built in compass and HomeLink. The compass wasn't really needed, but having HomeLink and auto dimming is totally worth it. I also hooked up my Ultra Gauge MX with the mirror too. I'm still playing around with it, but it's nice to be able to get various temperatures and have fairly accurate fuel range.

I also threw my Mjölnir pendant on there for good measure, never know what you'll need the protection of Thor.

I also got my RokBlokz mudflaps installed, the OEM flaps on the Taco weren't wide enough for my tires and my rockers were getting chewed up. These stick out way more and offer better protection. They are also slightly shorter so I won't keep banging them off curbs, rocks, etc.

That's awesome! I just bought a 2015 Taco TRD Off Road and love some your mods!! How did you wire up the mirror? I want to fit one of those with integrated ext. temperature and compass....I read most of the wiring is actually in place already?? Any advice on this...? Cheers!

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
isn't the Tacoma the model that comes with that new cool automatic get unstuck feature?
I think it has the same thing as my FJ. A-track feature. It works great.
Awesome truck, welcome to the MOD BUG MONEY PIT. I love to spend and work on it to make it a more capable a rig..
It's funny when people ask if I take it off road, yes but it's about (for me) the DIY aspect that makes getting out and testing myself.
The vehicle will do whey more than my nerve. Have fun.....

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

That's awesome! I just bought a 2015 Taco TRD Off Road and love some your mods!! How did you wire up the mirror? I want to fit one of those with integrated ext. temperature and compass....I read most of the wiring is actually in place already?? Any advice on this...? Cheers!
Most 2015's have the wiring already ran for the mirror, all you have to do is take off the overhead console and look. There should be a 14 pin connector taped to the headliner near the top of the windshield. All you need to do is plug the mirror in, calibrate the compass by driving around in circles a few times, and you're good to go.

I bought my mirror from Bob Prim of Bob's Mirrors. He's a member on TacomaWorld which is how I found him. I think all together my mirror was like $290 after shipping. You can look at his website here: http://www.bobsmirrors.com/about/

isn't the Tacoma the model that comes with that new cool automatic get unstuck feature?
The 2016's have something called CRAWL or something similar to that that will get it unstuck apparently.

I think it has the same thing as my FJ. A-track feature. It works great.
Awesome truck, welcome to the MOD BUG MONEY PIT. I love to spend and work on it to make it a more capable a rig..
It's funny when people ask if I take it off road, yes but it's about (for me) the DIY aspect that makes getting out and testing myself.
The vehicle will do whey more than my nerve. Have fun.....
Same here, I don't offroad much mainly because it's a $35k truck and it's still new enough where I don't want to beat it up. I'll do some seasonal roads though which are about as extreme as I want to take it. Maybe if I ever make it out west I'll explore a little more and see what it can do.

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

Man it has been a while since I've update this. Not much happened over the winter, but over the past couple of days the weather has been relatively warm and nice so it allowed me to work on some stuff. First, here's a couple of shots from over the winter. The one is when I was in Ludington for work and the other is during one of our many Snowpocolypse's.

Now for what I've actually been working on. I managed to snag a Softopper off a guy on Craigslist and it's sat in my basement most of the winter since it was too cold to really mess with putting it on. I did managed to get it installed yesterday though and I really like the way it makes the truck look. I also bought a bunch of wood for building a sleeping platform and some drawers in the back to finally convert the truck into a lowkey overland rig.

I also got my CB antenna hooked up using a bracket from BAMF. I went with a 4' Firestik and an 18' coax with the Firering on it. I got my radio also, a Cobra 75 WX-ST, but I still need to figure out how and where I wanted to mount it. I figured getting the antenna cabling ran would at least help me with the project. I got a quick disconnect too so I can take off the antenna for the parking garage at work.

Also, I got my bedside decals on. They're actually my second set since I goofed up installing the first ones, but these came from a Secret Santa on Tacomawold.

And yes, I know there's no mountains in Michigan :tonguewink:

Oh and I may or may not have gotten a little carried away with my patch game.

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

Great looking truck! Needs more antennas though :)

Love the patches on your headliner. I've only got four so far :(

Reactions: Joey D

rootUser

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Domino Street, Parker, CO, USA
Member #

Man it has been a while since I've update this. Not much happened over the winter, but over the past couple of days the weather has been relatively warm and nice so it allowed me to work on some stuff. First, here's a couple of shots from over the winter. The one is when I was in Ludington for work and the other is during one of our many Snowpocolypse's.

Now for what I've actually been working on. I managed to snag a Softopper off a guy on Craigslist and it's sat in my basement most of the winter since it was too cold to really mess with putting it on. I did managed to get it installed yesterday though and I really like the way it makes the truck look. I also bought a bunch of wood for building a sleeping platform and some drawers in the back to finally convert the truck into a lowkey overland rig.

I also got my CB antenna hooked up using a bracket from BAMF. I went with a 4' Firestik and an 18' coax with the Firering on it. I got my radio also, a Cobra 75 WX-ST, but I still need to figure out how and where I wanted to mount it. I figured getting the antenna cabling ran would at least help me with the project. I got a quick disconnect too so I can take off the antenna for the parking garage at work.

Also, I got my bedside decals on. They're actually my second set since I goofed up installing the first ones, but these came from a Secret Santa on Tacomawold.

And yes, I know there's no mountains in Michigan :tonguewink:

Oh and I may or may not have gotten a little carried away with my patch game.

How are you attaching your patches? Love the rig!

Reactions: Joey D

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

Great looking truck! Needs more antennas though :)

Love the patches on your headliner. I've only got four so far :(
Once I get my CB up and running, I might consider a dual antenna setup for some more range in front and back of truck. Plus, I agree, more antennas are always cool.

How are you attaching your patches? Love the rig!
Thanks! Just using Velcro on the back of the patches. It sticks to the headliner surprisingly well.