• HTML tutorial

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

I got my CBI Off Road ditch light brackets and KC light pods the other day and finally got around to installing them. I'm still waiting on my new Pelfreybilt aux fuse box so they aren't wired up yet, but at least they're mounted up and ready to go.

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

I got my CBI Off Road ditch light brackets and KC light pods the other day and finally got around to installing them. I'm still waiting on my new Pelfreybilt aux fuse box so they aren't wired up yet, but at least they're mounted up and ready to go.

Do you have a link to those light pods?

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Man it has been a while since I've update this. Not much happened over the winter, but over the past couple of days the weather has been relatively warm and nice so it allowed me to work on some stuff. First, here's a couple of shots from over the winter. The one is when I was in Ludington for work and the other is during one of our many Snowpocolypse's.

Now for what I've actually been working on. I managed to snag a Softopper off a guy on Craigslist and it's sat in my basement most of the winter since it was too cold to really mess with putting it on. I did managed to get it installed yesterday though and I really like the way it makes the truck look. I also bought a bunch of wood for building a sleeping platform and some drawers in the back to finally convert the truck into a lowkey overland rig.

I also got my CB antenna hooked up using a bracket from BAMF. I went with a 4' Firestik and an 18' coax with the Firering on it. I got my radio also, a Cobra 75 WX-ST, but I still need to figure out how and where I wanted to mount it. I figured getting the antenna cabling ran would at least help me with the project. I got a quick disconnect too so I can take off the antenna for the parking garage at work.

Also, I got my bedside decals on. They're actually my second set since I goofed up installing the first ones, but these came from a Secret Santa on Tacomawold.

And yes, I know there's no mountains in Michigan :tonguewink:

Oh and I may or may not have gotten a little carried away with my patch game.

Oh and I may or may not have gotten a little carried away with my patch game.

[/QUOTE]
Hey.Joe....Check.your.headliner....I.came.over.and."borrowed"your."X".patch....:sunglasses:

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

After waiting for about 6 weeks I got finally got my Prinsu Design Cab Rack and got it installed, it was totally worth the wait since it's a really quality product. It was a bit of a pain installing it since it was just me and I had the bright idea to build it on my garage floor before bolting it to the roof, it wasn't super heavy but man was it awkward to wrestle into place. Took some adjusting once I got it on the roof, but I'm really happy with how it turned out.

I still need to mount my 40" Morimoto X Torch LED light bar up there, but I'm still in the process of getting my Pelfrybilt aux fuse panel put together and wired up. Once I get that done I can get all my lights rewired or just plain wired up and I'll be able to conquer the night since I'll essentially have a small sun on the front of my truck. I also need to figure out a good way to mount my MaxTrax up there and I need to get around to getting an ARB awning to bolt to the side to make camping a little more pleasant when it's hot outside.

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

I've been goofing around with the truck for the past week or so and figured I'd update my thread regarding the truck.

I got my light bar on, however it's still not wired up since I'm still working on my new aux fuse panel. I'll probably finish it up tomorrow barring the weather stays half way decent.

I opted to put some yellow lens on it to help balance it out a bit better. I might switch it back to all white once I see how it is, but this is the setup most guys on the Tacoma forum are running.

Here's the aux fuse panel that's a WIP. The second breaker will control the fuse panel that I'll eventually mount in the bed to control the on board air supply.

I also got my reinforced tailgate skin this afternoon and threw it on real quick. I managed to lose a bolt somewhere in my driveway and I can't find it, so I'll need to head to the hardware store to replace it. At any rate I'm ready to take the quad bikes up north next weekend since putting one in the bed means it'll be resting on the tailgate.

Finally, I it was slow a few days ago while I was working from home and figured I'd wrap my handles in paracord while I was sitting on a 3 hour conference call. I'm eventually going to make some handles that fit around the head rest to help short people (like my mother-in-law) get in the backseat of my truck.

Oh and my patch game is still on point

Reactions: murps

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
Have you figured out where you are going to mount your CB? I just purchased a 2013 Tacoma and have been debating where to mount mine. It has a lot of dash but not a lot of spaces. I have been trying see where others have mounted there's but have not found any photos as of yet.

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

Have you figured out where you are going to mount your CB? I just purchased a 2013 Tacoma and have been debating where to mount mine. It has a lot of dash but not a lot of spaces. I have been trying see where others have mounted there's but have not found any photos as of yet.
I just ended up screwing the mount into the trim that goes around the center stack. I mounted coax connections under the cup holder in the center console since it pops right out and has a few easy places to ground it.

====

I did some more work this past week on the fuse box and getting the lights all hooked up.

I still need to do a ton of wire management and figure out my relay block since it's not in an ideal spot. I just wanted to make sure that everything worked and get all the wires ran under the hood.

Reactions: Conroe

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
Joe D, I realize my problem. My CBs are all old school ones. They just have regular mics with the radio as the main part of the body. I guess I'm gonna have to buy me a fourth radio.

Seriously though, I'm thinking I am going to mount the radio in/ to the center console. It depends on the radio due to their various sizes. I'm not apposed to modifying the console though.

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

Joe D, I realize my problem. My CBs are all old school ones. They just have regular mics with the radio as the main part of the body. I guess I'm gonna have to buy me a fourth radio.

Seriously though, I'm thinking I am going to mount the radio in/ to the center console. It depends on the radio due to their various sizes. I'm not apposed to modifying the console though.
My first CB was this Maxon MCB-30

new one...

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

the Cobra 19DX, Uniden PRO50XL, and Uniden PRO150XL all fit in the arm rest.

I'd recommend getting a mic extension, and wiring it into the front of the arm rest so your mic is outside the center console. I'd also recommend getting an external speaker, as it will sound TERRIBLE with the internal speaker inside a closed arm rest.

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
I already have a Cobra 19DX, this is a good option that means I don't have to hack and slay the dash in my '13 Tacoma. I was looking at the small cubby spot at the base of the dash just in front of my shifter for this radio. I just wasn't sure how deep it was behind the plastic. All my other radios are much bigger and require much different solutions.

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

So while I really like my Softtopper, I wanted something more water tight since I'm going to start building my rig up more to do overland travel that's more off the beaten path. I met a nice dude on the TacomWorld forums that had recently picked up a new truck and was selling his Leer 100R in Silver Mica. While the Mica is slightly different than the Silver Streak that my truck it, it was close enough to where I didn't really care and at $450 bucks I couldn't pass it up. He even bought some new hardware for it before having me pick it up.

Now I just need to get the Prinsu Designs TopRac to match my CabRac and I'll be all set to mount a RTT on it and get more into adventure mode.

Hopefully there's an Off the Grid Rally next year and I can venture over to it!

Reactions: Chris St. Clair

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

Great looking rig and some really thoughtful mods!! You will be glad you went with the canopy - adds a lot of options for either storage or living/sleeping, I LOVE my Tacoma and although it is a bit of money drain -- it FUNctional and FUN!! It was how I found Overlanding - since the internet took me to sites like this. You have it all well in hand and I will like keeping an eye on things.

I put my CB on the passenger side of the console mounted sideways. I have a link in my sig to my truck to some pictures. Just today I am getting a http://radcotruckaccessories.com/i-14352661-leer-locker-cap-pack-sport-5.html put in and have a snorkel on order that MULE Expedition will be installing in the next week or so - so you can see it is an ongoing affair (and I mean affair!!) as funds/time/knowledge present themselves.

Next stop for me will be wheels/tires when these run out ----- if they ever do!!

Happy wheeling, Taco Bro'......:blush:

Reactions: Joey D

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

Lift kit went on today, opted for 3" since I thought that was probably the sweet spot between drivability and functionality. It's a set of Bilstein 5100 coilovers and Light Racing upper control arms in the front with an add-a-leaf and Fox 2.0 shocks in the rear.

Reactions: g-hammer

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

The weather is finally nice in Utah, so I had a chance to work on the rig yesterday. I got my CBI Moab 2.0 bumper put on and got my retrofitted HID lights on as well. I love the bumper but the instructions provided by CBI are horrendous, but I gave them a call and they were super helpful at getting everything sorted out for me after I texted them some pictures.

How the day started:

Finished product:

Conroe

Rank II

Advocate II

Hey man, love the build! I've seen a bunch of those little pod lights or similar at the bottom of the A pillar on US trucks, but we never really see it in Australia. How do they go, do you find them useful? Much bonnet glare?

Also how do you guys stick your patches on the roof liner?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

Hey man, love the build! I've seen a bunch of those little pod lights or similar at the bottom of the A pillar on US trucks, but we never really see it in Australia. How do they go, do you find them useful? Much bonnet glare?

Also how do you guys stick your patches on the roof liner?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Thanks!

The pods work pretty well, they are mounted to brackets that either attach to some of the fender bolts or the hinge to lift up the hood.

I have mine angled off to the side so there's no glare, I mainly use them to shine light into the ditch where deer like to hide out at night. It's also useful on the trail since it gives you a wider light pattern.

As for the patches, the Tacoma's headliner is made from a material that works well with the hook side of Velcro. There's a lot of rigs that it won't work for, I know some other guys use sewing pins or fabric tape.