2012 Kia Soul SVO Build

• HTML tutorial

itsdchz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Clovis, CA
Member #

It doesn't matter what you drive! Sure is an amazing thread and build! Love seeing the progress and support. You are providing an entirely new world to those who thought their vehicle could not! BRAVO!

Reactions: btedesign

Enthusiast III

Whitby, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Byrne
Member #

Awesome build and good to see another who is taking a fwd and making it an overlander! Check out my build: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/not-your-typical-overland-rig-2015-dodge-grand-caravan.18083/page-2#post-258002
The Geolanders look great, how do they preform? I was going to use those on my rig but opted for BFG K02 A/T's instead, they are amazing offroad. I think half of the fun of building out something that was never designed for this is coming up with the mods on our own; suspension, armor, recovery, and all the little things that make up a great rig.
Will be visiting Lakeland in early October, I'll keep an eye out for your rig.

btedesign

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakeland, fl
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Sardone
Member #

Today I did a small section (30 miles) of the Chattahoochee National Forest. It was great. I forgot to air down when I hit the trail and the car was really not happy. I aired down to 20psi and the ride was amazing. I find it funny that this small little front wheel drive Soul can really do the job quite nicely . https://www.gaiagps.com/public/juEDeD5GG8XgzFBCZjARacRsIMG_6879.JPGIMG_6869.JPGIMG_6861.JPGIMG_6881.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

btedesign

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakeland, fl
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Sardone
Member #

Almost got in over my head. Had a few moments of "why am I out here alone!" 2 shallow water crossings, lots of deep mud I had to navigate around. Some real boxer changing moments when you are out in the woods solo. But in the end this car really impressed me! I did not expect to crawl up sandy hills or through really deep mud in this thing. Super happy I didn't get stuck [emoji15] lessons learned. I recorded the trip on video, when accessing the camera the file was corrupted.

https://www.gaiagps.com/public/TpOALIBTBikI6VIGJvUbsdag

IMG_6896.JPGIMG_6893.JPGIMG_6902.JPGIMG_6892.JPG

btedesign

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakeland, fl
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Sardone
Member #

Haha rad mate, brave man out there alone in the Soul! Looking good man! Can’t wait for more adventures [emoji1598][emoji1598][emoji1598]
Thank you. I headed out down the trail and everything seemed great. then I started going down terrain that I really didn't want to go back up. It was a been there done that feeling. So I kept on going and then MUD. Lots of mud. Thankfully the Soul is pretty narrow compared to the cars that made the mud holes so I was able to drive around a few or at least keep one side of the rig up on dry dirt to give myself some insurance that I wasn't going to be stuck for days.

Reactions: Overland_Mitsu

AlOrMi

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Kennesaw, Georgia
Member #

If your Soul didn't come with a full size spare, I'd recommend getting a steel rim with a same diameter tire as you're using, also get a good quality scissor jacket. It all fits in the original spare tire space, but you may want to build an elevated plywood platform/cover which will support gear.

btedesign

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakeland, fl
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Sardone
Member #

This is where I have gotten creative. The spare is in the back. But being front drive if a front tire blows I will move a tire off the back to the front and put the space saving tire on the back. Soon I will be getting a deflated full size to go in the back so it fits in the wheel well.

Lots of little things take a lot of thought you are working with a front drive compact cuv.

Reactions: Overland_Mitsu

gabe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

miami
Member #

Almost got in over my head. Had a few moments of "why am I out here alone!" 2 shallow water crossings, lots of deep mud I had to navigate around. Some real boxer changing moments when you are out in the woods solo. But in the end this car really impressed me! I did not expect to crawl up sandy hills or through really deep mud in this thing. Super happy I didn't get stuck [emoji15] lessons learned. I recorded the trip on video, when accessing the camera the file was corrupted.

https://www.gaiagps.com/public/TpOALIBTBikI6VIGJvUbsdag

View attachment 69412View attachment 69414View attachment 69415View attachment 69413
That’s crazy. Keep living the dream it’s awesome.

btedesign

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakeland, fl
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Sardone
Member #

I acutely looked at the SSD stuff. I was going to get their roof bars but they didn't have the strength I needed for the RTT, soon to be roof basket and solar panel. But they do have a nice strut bar and also front light bar that I think I might jump on. I'll post my build of the rear roof bar/ 3rd roof bar that allowed us to move the tent to the rear freeing up space on the front rack and also allowing for better mpg due to the RTT not being very aerodynamic. Now that the RTT is in the back the front faring can push the air over the rtt bringing my mpg from 18 to 22. It also will allow someone to put on a full length roof basket. [emoji16]IMG_6711.JPGIMG_6712.JPGIMG_6788.JPGIMG_6835.JPGIMG_6709.JPG

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

Okay, gotta admit this is pretty cool. My wife has an '18 Soul that we've been using as our road-tripper car...lots of fun in that little thing as long as it's just her and I!

Giving me some ideas on what I can do to make it just a little more off-pavement worthy.

Reactions: btedesign

btedesign

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakeland, fl
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Sardone
Member #

Okay, gotta admit this is pretty cool. My wife has an '18 Soul that we've been using as our road-tripper car...lots of fun in that little thing as long as it's just her and I!

Giving me some ideas on what I can do to make it just a little more off-pavement worthy.
For a front wheel drive it performs quite nicely. I would like something large but this things keeps it interesting. No lift mods on the market... So that's something you'll have to deal with. I would love to have another 2 inches of height.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I like your little adventure moble. I know you have limitations on the places you can take it but what a economical way to see the country. My wife and I are looking to get a Rave-4 in the future so we can road trip around the country. I am building a teardrop style trailer for behind my off road rig and am hoping that when it's done It weighs in under 2-k fully loaded cause the adventure package on the Rave-4 has a towing capacity of 3-k. You taking something small and using it the way you are is great! How fun, thanks for sharing.