2011 Land Rover Defender Icarus Rough Edition

• HTML tutorial

Roverlanders

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Stockholm
Member #

It sounds just right for the two of us. Our Defender is a 3 door hard top so storage isn't such an issue for us but something to use all year around and sleep in comfort would be just great.
You could also look at a custom interior with a bed inside. There are some good options that would work for two people. But it works better with a pop top since you get more headroom.

Roverlanders

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Stockholm
Member #

It sounds just right for the two of us. Our Defender is a 3 door hard top so storage isn't such an issue for us but something to use all year around and sleep in comfort would be just great.
I will pick up the car on sunday. Can shoot some more pictures then to show you some specific thats good to know if you plan to invest in an Icarus.

ttephotos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Izmir, Turkey
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Awesome work, am over in the UK we should try to meetup sometime when my Jeep finishes, putting the Expedition 3 RTT on next month with front runner rack as well!

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

Thats a nice area to spend some time in!

We went down through Germany, took the Romantische Strasse to Neuschwanstein. Then across Austria to Slovenia (bled and Soca river valley) and then the Croatian coast. The plan was to continue down Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania and Greece, but the weather forecast was ridiculously bad, so we turned to Italy, visiting Venice, Verona, Garda lake, then to the west coast via Florence to Pisa and then Cinque Terre. We continued along the coast to France, via Nice then to see the Verdon Gorge. Then to Annecy, up towards the Alps via Chamonix then back accross to italy where we spent some time in Cortina exploring the Dolomites. Then we started heading back home. Salzburg, Prague, Dresden through Luxembourg and Mullerthal. Then Belgium to stock up on some beer in Bruges and Brussels (as well as Westvleteren for the really good stuff). We then drove through the Netherlands back to Hamburg to fix some issues before heading home via Kiel.

Any trips planned for the summer?
This summers plan is 4 weeks visiting the Scottish Islands and Highlands. I need to finish a trip from 3 years ago I couldn't complete due to illness. That said, if the weather looks bad we will head south to the Pyrenees or maybe head for Slovenia. We had hoped to get to Slovenia last year but 3 weeks wasn't long enough without more one night stops and we tend to like a couple of days to explore each stop we make. We tend to driver for two or three hours, stop for lunch somewhere nice and then drive for another couple of hours in the afternoon and start looking for a camp site around 4pm.

Roverlanders

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Stockholm
Member #

Awesome work, am over in the UK we should try to meetup sometime when my Jeep finishes, putting the Expedition 3 RTT on next month with front runner rack as well!
Nice! The Expedition 3 looks great! You must be itching to get it fitted now that summer is coming..
Love to meet up sometime. I'm also getting more and more in to photography and always enjoy meeting talented people like yourself. Really enjoyed looking through your portfolio!

We have been talking about taking a trip to the UK/Ireland but not sure if that is in the cards for this year. We have a 16 month old son who's interest in staying in his car seat is getting smaller by the minute :( So we will probably stay in Scandinavia for the Summer to keep those long drives to a minimum. Will you do any traveling this summer?

ttephotos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Izmir, Turkey
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Nice! The Expedition 3 looks great! You must be itching to get it fitted now that summer is coming..
Love to meet up sometime. I'm also getting more and more in to photography and always enjoy meeting talented people like yourself. Really enjoyed looking through your portfolio!

We have been talking about taking a trip to the UK/Ireland but not sure if that is in the cards for this year. We have a 16 month old son who's interested in staying in his car seat is getting smaller by the minute :( So we will probably stay in Scandinavia for the Summer to keep those long drives to a minimum. Will you do any traveling this summer?
O ya a fair bit of travels planned for the rest of the year, might even end up in Morocco, but will be hitting the Alps and Dolomites for sure as well as Highlands and Snowdonia. Folks come out in November though and that will be mostly air travel. I am in the UK until at least 2019 though and have another friend up in Sweden so I am sure I will be up in your area with or without the Jeep at some point! Thanks for the kind words on my work, hopefully once the Jeep is up I will be able to stay out longer and go more remote!

Roverlanders

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Stockholm
Member #

O ya a fair bit of travels planned for the rest of the year, might even end up in Morocco, but will be hitting the Alps and Dolomites for sure as well as Highlands and Snowdonia. Folks come out in November though and that will be mostly air travel. I am in the UK until at least 2019 though and have another friend up in Sweden so I am sure I will be up in your area with or without the Jeep at some point! Thanks for the kind words on my work, hopefully once the Jeep is up I will be able to stay out longer and go more remote!
Sounds great! We'll keep in touch

Roverlanders

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Stockholm
Member #

Quick update. Things are moving along with the interior. Bought a second hand unit, so there will be some changes made to the unit.

Once finished the units will be wrapped to match the color scheme of the rig.

Outlets, switches and water filling spout is going in.

Also, the Frontrunner water tank is in.

Trying out the space on the fridge substructure with a snomaster 40l. Will hopefully be able to fit the 60l with dual compartment so we get both fridge and freezer in the rig.

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170608/216a9658a0cd86f0889f2f120025c155.jpg

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

Can I ask if you had to have the sides strengthened to take the weight of the roof and two people sleeping up there?

It is a really nice job you have had done there.

Roverlanders

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Stockholm
Member #

No reinforcements has been made. It's approved by TUV, so it should be fine. A bit more top heavy off course but thats the same with RTTs in general. Used to have a Maggiolina Grand Tour Large, that weighs around 75kg + standard roof + roof rack. The Icarus weighs in at 125kg so the difference is not that much.

I know LR states 150kg of roof load for expeditions, standard roof load 75kg, so it will hold but you have to be a little careful around the bends.

It's absolutely great and even more comfortable if you have a nice heater in the car. For us, thats one of the greatest advantages compared too a RTT, being able to get extra heating to the sleeping area. Setup and take down is really easy and quick (up in 30 sek and down in 1-2 minutes). What i like with the Icarus compared to other brands of pop tops for the defender is that the bedding can be pushed up on gas struts giving you a lot of room for cooking/changing clothes. In many of the others the bed is made up of sections that can be lifted and pushed a side.

We are now putting in an interior that gives us a lot of storage and room to drive and sleep 4 adults, which will be amazing!
Beautiful 110 congratulations.

How do you use the 5 doors I haven't really thought of a use for them, they certainly look cooler but I think they would get in the way of storage? How much does the Icarus top cost(ish)
Because I'm looking at the cost of pop toping my 110 commercial td5

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Roverlanders

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Stockholm
Member #

Thanks!
We are soon a family of 4 + a dog so 4 of the doors are used for just getting in and out. We actually use it as our daily drive right now.
The door behind the driver (rear left) is used for accessing the fridge and storage below the fridge.

Cost is about €9-10.000 fitted in Europe.

Oh I see I have a family of 6 (me included) so mine can't be a daily it's more of me and the oldest boy for long weekends, my family daily is a Volvo XC90 with air suspension (up to 75mm lift) when we go as a family I have a home made camper trailer Australian style. Do you regret the popping of your 110 or your choice, would you recommend it. And what would you reccomend to do first to mine.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Dr Defendr

Rank 0

Traveler I

Oh I see I have a family of 6 (me included) so mine can't be a daily it's more of me and the oldest boy for long weekends, my family daily is a Volvo XC90 with air suspension (up to 75mm lift) when we go as a family I have a home made camper trailer Australian style. Do you regret the popping of your 110 or your choice, would you recommend it. And what would you reccomend to do first to mine.

Thanks

Turbo,
I recommend you find someone local with each type of tent conversion for you to experience in person. I was able to experience the Alu-cab conversion and decided it wasn't right for my camping needs based on the cost and minimal roof top storage. I wish there were more Defender camping setups in the USA for me to test first hand. I would love to see this one:

Attachments

Reactions: Jimmy P