Broken Yoke

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portland, ME, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Jackson
adjusting from a 2010 VW touareg to a 2015 4runner is going better than expected so far. I have a tire swap and alignment scheduled next week before a 3 day trip back up to the maine north woods. thankfully my recently purchased toyo open country load-e tires will fit the the 2015 4runner. next stop will be diff, trans and transfer case fluid change before the snow flies.

the only thing I don't like about my new 4runner are the halogen headlights, pretty sure two candles would put out more light...thinking LED headlight bulbs might solve that. I will also be adding the tail and turn mod by diode dynamics as well.

in other news I finally ordered a handheld gmrs radio because 'north maine woods' :grin:

that is all!

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
@Broken Yoke NMW uses MURS or at least those were the channels that were posted last time we were up there. Depending on the Handheld GMRS radio you have they might be able to monitor those channels.

Road to the Trains is going to be closed Oct 17 according to their website.

btw welcome to the OB glad to see another Mainiac

Reactions: Broken Yoke

Broken Yoke

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portland, ME, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Jackson
@Broken Yoke NMW uses MURS or at least those were the channels that were posted last time we were up there. Depending on the Handheld GMRS radio you have they might be able to monitor those channels.

Road to the Trains is going to be closed Oct 17 according to their website.

btw welcome to the OB glad to see another Mainiac
yes, I remember the murs radio signs along the road now that you say that. I think I might be able to monitor those freq's but of course I wouldn't be able to transmit. I am new to the gmrs game but I
see there is zero gmrs repeater coverage up there. I might pick up a cheap murs radio anyway.

handheld radios, yet another rabbithole to add to the list.

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
yes, I remember the murs radio signs along the road now that you say that. I think I might be able to monitor those freq's but of course I wouldn't be able to transmit. I am new to the gmrs game but I
see there is zero gmrs repeater coverage up there. I might pick up a cheap murs radio anyway.

handheld radios, yet another rabbithole to add to the list.
Yup. I picked up a Baofeng and was able to program all the gmrs, frs, murs channels into it using CHIRP. Hoping it will be useful to monitor all of those frequencies especially with an external antenna hooked up. Havent had a chance to make it back up to NMW yet to try it out.

Broken Yoke

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portland, ME, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Jackson
Yup. I picked up a Baofeng and was able to program all the gmrs, frs, murs channels into it using CHIRP. Hoping it will be useful to monitor all of those frequencies especially with an external antenna hooked up. Havent had a chance to make it back up to NMW yet to try it out.

I picked up two wouxun k935-g handhelds, the learning curve isn't too bad. I still have to add tones for the repeaters but I added a bunch of maine ones. I even went the extra mile and got the FCC license!

Broken Yoke

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portland, ME, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Jackson
update: I have been slowing picking away at the unknown previous maintenance items on the 4runner...transmission, diff fluids etc. I recently pulled off my OEM roof rails/crossbars to use as a template for a new custom roof rack. I also removed my side steps that will be replaced with custom rock sliders that tie into the frame. I will be using scrap t-slot aluminum rail cut offs from a couple of solar projects for the roof rack and 1/4" u-channel steel shipping brackets that come on our industrial generators...recycle, re-use! I can do basic stick and mig welding, but I am very happy to be trading work with a buddy that is a top notch tig fabricator.

this weekend I pulled my 4runner back seats and my two buddies helped me install a used 6' bedslider I found at work over the course of two days. I carry a bunch of milwaukee packout tool boxes for work and for camping as well so this slider is an awesome upgrade. the only other person that rides back there is my always wet and muddy dog so there is another plus. besides gear hauling it will be nice to have a place to sleep when camping solo with the aforementioned always wet and muddy dog.

IMG_20230702_151354783.jpg

IMG_20230702_161547010.jpg

IMG_20230702_161446951.jpg

IMG_20230702_152753999.jpg

IMG_20230702_174501513-EDIT.jpg

Broken Yoke

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portland, ME, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Jackson
the next task on the 4runner this weekend...underhood dual battery setup. I run an odyessy AGM battery in the TDI and love it but I can't justify buying two odyessy AGM batteries plus the cost of the other items for a proper install on the 4runner.

I ran this same NAPA AGM battery before and was really happy with especially when using glow plugs in the dead of winter. it finally dawned on me the other day that a dual battery setup and robust electrical system is at the heart of every other future upgrade going forward be it a winch, fridge, additional lighting etc so let's start there, right?

IMG_20230706_132541193_HDR.jpg

Reactions: AggieOE

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

I haven't seen anything like that before! Looks extremely utilitarian. Are you looking at adding any permanent brackets underneath the front supports or just keeping the wood? Any concerns with the tray rattling during everyday driving?

Broken Yoke

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portland, ME, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Jackson
I haven't seen anything like that before! Looks extremely utilitarian. Are you looking at adding any permanent brackets underneath the front supports or just keeping the wood? Any concerns with the tray rattling during everyday driving?
the plywood spacer is intentional to spread out the weight/footprint of the welded brackets. the majority of the weight if not all of it is being carried by the seat mount connection and the original forward cargo area tie down mounting points, both bolted connections. I still need to swap out those plywood strips for a square piece of 1/2" plywood instead.

the way the brackets bolt in to the seat mounts sandwiches the whole bedslider down. unless you turn around while you are in the 4runner you would never know it was back there.
it is dead silent, no squeaks, rattles, hums etc. between driving around with it loaded tools all week for work and another 6 hours of driving yesterday with it empty I have yet to hear a peep outta it.
longterm plans seem to be building out the entire rear of the 4runner above the bedslider with 3/4" plywood so there is enough room to sleep back there with the dog and wifey.

that bedslider is pretty heavy, between that and all of the other weight I expect to add over the next 12 months to add it will be a long wait to upgrade the suspension.

Reactions: AggieOE and MazeVX

Broken Yoke

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portland, ME, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Jackson
no work on the dual battery setup this weekend. I was going to go with a full manual caveman (no relays) underhood battery switch setup. I decided to make life easier and instead ordered a rago fab 2nd battery box and a blue seas charging relay from amazon instead. this install will be much easier than the one pictured below. the attached pictures are a 24V system we designed in house and I built, wired and installed on a new tug boat build. I was handed a pile of parts and that is what I made out of it. it was kind of like 'build a bear workshop' but for marine electricians :smile:

20210217_062202.jpg

20210217_062312.jpg

20210217_062328.jpg

20210217_062325.jpg

Reactions: AggieOE

Broken Yoke

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portland, ME, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Jackson
5 spray cans of fluid film later..my rusty undercarriage is happy again. I even went the extra step and popped the body plugs that run the length of the rocker panels and sprayed in there too. I also
replaced the broken center console lid plastic catch. I was happy to find a metal version on amazon for cheap. I also finished wiring my remote switch for the dual battery charging relay so I don't have to run the
underhood manual switch anymore. the blue sea charging relay with small remote switch is an awesome setup, simple and well designed.

IMG_20230719_173148880_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230712_170749299.jpg

IMG_20230712_170740361(1).jpg

Broken Yoke

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portland, ME, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Jackson
rock sliders almost done being built. they are made from scrap steel generator shipping brackets. the open channel side will be faced out.
the two parts that stick out are the (longer)front door step and the (shorter) roof rack step just ahead of the rear tire. My buddy and I also came
up with a way to thru bolt these all the way thru the box frame and be able to crank them down without waffling the box frame...he is very shmart!

also tweaked the bedslider. I built a base for the new Yeti cooler with room below for a sliding drawer to be built. I replaced the old deck with 3/4"
plywood cut to be a hair longer and 7-8" wider as well. I added a 3/4"x4'x6' $50 tractor supply rubber horse mat as well.

IMG_20230828_171703850_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230828_171653065_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230802_152249902.jpg

IMG_20230801_140734994_HDR.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: Corrie and MazeVX

Broken Yoke

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portland, ME, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Jackson
off to do the third full brake job in 5 weeks, at least this one is on my 4runner. coated high carbon rotors are the only way to fly. rock sliders install is on hold till I can drop on 4runner off for a few days for
fit up. in other some what exciting news I finally burned the winch bumper files I bought off etsy. thankfully I found an awesome small local very friendly family owned shop with a burn table...score!

burnedwinch.jpg

Broken Yoke

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portland, ME, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Jackson
man, Toyota 4runner e-brake linkage springs are a nightmare. I almost miss German cars...till I remember how cheap Toyota's are to repair.

Broken Yoke

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portland, ME, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Jackson
rock sliders built, test fitted, prepp'd and primed. my buddy just finished these up for me last weekend. they are built out of scrap generator shipping brackets and a hair thicker than 1/4" and weight at least 75-80lbs each. the mounting flange (to the 4runner frame) is a single 50" long 1/4" plate held by 13 bolts each side by factory backer nuts inside of the box frame. pretty sure you could hang my 4runner from one of these sliders off of a cliff. they are super heavy and way overbuilt intentionally. I also bite the bullet and picked up my first winch. I have been looking and comparing winches for a year and half and am happy to be done with that exercise.

I also finally managed a day where I could put the 4runner up on jack stands and fluid film the underbody. I pulled off all the wheels. dropped the spare, pulled all of the plastic frame plugs, rubber rocker plugs, rocker/step bolt- nutsert cavity etc, etc. this was my third go this season with a new FF gun running off a 30 gallon compressor. the FF gun is kinda pricey to buy but way faster and cheaper than the FF spray cans. the plastic frame caps/plugs on the 4runners don't come out neat or in one piece but are available at the dealership parts counter...see pix below (found online) for part number.

IMG_20231113_153214642.jpg

IMG_20231113_153208910_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231114_160839863.jpg

IMG_20231114_163434695.jpg

IMG_20231021_094622794.jpg

IMG_20231029_131120219.jpg

Last edited: