Launch Member

Traveler III

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

I'd just like to see how it fits...the Commander (as you know) isn't super popular for aftermarket support, so anything that fits good & looks good is nice to find.

Plus, I might pick up the Mt. Thielsen from CVT as a 'starter' RTT, so I'd need a rack up there, or at the very least mounts for it.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I'd just like to see how it fits...the Commander (as you know) isn't super popular for aftermarket support, so anything that fits good & looks good is nice to find.

Plus, I might pick up the Mt. Thielsen from CVT as a 'starter' RTT, so I'd need a rack up there, or at the very least mounts for it.
This is probably the best picture I have so far... I will take more.

I ran a tent on the top for all of last season without a real roof rack.

IMG_3477_modified.jpg

luchaDor

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

Nice video! I'm surprised you had to remove the factory roof rails. I guess that's my only real disappointment with the end result? I'm sure it was necessary to get it to bolt together...but that's too bad. (Though I suppose if you're concerned about clearance issues...that's a plus.)

Nice job, and I wouldn't have noticed the clicking in the video if you hadn't have called it out...

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Nice video! I'm surprised you had to remove the factory roof rails. I guess that's my only real disappointment with the end result? I'm sure it was necessary to get it to bolt together...but that's too bad. (Though I suppose if you're concerned about clearance issues...that's a plus.)

Nice job, and I wouldn't have noticed the clicking in the video if you hadn't have called it out...
It might have been possible to do something that would have left at least the look of the factory rails. I gave thought to that before I pulled them apart. That's when I realized the base of the OEM rails was all plastic.

To be honest, I actually think it looks a bit better without the factory rails. Though, I tend to think functional looks better.

To your point on the clicking. putting that together, it really started to drive me nuts. I went back and forth on it, and decided to apologize anyway.

Thanks for the feedback!

Commander Overlander

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Mandas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6JXZ
Great build, thanks for posting explanations and detailed photos. I have a Commander and am looking at what I can do with it. Thanks again.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Great build, thanks for posting explanations and detailed photos. I have a Commander and am looking at what I can do with it. Thanks again.
Thanks!

I'm planning on doing more this winter. Possibly just... another suspension project.

I'll be sure to update this thread.

Until then, if you have any questions, feel free to reach out

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Hard to find Commander accessories, what type of bumpers did you add, and where did you get them from?
I picked them up a few years ago. The guy that I bought them from (who I would warn anyone and everyone away from) went out of business shortly after I got them.

I think a company called "WAM Bumpers" bought the plans. I haven't heard much about them. I'm lead to believe you can find them on Facebook.

Be warned. These bumpers are stupidly heavy. The shipping weight was 660 pounds.

Reactions: RainGoat

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I recently purchased the 95L Dometic dual zone fridge/freezer. It didn't fit quite right.

So, the solution is to take out the second row of seats so it fits, right? Hopefully I'll have some video of the install. But here are some pictures of the process.

I haven't built the drawers yet, the lid to cover the front of the fridge, and there are still some finishing touches to be completed...

So much more space without the second row too!

IMG_4123.jpeg IMG_4125.jpeg IMG_4126.jpeg

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Great looking rig! How does it do offroad?
It does everything that I have ever needed it to do. I don't intentionally go looking for rock crawls and other extreme obstacles. It has made it through some pretty good washouts, and it's made it through some of th emore difficult lines getting up to the top of Bald Mountain.

Like everything though, it really depends on what you're looking to do with your rig. The QuadraDrive-II 4WD system makes most things pretty simple to get over though.

The two biggest challenges that I have with it were getting the suspension set up the way I liked (I think I have it) and finding various mods and parts.

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Josh, Sometime it would be interesting to hear your input on communications. You mentioned you have 3 radios, so I'm assuming CB, GMRS & HAM. I saw either a HAM or GMRS Kenwood unit on your dash in one picture and I've noted you usually use GMRS on runs. I'm trying to figure out Coms for 2 different rigs with different demands (pkus advising on some others) and I would appreciate your insight. I love the idea of GMRS where it overlaps FRS as I've already had to hand out handheld FRS units to other trucks who didn't have CBs. (Honestly, I'd love a HAM unit that would operate on GMRS/FRS but I understand that technically shouldn't happen). I know you've used your setup for SAR, family trips & OB runs so I think you would have a nice broad experience to share.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Josh, Sometime it would be interesting to hear your input on communications. You mentioned you have 3 radios, so I'm assuming CB, GMRS & HAM. I saw either a HAM or GMRS Kenwood unit on your dash in one picture and I've noted you usually use GMRS on runs. I'm trying to figure out Coms for 2 different rigs with different demands (pkus advising on some others) and I would appreciate your insight. I love the idea of GMRS where it overlaps FRS as I've already had to hand out handheld FRS units to other trucks who didn't have CBs. (Honestly, I'd love a HAM unit that would operate on GMRS/FRS but I understand that technically shouldn't happen). I know you've used your setup for SAR, family trips & OB runs so I think you would have a nice broad experience to share.
I've found that the most commonly used radios are my FRS/GMRS. Family can operate on my license, you can get plenty of power, and an external antenna. As good GMRS handhelds can be expensive, the FRS radios can be really cheep, and channels 1-7 overlap (albeit on lower power). You can also set up GMRS to user repeaters to assist with the limited range of the handhelds. Overall, this is my number one choice.

CB... The only reason I'm about to put CB back in my truck after having it out for a while, is because I almost got creamed by a logging truck not to long ago. Not that it would have for sure made a difference, but there is a chance... compared to FRS/GMRS, CB quality and range is... meh.

I don't have the other radio anymore. The Kenwood VHF radio that was on my dash belongs to the SAR Unit. Time has prevented me from being an active member, so I'm returning that so that to the unit so that someone else can get use of it.

I don't currently have my HAM license, but it's on the short list. VHF is is usually the most clear when it comes to comms, and there are obvious benefits to antennas, radios, and output power. This is a good thing to have, but it does require a license, so it's nowhere near as flexible as FRS/GMRS, or CB. - If everyone I know and run with had a license, and a radio, this would be my preference.

All that said, considering what I stated above, FRS/GMRS is my choice for comms on the trail.

I currently run a 15w vehicle mount Midland GMRS, 3 handheld Midland FRS/GMR radios, and I'm hopefully going to be getting a 30-40w GMRS so that each Jeep has one. - This is obviously overkill for most. But most people don't run 2 rigs on the trail, and lead small groups occasionally.

I hope that helps a little...

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Great looking rig! How does it do offroad?
Thanks, it works great! I just have to remember what it was built for. It's not a rock crawler, or a mudder. It runs the backroads (in varying degrees of conditions), handles miid water crossings, and washed out roads really well.

Now that I've finally gotten the suspension figured out, It's actually nice to drive on the interstate as well! (gotta love IFS).