2006 Jeep Commander (XK) Build

• HTML tutorial

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Man, just noticed the engine post...That sucks. Glad you got it fixed and hopefully it lasts a long, long time.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I've always loved the Commanders. I own a WK (Limited, 4.7 V8) now as a daily driver. Does your XK get better mileage than the WK?
Somehow I missed this...

It's hard to say for sure, my WK was also my daily, my XK is not.

Post lift, pre bumper, it seemed to be similar. I was getting 15-17 on the interstate. I haven't had it on the interstate since. If I had to guess, I'd say I'll probably get 14-16 on the interstate with it now, after I put the rake back in.

I think the WK was getting between 16 and 18 on the interstate post lift with the front air dam on.

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

The OME springs didn't lift the back as much as they did the front, and as I added weight, I quickly saw that I had some issues. Even empty, it seemed to sit a little lower in the rear than the front.

This is with a partial load. (weekend trip)

I took the spacers from the original lift and put the rear spacers back in. It's got a a hefty rake. It seems to be about an inch, inch and a half higher in the rear than when it was just the RRO spacer lift.

I'll get more pictures when I get it loaded up for the next trip.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I needed to make a better spot for my dogs (or more gear) while making sure I still had the flexibility to use my seats. I was originally going to just make one piece, but then it was brought to my attention that it might be good to have access to one seat and a little added space at the same time.

I decided to notch out the middle section so that I could have easier access to all the... We'll call it "crap" that gets stashed there on various trips. It seems to be pretty solid, and it doesn't take much weight to keep it from tipping forward.

Next steps for this will likely be adding some tie down points like I have in the back, as well as some straps that will secure them a little better.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

In the end, it was pretty much exactly what it looks like. It pealed back, just enough to break the gasket a little and seep out some fluid.

Fortunately, I just had to pull off the cover, pound it flat and put it all back together. No damage to the front (see expensive) part of the casing.

The only place I can think that I would have done it was on the trip up to Gallagher Lake.

Now it's all better, and ready to get on the road next Saturday!

Reactions: murps

luchaDor

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

Hey @jdunk I joined the forums after seeing your youtube rig walkaround. I have an '08 Commander as was just about to order the rear bumper. TAG doesn't make them anymore, but WAM bumpers has their plans. (They're on FB.)

However, I'm concerned about your experience. Any additional details about what wasn't right with it? Did it fit properly?

Reactions: Pedretti8

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Hey @jdunk I joined the forums after seeing your youtube rig walkaround. I have an '08 Commander as was just about to order the rear bumper. TAG doesn't make them anymore, but WAM bumpers has their plans. (They're on FB.)

However, I'm concerned about your experience. Any additional details about what wasn't right with it? Did it fit properly?
I think the problems that I had with my bumper mostly had to do with the very poor craftsmanship of TAG. Everything was just a little... off. some things had to be forced into place, cut and redone. They were close, they were just a bit off.

The biggest thing that I would see transferring from TAG would be the locations for the backup sensors. They were spaced too far apart, and didn't line up with the OEM sensor wires.

I haven't done much research, but the little i've done says that if you try to extend the wires it won't work.

I aslo had to have the jerry can holder completely removed and redone. It was a basically the bottom part built out of angle iron. I don't know that I have any pictures of it, unfortunately. I'm sure the new company would be happy to show you pictures of how they do the jerry can holder

The core designs are sound. They look good, and have served me well in the time I've had them.

The front is strong, the recovery points have held up, and it has a great approach angle.

The rear is strong, holds a bunch of crap, and has had the weight of the fully loaded XK dropped on it.

Since the new company isn't in Georgia, where the last couple TAG (and what he was before) I would tend to believe that it is a new company.

Maybe ask them for a copy of the installation instructions before you order? If they can't provide them, you might want to be a little more cautious.

Like I said, once I got the issues worked out, they have served me well. I really do hope that WAM is (am I the only one that hears music when they read that?) a new company that stands behind their products. The XK is a great platform for overlanding, it just doesn't have the mod's available.

I hope this helps, at least a little. Sometimes I tend to wander too far away from the original question.

Oh, one last thing... It is seriously heavy. You will need to look at your suspension choices very carefully. I think there are some pictures of the issues that I had in the thread...?

Reactions: luchaDor

luchaDor

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

Yep, weight is a concern. I want to relocate the spare and add a 2" lift and level it out. However, this is my daily driver, so I have to keep it able to handle the commute and road trips (skiing in CO) comfortably. So I do have a slightly different goal in mind. I also have a QTII vs. your QDII, so not quite as capable.

I did specifically choose the 4.7L over the 5.7L, for a couple of reasons, but I mainly wanted an engine that would be tolerant of ethanol. The 4.7L can run E85, so even the new E15 fuels are fine for it. Being that I'm in the midwest, corn production & E85 use is a mainstream thing here.

I'll talk to Wam. I've talked to 2 guys who've put on their bumpers and have had no issues.

(I don't hear George Micheal singing when I type Wam...only b/c they were "Wham!" (the exclamation point is important.).. :D )

I'll look for the photos of your bumper issues tonight. Thanks!

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I don't know that I have any pictures of the actual issues. The suspension issues that I had is that with a "leveling" lift kit, even with the monster on the front, I was lower in the rear.

Reactions: Michael

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Being in the PNW, I shouldn't have left my tent on as long as I did. But between work, and... well the incessant rain we've had since I got back from OTG, I haven't been able to get the damn thing off....

I should have tried harder.

Anyway... Dry day, working from home, I took the 20 minutes to get it off the roof and into the garage so that it could air out. Yes, you can imagine, no, it's not as bad as it could be (Mold)

A little bit physics, a little bit desperation.

The tent is in the garage.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I finished up the Frontrunner Outfitters roof rack this weekend, and I got all the lights mounted back on the Jeep!

Parts list:
  • Slimline II Tray - 1345mm x 2166mm (SKU: RRSTG11) - Qty: 1
    • This is the rack itself
  • Foot Set / 70mm (SKU: FASS005) - Qty: 4
    • This is the 8 feet that mount the rack to the rail
    • This will require you to line up the OEM mounting points, and drill holes through the rails
  • Universal Track - 1800mm (SKU: TRAC003) - Qty: 1
    • These tracks replace the factory rails. It may have been possible to use different feet and the OEM rail kit.
  • Between Slat Foot Adapter (SKU: RRAC021) - Qty: 2
    • I did not use these for their intended use. These are the brackets that hold my front 3 LED lights level with the rack.

I think I need to work on "focus" though...

Last edited:

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I'd love to see more photos 'up top' of the rack itself, how it mounted, etc when you get a chance!
I tried to get video and pictures as I put it together.

But as it goes for most of my video projects, there were long stretches that I forgot to film.

I'm still going to try and get something together though!