Ocala, FL, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04IKI
Just an update. Roof rack is built and has been rhino lined but still at the shop.

Ordered my rear air locker but since I’ll be in there I have new axle and pinion seals and pinion bearing and the updated larger stub axle circlips to go it.

Took and passed my HAM Tech license so have a call sign now and have handhelds but may put in a mounted VHF/UHF radio to join my installed CB.

Also helped my buddy find a clean Gen 3 and help him start building that as well. I want him to join this group and get a build thread going.

I’ll add new pics soon. Cheers!

Attachments

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Looks great ! I know you'll enjoy it. For comparison here's what we did on ours:

· Dobinson’s heavy duty suspension with 50 mm lift
· Mile Marker Scout 8000 winch
· Safari Snorkel
· ARB transmission breather
· Custom-built roof rack with sand flag mount and rear light
· Sand flag
· UHF radio with front-mounted aerial
· Second spare wheel & tyre (6 all-terrain tyres on 6 alloy rims ) - standard rims, 265/65-17
· Extra fuel tanks on roof rack (100 L capacity, temporarily 120 L for the Simpson Desert)
· Built-in folding frame for bed with Americana de Colchones purpose-built mattress
· Fire extinguisher and mounting
· Storage system below bed and bedside storage
· Dometic 35 L refrigerator/freezer
· Custom-built storage lockers on slides
· 44 L Frontrunner potable water tank
· Window covers with ventilation adjustment
· Mosquito nets for all windows and rear opening
· Leather map pockets for both front seats
· Camera storage system
· Side and rear awnings (Dobinson’s and ARB)
· Compressor
· Second (hydraulic) jack
· Rescue kit with tow slings, shackles
· ARB sand ladders (recovery rmaps) and shovel
· ARB Airlocker folding chairs
· Redcamp folding table

Reactions: Graeman

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Just an update. Roof rack is built and has been rhino lined but still at the shop.

Ordered my rear air locker but since I’ll be in there I have new axle and pinion seals and pinion bearing and the updated larger stub axle circlips to go it.

Took and passed my HAM Tech license so have a call sign now and have handhelds but may put in a mounted VHF/UHF radio to join my installed CB.

Also helped my buddy find a clean Gen 3 and help him start building that as well. I want him to join this group and get a build thread going.

I’ll add new pics soon. Cheers!
Your rig looks better and better with each posted picture! Good job, looks great!

DocMartin

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ocala, FL, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04IKI
Looks great ! I know you'll enjoy it. For comparison here's what we did on ours:

· Dobinson’s heavy duty suspension with 50 mm lift
· Mile Marker Scout 8000 winch
· Safari Snorkel
· ARB transmission breather
· Custom-built roof rack with sand flag mount and rear light
· Sand flag
· UHF radio with front-mounted aerial
· Second spare wheel & tyre (6 all-terrain tyres on 6 alloy rims ) - standard rims, 265/65-17
· Extra fuel tanks on roof rack (100 L capacity, temporarily 120 L for the Simpson Desert)
· Built-in folding frame for bed with Americana de Colchones purpose-built mattress
· Fire extinguisher and mounting
· Storage system below bed and bedside storage
· Dometic 35 L refrigerator/freezer
· Custom-built storage lockers on slides
· 44 L Frontrunner potable water tank
· Window covers with ventilation adjustment
· Mosquito nets for all windows and rear opening
· Leather map pockets for both front seats
· Camera storage system
· Side and rear awnings (Dobinson’s and ARB)
· Compressor
· Second (hydraulic) jack
· Rescue kit with tow slings, shackles
· ARB sand ladders (recovery rmaps) and shovel
· ARB Airlocker folding chairs
· Redcamp folding table
WOW! Love to see photos of this baby!

tturbocar

Rank I

Contributor III

new orleans la
First Name
Greg
Last Name
dela
Joe,
100% correct. So much bang for the buck with the Monty. I like the fact that I have the 3.5 with the manual locking center diff and not the electronic type system. The wife and I are excited. Sometimes I think she is more excited then me. LOL
love the build but question for you. how do you know it will have a manual locking diff? new to this and love the looks of the Montero just want to make sure i get the right one

DocMartin

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ocala, FL, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04IKI
Joe,
100% correct. So much bang for the buck with the Monty. I like the fact that I have the 3.5 with the manual locking center diff and not the electronic type system. The wife and I are excited. Sometimes I think she is more excited then me. LOL
love the build but question for you. how do you know it will have a manual locking diff? new to this and love the looks of the Montero just want to make sure i get the right one
On the gen 3s the 2001-2002 have manual center locking diff and limited slip rear diff. 2003-2006 have the electronic traction control like Land Rover but actually better with similar years compared.

DocMartin

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ocala, FL, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04IKI
UPDATE ON THE BUILD

I got an air locker installed on the rear so now have center and rear lockers. I ordered a torsen helical limited slip for the front which offers up to 80% lock. Full lock can break CVs in the front.

Finally got the roof rack installed. Installed my Omac cross bars first off. I got a high rated rack off Amazon and then had my local shop (buddy of mine) sand blast, seal screw holes and then LineX it so it would last. I then mounted the Yakima recovery board holders. It straps them in but also gives you the ability to lock them if needed. Nothing too fancy but seems to work well and is secure. I’ll add the shovel in the rear and the Rhino awning on the drivers side. I have 2 Plano 108qt lockable cases that will fit along with my Coleman instant tent up there.

After that I installed the external HAM radio antenna on the ARB bar. Last was the fire extinguisher mounted in the rear.

Attachments

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Amazing build that you have going on. Alanymarce what an awesome trip you made down under. Both vehicles look great.

Reactions: DocMartin