VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
Hey guys I’m looking to plan a 2 month trip starting February of 2022. My job will require to have gotten the vaccine by then and if not they are giving employees 60 days un paid time off to consider getting it. Not sure I want to get it but I will be taking the 60 days to consider it lol. I don’t want to this to turn into a vaccine thread so I’ll leave it at that. But I want to plan to head out west and was wondering what are some good areas to see and adventure during February and March taking weather into account. I will be heading out in my 2018 Tacoma with a four wheel camper. I want to do some winter camping but not like Montana winter camping lol. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Welcome, Scott. Kudos to you.

I would look heavily at NM, AZ and points farther west where the climes will be more hospitable.

Also, look at Padre Island National Seashore. I have a friend who has spent the last two winters literally on the beach of N. Padre Island in his Jeep and teardrop.

Reactions: VST

VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
Grab your National Parks pass for $80 and get you money's worth hitting every park in the southwest you can. Dont know if theres an entry fee at Smoky Mtns where you are but if you hit just 3 national parks, you make your $ back
Thanks no pass necessary here in the Smokey’s do The parks have free camping or do you have to reserve all your spots?

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Thanks no pass necessary here in the Smokey’s do The parks have free camping or do you have to reserve all your spots?
Most national parks do not have free camping. They usually have one or 2 nationally run campgrounds along with 1 or 2 private (KOA for example) campgrounds. The National Parks pass I mentioned will get you about 40% off of your stay at a national park's national campground.

We were in the Badlands in South Dakota back in May. We didnt reserve, but we got lucky when we simply rolled in. There were only 2 sites left.

VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
Been doing some more research and I’m thinking I’ll make a b-line straight to the New Mexico or Arizona area when the trip starts and begin there. From there I’m trying to decide if I want to head north through Utah Colorado area and up through Wyoming and Montana or if I want to continue west and make my way to Oregon. If anyone has any suggestions or routes that would be appreciated

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

60 days - Feb/Mar, in a Tacoma with a FWC. Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon, Flagstaff, South Rim of the Grand Canyon, west into Lost Wages, across the southern Sierra's to King's Canyon, Yosemite, Tahoe, Reno. There are 1000's of places to visit, hike, soak, take photos, avoid peoples -etc. From Reno head east to Winnemucca, north to Boise, visit the Sawtooths, Craters of the Moon, Teton's and Yellowstone. DcG

Reactions: NØMAD and VST

Badazzerus

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Gurley, AL, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Basalt Colorado is a great little town. It is close to glenwood springs. glenwood has a hot spring you can get in. If you fish. The Colorado river there has some of the biggest trout I’ve ever fought. I believe another state record was just caught 30+“. sounds like you got an epic adventure coming.

VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
Alright guys I think I've decided to just head straight to Oregon to do some exploring and sight seeing. Any recommendations on where to visit around the febuaury time frame would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: bryceCtravels

bryceCtravels

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Charleston, SC, USA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
Campbell
Alright guys I think I've decided to just head straight to Oregon to do some exploring and sight seeing. Any recommendations on where to visit around the febuaury time frame would be greatly appreciated.
Good luck man. Easiest way for me is plan first destination, everything after that just roll with it
Oregon
Crater Lake NP
Smiths Rock SP
Sahalie Falls
Tamolitch Blue
Mount Rainier
Multnomah Falls
Silver Falls SP
Oregon Dunes
Haystack Rock, but just cruise the coast and you’ll find a ton of stuff

Reactions: NØMAD and VST

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Check the road closures! Once the snow falls, places such as Crater Lake and Mt. Rainier close many of their roads. In fact, Crater Lake is currently reporting whiteout blizzard conditions with gusts up to 85 mph!
These roads typically don’t open fully until June/July. Not sure about Oregon, but CalTrans is a good resource for California road conditions.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
About the best place right now is along the coast… everything is snowed in this year… we just got hit with a huge snow fall, and more expected weekly until March. Even the southern desert has snow and ice.

Most places to go here in Oregon are closed during the winter months for snow machines and Nordic activities. Also new camping fees are in place starting yesterday… so check before you come out here.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

VST - seek out the Youtuber - Softroadingthewest, he just posted two videos on the Owyhee's and Alvord dessert. Lots of places in the west are covered with snow and ice. Getting into the National Parks, like Crater Lake are impossible in winter. There isn't an easy route to the Oregon Coast, but lots of camping. I'd start in California crossing the Golden Gate Bridge, Point Reyes, etc... DG

Reactions: VST and M Rose

BuffaloPhil

Rank IV

Influencer II

Jackson, WY, USA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Harrington
Member #

It's a good choice to avoid WY for a February trip. Weather can be trecherous, unpredictable, and lead to road closures, etc. Also Yellowstone and Grand Teton National parks are effectively closed to vehicle traffic except for very limited sections.