2 month trip starting February 2022 | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

2 month trip starting February 2022

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

VST

Rank I

Traveler I

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
Hey guys I’m looking to plan a 2 month trip starting February of 2022. My job will require to have gotten the vaccine by then and if not they are giving employees 60 days un paid time off to consider getting it. Not sure I want to get it but I will be taking the 60 days to consider it lol. I don’t want to this to turn into a vaccine thread so I’ll leave it at that. But I want to plan to head out west and was wondering what are some good areas to see and adventure during February and March taking weather into account. I will be heading out in my 2018 Tacoma with a four wheel camper. I want to do some winter camping but not like Montana winter camping lol. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Regional Director
Staff member
Expedition
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham Callsign
N1TEW
Welcome, Scott. Kudos to you.

I would look heavily at NM, AZ and points farther west where the climes will be more hospitable.

Also, look at Padre Island National Seashore. I have a friend who has spent the last two winters literally on the beach of N. Padre Island in his Jeep and teardrop.

Reactions: VST

ThundahBeagle

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Grab your National Parks pass for $80 and get you money's worth hitting every park in the southwest you can. Dont know if theres an entry fee at Smoky Mtns where you are but if you hit just 3 national parks, you make your $ back

Reactions: Neal A. Tew and VST

VST

Rank I

Traveler I

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
Grab your National Parks pass for $80 and get you money's worth hitting every park in the southwest you can. Dont know if theres an entry fee at Smoky Mtns where you are but if you hit just 3 national parks, you make your $ back
Thanks no pass necessary here in the Smokey’s do The parks have free camping or do you have to reserve all your spots?

ThundahBeagle

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Thanks no pass necessary here in the Smokey’s do The parks have free camping or do you have to reserve all your spots?
Most national parks do not have free camping. They usually have one or 2 nationally run campgrounds along with 1 or 2 private (KOA for example) campgrounds. The National Parks pass I mentioned will get you about 40% off of your stay at a national park's national campground.

We were in the Badlands in South Dakota back in May. We didnt reserve, but we got lucky when we simply rolled in. There were only 2 sites left.

VST

Rank I

Traveler I

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
Been doing some more research and I’m thinking I’ll make a b-line straight to the New Mexico or Arizona area when the trip starts and begin there. From there I’m trying to decide if I want to head north through Utah Colorado area and up through Wyoming and Montana or if I want to continue west and make my way to Oregon. If anyone has any suggestions or routes that would be appreciated

David C Gibbs

Rank VI
Adventure

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

60 days - Feb/Mar, in a Tacoma with a FWC. Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon, Flagstaff, South Rim of the Grand Canyon, west into Lost Wages, across the southern Sierra's to King's Canyon, Yosemite, Tahoe, Reno. There are 1000's of places to visit, hike, soak, take photos, avoid peoples -etc. From Reno head east to Winnemucca, north to Boise, visit the Sawtooths, Craters of the Moon, Teton's and Yellowstone. DcG

Reactions: n0mad and VST

Badazzerus

Rank I
Adventure

Member I

Gurley, AL, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Basalt Colorado is a great little town. It is close to glenwood springs. glenwood has a hot spring you can get in. If you fish. The Colorado river there has some of the biggest trout I’ve ever fought. I believe another state record was just caught 30+“. sounds like you got an epic adventure coming.