Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Here is a way to cook a meal using 2 different methods to cook or prepare the meal. 1 is by using the aluminum foil method, and the other by using a dutch oven. Cook time will depend on how hot the coals are, and your diligence to keep it from burning/charring. Amount of food servings will depend on how many mouths you want to feed, or if seconds will be served :grinning:...........adjust quantity below to suit. The Polaska can be sliced and put in with the other ingredients, as it is already cooked, and just needs a little time to flavor.

Ingredients:
A) 1 or 2 Red or yellow peppers (diced) or combo of both (or Green, if preferred)
B) 2 onions (sliced thin)
C) 4 sliced medium potatoes (thin)
D) 1 pound 'polaska' (sliced) or 4-5 Italian sausages. Slice after being cooked). Cook Italian sausage separate first before adding to cooked and combined ingredients.
E) Extra virgin oil or of your choice.
F) Seasoning of your choice. A sprinkling of chicken rub and/ or black pepper before setting on coals to cook is what I use. A little dried and shaken 'sage can also be used (shaken on).

Spray PAM on foil or inside of dutch oven to help with non-stick issues. Combine ingredients in a covered container, pour olive oil over the ingredients seal and gently shake until they are coated. If using the foil method, fold ends and sides to seal, cook 10-20 minutes until potatoes become tender. Combine with meat in a bowl and stir gently. SERVE
If using the Dutch Oven, I would cook the Sausage first! , then slice, then combine with the rest.....again using the bowl method for olive oil and coating the ingredients before seasoning to taste. Then place in coals approximately 10-12 minutes, remove, stir, and SERVE.. Cook time will depend on altitude and how much heat you use to cook with. Use oil coated container w/lid for left-overs, or clean for other preps.

I have found that I rarely have leftovers, and when I do, it is only enough for one.:hearteyes: Clean-up is pretty simple with either method, as you can put used foil in your trash, and the 'Dutch' can have some water used with heat to clean before it's next mission. I hope you like this simple meal with basically easy prep using a knife and spoon to stir.

Last edited:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i like the foil method. the wife and i usually take the camp trailer and base camp with it and then go out exploring with the truck and return late in the evening. once in a while we end up a ways from base and decide to spend the night in the truck. for those times i like the idea of using the foil and a camp fire...that eliminates a camp stove, LP tank, pots, pans, water to clean, soap, etc. just start a fire and wrap the meat and veggies in foil and let it cook. eat out of the foil and toss it when done. all i need is some foil and i already have my trusted SPORK in the glovebox....:grinning:

Reactions: Desert Runner

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
i like the foil method. the wife and i usually take the camp trailer and base camp with it and then go out exploring with the truck and return late in the evening. once in a while we end up a ways from base and decide to spend the night in the truck. for those times i like the idea of using the foil and a camp fire...that eliminates a camp stove, LP tank, pots, pans, water to clean, soap, etc. just start a fire and wrap the meat and veggies in foil and let it cook. eat out of the foil and toss it when done. all i need is some foil and i already have my trusted SPORK in the glovebox....:grinning:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking, ...........mmm........................For you, substitute your flavor choice of SPAM :hearteyes:..... in place of the meat choices I put in the recipe. Instead of just dicing it up, first do that, then fry it until crispy. Then add it to the veggies to absorb their juices and to keep it from becoming too 'mushy'.

Let us know how it works out. Personally, my Spam intake is geared more for breakfast, then lunch or dinner. As a side note, That has been a great and entertaining OP of yours.:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:
OBLogo-Gold_Outlined_100x.png
(MY New Instagram : desertrunner_lv)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i would definitely do this cooking on coals and get a piece of foil and fold it over a couple of times and make a 'boat' out of the foil and add the SPAM pieces and get a bit of a sear and then add veggies. The cool thing is that the veggies I'd take wouldn't even need refridgeration... I'd take a few mushrooms, bell pepper, crook neck squash, cherry tomatos, etc and then add in the boat with the SPAM. I know Uncle Ben's has pouches of cooked rice that just need to be heated in the microwave. Open a pouch and put on a piece of foil and twist it up to seal it and stick on the perimeter coals where its not so hot. Once done, add some rice to the SPAM and veggies and that is a pretty damn good meal with nothing that needed to be refridgerated and the only thing you need is foil to cook and a spoon or fork to eat. THAT'S a great way to cook when backpacking or going super light. I'm a giant fan of SPAM because I can toss a can anywhere and it doesn't have to be refridgerated and it is extremely versatile....

Your foil method is pretty good. When I was stationed in Groton, CT back in the 80's...I'd solo backpack all over the New England states and I always took pototoes and veggies, etc and wrap in foil and put in my backpack. At night, I'd make a fire and then throw a foil wrapped potato and some veggies in the coals and have a great meal. I used foil a lot and only used a pot for coffee or beans.

Reactions: Desert Runner