Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

Me and my wife are just starting trip planning To overland up to Alaska and though the Yukon from Oregon and wanting input on route ideas and things to see when we go. We definitely want to get remote but will he traveling with my parents and they will have a 4wheel drive with a camper and I will have my Rig so no crazy off-roading but trails and dirt roads are probably fine. Just want awesome stuff to see and a fun experience.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Went up to the Yukon and Northwest Territories last year all the way to Tuktoyaktuk, dipping my feet into the Arctic Ocean. Was gone for 3 weeks leaving from Vancouver, WA. Here is a link to my blog post with all my trip info Day 1 – The first push from Vancouver, WA
If you have any questions please message me and I'll try to help as best I can. It was a wonderful time on the 3 week adventure. Enjoy.

Reactions: Oregon_trail

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

We drove North to Tuk in July of 2018 and it was a most memorable experience. The South Canol Road is an absolute must, it was one of the most enjoyable sections and easily the most desolate road we drove on our entire adventure. I also really preferred the Cassiar Hwy over the Alaska Hwy, but it makes some sense to go up one way and back down the other. If time permits, a side trip to Stewart/Hyder and the Salmon Glacier while on the Cassiar Hwy is always worth checking out. I'd suggest spending a couple days in Dawson City, just park and play tourist. We camped in the campground right in town, and it allowed us to just walk around everywhere. Take an extra case of bottled water along, and offer it up to the cyclists you pass by while on The Dempster. We even ran into one poor guy who cycling who seriously under-estimated the water he required.
I'd also say to really take your time, drive slow, and enjoy the sights along the way. I found that even after 3 weeks, our trip was over before we knew it, and I wished I'd spent a little more time just smelling the roses. Oh yeah, and get a copy of The Bible.... I mean The Milepost. It's worth it 's weight in gold.
Enjoy.

thumbnail_20180702_133747.jpg

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

We drove North to Tuk in July of 2018 and it was a most memorable experience. The South Canol Road is an absolute must, it was one of the most enjoyable sections and easily the most desolate road we drove on our entire adventure. I also really preferred the Cassiar Hwy over the Alaska Hwy, but it makes some sense to go up one way and back down the other. If time permits, a side trip to Stewart/Hyder and the Salmon Glacier while on the Cassiar Hwy is always worth checking out. I'd suggest spending a couple days in Dawson City, just park and play tourist. We camped in the campground right in town, and it allowed us to just walk around everywhere. Take an extra case of bottled water along, and offer it up to the cyclists you pass by while on The Dempster. We even ran into one poor guy who cycling who seriously under-estimated the water he required.
I'd also say to really take your time, drive slow, and enjoy the sights along the way. I found that even after 3 weeks, our trip was over before we knew it, and I wished I'd spent a little more time just smelling the roses. Oh yeah, and get a copy of The Bible.... I mean The Milepost. It's worth it 's weight in gold.
Enjoy.

View attachment 168851
Appreciate the advice man! So right now I’m at least planning on spending a month on this trip but maybe longer. I’m still in the early stages or planning and still looking iver routs. I’ve debated reaching the attic either at TUK or Deadhorse Alaska. I’m in Oregon so I have a days drive to the border and that’s the short part of the trip lol.

Reactions: trikebubble

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I suppose you know that Tuktoyaktuk isn't in Alaska; it's not exactly on the way either, unless you plan a lengthy trip (in which case it'll be a lot of fun). You could either go to Tuktoyaktuk first, then return to Dawson City and on to Alaska, or vice versa, obviously.

If I were doing this I think I'd go via Whitehorse, Haines Junction, Anchorage, Homer, Deadhorse, Dawson City, Tuktoyaktuk, Dawson Creek, Banff, then back into Montana via Logan Pass and home again. That's about 13,000 Km so would take us about 11 weeks, however you could do all of this in 6 to 8 weeks. The obvious choice (as OP implies) is whether to go to Tuktoyaktuk and back, or to go to Deadhorse and back. The other option is to make the first part of the journey (and the last part returning) a straightforward A to B without stopping much. The Rockies can be left until another trip.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I'd suggest spending a couple days in Dawson City, just park and play tourist. We camped in the campground right in town, and it allowed us to just walk around everywhere.
I would suggest that, too. Did it some years ago while overlanding North America and it was great fun!

Reactions: Oregon_trail

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

I suppose you know that Tuktoyaktuk isn't in Alaska; it's not exactly on the way either, unless you plan a lengthy trip (in which case it'll be a lot of fun). You could either go to Tuktoyaktuk first, then return to Dawson City and on to Alaska, or vice versa, obviously.

If I were doing this I think I'd go via Whitehorse, Haines Junction, Anchorage, Homer, Deadhorse, Dawson City, Tuktoyaktuk, Dawson Creek, Banff, then back into Montana via Logan Pass and home again. That's about 13,000 Km so would take us about 11 weeks, however you could do all of this in 6 to 8 weeks. The obvious choice (as OP implies) is whether to go to Tuktoyaktuk and back, or to go to Deadhorse and back. The other option is to make the first part of the journey (and the last part returning) a straightforward A to B without stopping much. The Rockies can be left until another trip.
I do know it’s not in Alaska but I would like to go. I have 6 weeks tips and will be travelikf with my wife and 2 kinds both under 2 plus my parents in there rig. I want to get to the Arctic so either deadhorse or tukttoyaktuk is what I’m thinking. Tuktoyaktuk and back down into Alaska is a little longer but I would get to see more of Canada but deadhorse I see more of Alaska with the time I have. I don’t see this being the last trip up north since I’m within a days drive of the border.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I do know it’s not in Alaska but I would like to go. I have 6 weeks tips and will be travelikf with my wife and 2 kinds both under 2 plus my parents in there rig. I want to get to the Arctic so either deadhorse or tukttoyaktuk is what I’m thinking. Tuktoyaktuk and back down into Alaska is a little longer but I would get to see more of Canada but deadhorse I see more of Alaska with the time I have. I don’t see this being the last trip up north since I’m within a days drive of the border.
I chose Tuk as our destination mainly because I am Canadian and wanted to first experience the Arctic from my own Country's perspective. I have no doubt we will eventually return North, and then the Dalton Hwy will be on our destination list. In speaking with people who have done both Arctic Ocean routes, the preference from purely a route itself perspective seems to favor the Dempster Hwy. Each person may have their own reasoning for choosing one over the other (if the choice has to be made), I am under the impression that The Dempster route provides more freedom once you reach the Arctic (we were able to drive right to the Beaufort Sea in Tuk and camp literally within 10 feet of the water), as well as experiencing real life along the way (Inuvik, Fort McPherson, Tuk, etc). Having said that I would really like to see DeadHorse and the working of the oil industry there as well. I guess at the end of the day life could be far worse than having to decide which amazing route to travel first, and which second.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
So, I suggest leaving Banff, Jasper, and Rocky Mountain BC until another trip, as well as Vancouver Island, the Sunshine Coast, and more of Canada within a day or two's drive of the border. So, you could potentially (in 6 weeks) head efficiently to Dawson City and then you could get to Tuktoyaktuk in 3 days, returning and then heading into Alaska to Deadhorse. There's a lot to see in Yukon and also Alaska, however if your focus is the Arctic you'll have limited time. Heading back would be another efficient B to A trip,

Reactions: El-Dracho

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
...In speaking with people who have done both Arctic Ocean routes, the preference from purely a route itself perspective seems to favor the Dempster Hwy. Each person may have their own reasoning for choosing one over the other (if the choice has to be made), I am under the impression that The Dempster route provides more freedom once you reach the Arctic (we were able to drive right to the Beaufort Sea in Tuk and camp literally within 10 feet of the water), as well as experiencing real life along the way (Inuvik, Fort McPherson, Tuk, etc). ...
Good point re the Arctic Ocean - Deadhorse is further from the sea.

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

I chose Tuk as our destination mainly because I am Canadian and wanted to first experience the Arctic from my own Country's perspective. I have no doubt we will eventually return North, and then the Dalton Hwy will be on our destination list. In speaking with people who have done both Arctic Ocean routes, the preference from purely a route itself perspective seems to favor the Dempster Hwy. Each person may have their own reasoning for choosing one over the other (if the choice has to be made), I am under the impression that The Dempster route provides more freedom once you reach the Arctic (we were able to drive right to the Beaufort Sea in Tuk and camp literally within 10 feet of the water), as well as experiencing real life along the way (Inuvik, Fort McPherson, Tuk, etc). Having said that I would really like to see DeadHorse and the working of the oil industry there as well. I guess at the end of the day life could be far worse than having to decide which amazing route to travel first, and which second.
Hahah it really could be worse. I mean I don’t personally know anyone that has been to the Arctic and I’m very glad I can make the trip. Granted it will be the first long distance overland trip I’ve taken.

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

So, I suggest leaving Banff, Jasper, and Rocky Mountain BC until another trip, as well as Vancouver Island, the Sunshine Coast, and more of Canada within a day or two's drive of the border. So, you could potentially (in 6 weeks) head efficiently to Dawson City and then you could get to Tuktoyaktuk in 3 days, returning and then heading into Alaska to Deadhorse. There's a lot to see in Yukon and also Alaska, however if your focus is the Arctic you'll have limited time. Heading back would be another efficient B to A trip,
My goal is the see the Arctic yes but not necessarily to see it in both Canada and the US I also want to see some glaciers as well as find cool places to camp. I lean twards going to deadhorse and staying mainly in Alaska then another trip get up to tuktoyaktuk.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Hahah it really could be worse. I mean I don’t personally know anyone that has been to the Arctic and I’m very glad I can make the trip. Granted it will be the first long distance overland trip I’ve taken.

I've spent my entire 51 years living here in BC, and it was only in 2018 that I made the effort ot venture further north than Prince George. I was blown away by the Yukon and everywehre North of there we ventured. i can see the appeal to that part of the world, whether it's the Yukon, NWT, or Alaska. I can't wait to be in a life position that allows me far more time to meander around the North, and especially spend some time in Alaska. Enjoy the trip.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Hmm - for glaciars forget Tuktoyaktuk, and Deadhorse come to that. Both are in very flat tundra. You'll find glaciers in the Rockies. One of the best options is between Banff and Jasper, where you can get onto the glacier fairly easily. There are also glaciers in the USA's Rockies, and in Alaska, on the way north from Fairbanks.

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

I've spent my entire 51 years living here in BC, and it was only in 2018 that I made the effort ot venture further north than Prince George. I was blown away by the Yukon and everywehre North of there we ventured. i can see the appeal to that part of the world, whether it's the Yukon, NWT, or Alaska. I can't wait to be in a life position that allows me far more time to meander around the North, and especially spend some time in Alaska. Enjoy the trip.
Yeah I’m only 27 and I really didn’t have a huge desire to venture very far until I started watching wolf of expedition overlands videos then getting into a rig I love building it out now I want to be gone every weekend and thankfully I work for myself so saving money is all that stops me from taking a month or more off

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

Hmm - for glaciars forget Tuktoyaktuk, and Deadhorse come to that. Both are in very flat tundra. You'll find glaciers in the Rockies. One of the best options is between Banff and Jasper, where you can get onto the glacier fairly easily. There are also glaciers in the USA's Rockies, and in Alaska, on the way north from Fairbanks.
Well my goal will be to see both on this trip. Basically go up to deadhorse then down to north the southern coats of Alaska. Anyways that has been my rough idea but it doesn’t leave a lot of time in Yukon. Granted I could do a lot of driving and see everything in 6 weeks but my family won’t enjoy it like I would I’m sure.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
A good point - far too easy to spend all of your time on the road. We assume 170 Km/day overall. Perhaps best to head straight through to Deadhorse, which would take us 27 days, but you could do in about 8-10 days if you go for it, then come back slowly, seeing the sights, which would take about 3 weeks or so.

Adding on time in Southern Alaska (the bits you can reach by road) will add on 2-4 weeks.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
My goal is the see the Arctic yes but not necessarily to see it in both Canada and the US I also want to see some glaciers as well as find cool places to camp. I lean twards going to deadhorse and staying mainly in Alaska then another trip get up to tuktoyaktuk.
I've heard that you can not get to the Arctic Ocean by driving at Deadhorse, you need to take a bus tour as it is on Oil Company land. With the Tuk road just opening in 2018 and being able to park right on the water made my decision to go up in Canada. In Hyder, Alaska I saw a great glacier, the Salmon Glacier. UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_45c.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_439.jpg

Watched Lifestyle Overland's trip up there, it's on their YouTube channel and also X Overlands trip on YouTube.