Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
What is your primary carry jack? Floor/bottle/hi-lift?

I seen plenty of high$$ jacks and several Budget jacks, curious what you all carry and do you have a lift?

My jeep has a 2.5" lift and I got a 20ton bottle jack and a couple 2x10's I use. My Sequoia has a 3" lift and am buying another bottle jack I do believe but figured I would ask, always learning from your guys experiences.....

Jim

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The one it came with.

The screw jack it came with fits under the axle so lifts don't affect it and mine on my Wrangler lifts high enough to change 35s without any silly 2x10s to destabilize it.
Plus since payload is always an issue.... it is the lightest jack made and fits under the seat.... and its free.

If you live in a winter climate the last thing you want is a jack with thick oil in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: danbrown

RustyGoldz

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Magna, Utah
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Walters
HF Floor jack for my lifted 05 Sierra. But considering bottle jack and accessories for it when out of trail. Interested to see what others are using.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
The one it came with.

The screw jack it came with fits under the axle so lifts don't affect it and mine on my Wrangler lifts high enough to change 35s without any silly 2x10s to destabilize it.
Plus since payload is always an issue.... it is the lightest jack made and fits under the seat.... and its free.

If you live in a winter climate the last thing you want is a jack with thick oil in it.
Hmm now you got me thinking about stock ones.... Oh and the 2x10's also stop "sinking" in some spots....

Jim

Last edited:

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

I use a 20 ton bottle jack. Super compact, easy to maneuver at weird angles and works on everything from UTV’s to F450 dually’s; yup, we had too. I do recommend a good base, I use a maxtraxx mini base, for mud and sand. And like @Billiebob said, a few pieces of wood, I got 2x 2x4” blocks.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i've used the farm jack (hi-lift) for many years in construction work....pulling posts, lifting beams and they make a great spreader if a metal door frame got tweaked, etc. i really wanted to be able to use the hi-lift with my truck, but i find that it wants to tilt forward real bad when under load. i'm not ruling out user error and i'm sure other folk have great luck using them....i don't, so that has me using a bottle jack most times when lifting an auto. i recently bought a toyota tundra and used the screw jack that came with it. i like the screw jack. @Billiebob made a great point of a screw jack in cold weather versus the hydraulic bottle jack. cold weather isn't an issue where i live, but i do like the rotating action of the screw jack, especially in tight quarters where having room to pump a bottle jack may be limiting. i carry a bottle and the stock screw jack, so i have either option as well as redundancy

the screw jack stows behind the rear seat and is hard to get at when the rear seat is full of stuff...which is all the time. so mainly out of speed and laziness i just go with the bottle jack

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
20 ton hydraulic bottle jack and the factory bottle type screw jack. I made an adapter to hold the axle and carry a plate for soft sand. As for factory jacks, only if its the bottle style. I've had one scissor jack fold on me when I used it and have seen several more do the same over my life time. I will never use one of those unless I have no choice.
Most of my life I carried a Hi Lift. Decades of that and I can count on one hand how many times I used it. Even though I had it, I still did tire changes with the bottle jack. The bottle jack has also been used as a porta power to bend things back into shape.

There's a bunch of real cool jacks out there, some are over $500. I off road and remote camp regularly in all kinds of places and have my whole life. If there's a "useful" fancy piece of kit out there that will make my life better, I probably own it and use the crap out of it. So far its still bottle jacks.

ButcherShop

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Eastvale, California, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Butcher
Member #

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I prefer using a Safe Jack. The kit comes with a bunch of adpaters and things to raise it's height and fit on frame rails or other things. I kinda wish it was a double piston so it would go even higher, but it works well enough for my LR4.

1639275969954.png

Reactions: Advtres and Jim SoG

JeepingMike

Rank V

Advocate II

Greencastle, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran
At home I have a Pittsburgh/Harbor Freight floor jack. On the road I have a Safe Jack kit in the ammo can.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have bottle jacks 20 ton and a bottle jack 10ton stand combo. I do have a 4" extender that a friend made for me.

Reactions: KAIONE

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Carry 2 bottle jacks 10 ton and a little 3 ton (I think) along with the factory jack and a High lift. Love the versatility of the bottle jacks. The small one is for trailside repairs, ie. pushing bent parts back into shape, never use the factory jack, but its tucked away so just left it (need the handle to get the spare down on the Ram anyway. Have always hauled a high lift as it is so versatile (as long as you have bumpers or rails that will allow its use) just the ability to lift a rig up off a big rock and push it sideways is handy. Just have to remember to give it the respect it deserves or it will bite you hard though... Thinking of replacing it with the ARB Jack, lighter and more controlled.. Well once I can justify an extra 800 bucks anyway..

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
I carry the stock Toyota Jack and a small floor jack with 6 2X6s that fit under it perfectly incase I need to raise it some.