Yellowstone in August

• HTML tutorial

Robbie G

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary AB Canada
Member #

Well this summer we are leaving the RV at home and throwing a tent into the jeep. Our goal is to spend a few days in Yellowstone, The wife and I spent one day there back in 2013 and we have always wanted to go back, this year is the year.

Any ideas of what to do around Yellowstone or on the way? We are coming from Calgary AB. What “Must Sees” Epic Camp Sites” that sorta stuff? I have very little experience in that direction and want to see if anyone has recommendations?

Thanks for all the help!

OVRLNDER

US East Region Member Rep, NY
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orchard Park, NY, USA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Pigeon
Member #

The cabin in Jackson Hole. There is a dirt road to it that any vehicle can take but when we (wife and I) went we found the trail that leads to it. Also when you enter Yellowstone or the Grand Tetons ask the ranger for places to visit. There are other trails/ dirt road all around yellowstone and the grand tetons. Near Jacksone Hole they have a huge elk preserve you should check out too. Also if you want to have some fun and like shooting, you should check out Jackson Hole Shooting Experience ~ Things To Do In Jackson Hole? Call now while space is available to book The Most Fun Things to Do In Jackson Hole!. Me and the wife had an awesome time.

Attachments

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Robbie,
With all of Eastern BC in your backyard... I know - it's not Yellowstone. We spent time in Calgary, Banff & Jasper last Fall. What a lovely city. So a trip due South on 2, gets you to the Border Crossing at Carway. Here's a choice moment. Do you want to camp at Many Glaciers or at St. Mary's -or- Push on going up "To the Sun Road" with plans of crashing either in West Glacier, or Upper Flathead Lake. Be aware the Road from St. Marys around to Kiowa, around to Essex is being re-built. Killed 4 hours waiting for pilot vehicles.

From 2, to Lethbridge you could take 4, crossing the border at Coutts/Sweetgrass - then take I-15 south to Butte, and I-90 East to Livingston. Entering Yellowstone from the Top at Gardiner. We've spent weeks in Yellowstone. Each trip always uncovers something new. Since you're making this trip, the drive down to Jackson Hole, through the Grand Tetons is worth the time for your planning.

Let me know how I can assist. There's a lot to see and do in the greater Yellowstone ecosystem.
David

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

The cabin in Jackson Hole. There is a dirt road to it that any vehicle can take but when we (wife and I) went we found the trail that leads to it. Also when you enter Yellowstone or the Grand Tetons ask the ranger for places to visit. There are other trails/ dirt road all around yellowstone and the grand tetons. Near Jacksone Hole they have a huge elk preserve you should check out too. Also if you want to have some fun and like shooting, you should check out Jackson Hole Shooting Experience ~ Things To Do In Jackson Hole? Call now while space is available to book The Most Fun Things to Do In Jackson Hole!. Me and the wife had an awesome time.
That Barn is one of the Moulton Ranch structures that is on Morman Row, East off of Antelope Junction, across from Dornan's (a great Wine Shop & Restaurant). It' is one of the most photographed Barns in the western US. It was published on the Centennial Poster celebrating Wyoming's first 100' years. Which hangs in our livingroom.
DG

Reactions: OVRLNDER

OVRLNDER

US East Region Member Rep, NY
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orchard Park, NY, USA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Pigeon
Member #

That Barn is one of the Moulton Ranch structures that is on Morman Row, East off of Antelope Junction, across from Dornan's (a great Wine Shop & Restaurant). It' is one of the most photographed Barns in the western US. It was published on the Centennial Poster celebrating Wyoming's first 100' years. Which hangs in our livingroom.
DG
You are so right and when I took that picture I didn't know most of the history that I know now. Plus that picture won me first place at the Erie County Fair (One of the largest county fairs in the USA).

gburleson

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Knoxville, TN.
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Burleson
Member #

Thanks for all of the info. I will also be there in August for 10 days then up to Glacier for a few days then heading home will swing by the Badlands.

Robbie G

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary AB Canada
Member #

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the ideas, I defiantly want to go see the cabin, I am thinking from Calgary I would head to Yellowstone, then maybe head up towards Flathead Lake…. (can the little guy swim in that lake or is it too cold?) and finish off in Glacier / Waterton Park. I am pretty excited and think it will be a good two weeks.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I spent two months in YS 2018. Here are my recommendations:

Pick up Bear Spray off Amazon before you go. I think its important and the Forest Service will scare you into having it but charge you 2x+ to rent or buy it from inside the park. Do not bring plastic bottles. You'll get the stink eye from staff. Easy to find water filling stations for Yeti's and such.

ALWAYS drive the speed limit. Animals are everywhere and the FS will pull you over for 3mph over. At the gas station in Canyon there were 3-4 vehicles towed there after hitting a large animal. Not good.

Visit the ranger station in Gardiner (which is easiest to access from Alberta. Far less busy than the West entrance (tourist hell). Ask about road closures and alternatives first. They change weekly. Construction, wolves, weather. Grab a paper map. Trust me. Cell and GPS service is minimal. East entrance has bighorn sheep and Cody, Wyoming with some western history, but that's about it.

Check the Forest Fire Report every day. Each campground has them. Ranger stations at the major areas are a terrific resource for where animals are, fire report, travel time, closures. Views get obstructed by smoke and roads close regularly especially ay Glacier. In 9 weeks, I never saw the Milky Way. Smoke was omnipresent. Glacier closed early Sept due to fires. The entire park.

If you want some peace and to avoid most travelers, be up before dawn and on the road to your destination. Majority of douchey tourists sleep in, grab breakfast and hit the road around 10am. If the map says 45 mins t your destination, double it. Bison jams are real and regular. The #tourons (tourist morons, a term used by the YS IG social team) are countless. Stopping in the middle of the road for a selfie with bison is aggravating.

PLEASE PICK UP hitchhikers. Seasonal park staff is encouraged to hitchhike on days off to see the park. Few domestic and none of the international staff have cars and Xtera, their employer encourages it daily. They all bus into Gardiner and then to their workplace. I met countless people from all over the world. Some speak zero english, only hello, their destination and thank you. Great experiences. I always had stickers of Texas I handed out to intl people. They loved it. " OOOHHH TEXAS??? OOHHHH!!!

So much to see. Pick the important things and learn where they are. For animals Bison are always within 10 minutes of Canyon in Hayden Valley. Great campground. August should allow you to see every animal nearby except wolves and moose. Black and grizzly bear, bison, elk, coyotes, red/gray fox, pronghorn, bald and golden eagles, osprey, falcon, swans, otter, beaver, and more.

For wolves and countless bison, and usually bear head to Lamar Valley. If you see someone with a tripod and scouting scope, stop. People are friendly and want to share with you what they found. Moose are scarce in summer and are usually heading towards Jackson Hole where they winter.

My favorite part of the park was the NE entrance. 15 mins outside the NE entrance is Cook City. It is an amazing little town with good food (except the big hotel in the center of town). From there spend the day going to Red Lodge via Beartooth Pass. Easily it is my favorite road I have ever driven. At 11k', its stunning. Drop into Red Lodge, stay the night. Its a very dark and long drive back. I camped at the top of the pass. Woke up to 14°F and snow. A grizzly bear nearly killed two guys two days after I was there less than a mile from where I camped. On the way back rams and bighorn sheep can be seen in the mountains above Lamar Valley.

The big must see stops like Mammoth Falls, Old Faithful, Yellowstone lake... I saw when I got around to it. Endless traffic sucks. Avoid it by going early and late. Pussy tourist don't want to miss their meals.

Speaking of meals... Gardiner has some great restaurants and supplies. Do not attempt to eat at Old Faithful, Canyon, YS Lake, Mammoth at 9, noon or 6. Monumental waste of time for subpar/premium priced food.

For camping, make a plan for travel and make reservations soon. Camping is available but first come (in person), first served. Weekends close by 8am. Do not travel on a holiday weekend. Between Lamar Valley and Cook City there are lotd of semi and primitive campgrounds that seemed less full thanthrough the major touristy parts. Lots of peace and quiet out there.

Last edited:

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Thermals everywhere
Bison jam
Vigo Mortenson has a ranch in the Gardiner area
Elk about 50' from my camp
Black bear and cubs off the hwy near Canyon. F-ing #tourons scared them away trying to get too close

Attachments

Last edited:

Robbie G

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary AB Canada
Member #

Pick up Bear Spray off Amazon before you go. I think its important and the Forest Service will scare you into having it but charge you 2x+ to rent or buy it from inside the park. Do not bring plastic bottles. You'll get the stink eye from staff. Easy to find water filling stations for Yeti's and such.

ALWAYS drive the speed limit. Animals are everywhere and the FS will pull you over for 3mph over. At the gas station in Canyon there were 3-4 vehicles towed there after hitting a large animal. Not good.

Visit the ranger station in Gardiner (which is easiest to access from Alberta. Far less busy than the West entrance (tourist hell). Ask about road closures and alternatives first. They change weekly. Construction, wolves, weather. Grab a paper map. Trust me. Cell and GPS service is minimal. East entrance has bighorn sheep and Cody, Wyoming with some western history, but that's about it.

Check the Forest Fire Report every day. Each campground has them. Ranger stations at the major areas are a terrific resource for where animals are, fire report, travel time, closures. Views get obstructed by smoke and roads close regularly especially ay Glacier. In 9 weeks, I never saw the Milky Way. Smoke was omnipresent. Glacier closed early Sept due to fires. The entire park.

If you want some peace and to avoid most travelers, be up before dawn and on the road to your destination. Majority of douchey tourists sleep in, grab breakfast and hit the road around 10am. If the map says 45 mins t your destination, double it. Bison jams are real and regular. The #tourons (tourist morons, a term used by the YS IG social team) are countless. Stopping in the middle of the road for a selfie with bison is aggravating.

PLEASE PICK UP hitchhikers. Seasonal park staff is encouraged to hitchhike on days off to see the park. Few domestic and none of the international staff have cars and Xtera, their employer encourages it daily. They all bus into Gardiner and then to their workplace. I met countless people from all over the world. Some speak zero english, only hello, their destination and thank you. Great experiences. I always had stickers of Texas I handed out to intl people. They loved it. " OOOHHH TEXAS??? OOHHHH!!!

So much to see. Pick the important things and learn where they are. For animals Bison are always within 10 minutes of Canyon in Hayden Valley. Great campground. August should allow you to see every animal nearby except wolves and moose. Black and grizzly bear, bison, elk, coyotes, red/gray fox, pronghorn, bald and golden eagles, osprey, falcon, swans, otter, beaver, and more.

For wolves and countless bison, and usually bear head to Lamar Valley. If you see someone with a tripod and scouting scope, stop. People are friendly and want to share with you what they found. Moose are scarce in summer and are usually heading towards Jackson Hole where they winter.

My favorite part of the park was the NE entrance. 15 mins outside the NE entrance is Cook City. It is an amazing little town with good food (except the big hotel in the center of town). From there spend the day going to Red Lodge via Beartooth Pass. Easily it is my favorite road I have ever driven. At 11k', its stunning. Drop into Red Lodge, stay the night. Its a very dark and long drive back. I camped at the top of the pass. Woke up to 14°F and snow. A grizzly bear nearly killed two guys two days after I was there less than a mile from where I camped. On the way back rams and bighorn sheep can be seen in the mountains above Lamar Valley.

The big must see stops like Mammoth Falls, Old Faithful, Yellowstone lake... I saw when I got around to it. Endless traffic sucks. Avoid it by going early and late. Pussy tourist don't want to miss their meals.

Speaking of meals... Gardiner has some great restaurants and supplies. Do not attempt to eat at Old Faithful, Canyon, YS Lake, Mammoth at 9, noon or 6. Monumental waste of time for subpar/premium priced food.

For camping, make a plan for travel and make reservations soon. Camping is available but first come (in person), first served. Weekends close by 8am. Do not travel on a holiday weekend. Between Lamar Valley and Cook City there are lotd of semi and primitive campgrounds that seemed less full thanthrough the major touristy parts. Lots of peace and quiet out there.
Thanks so much for the information!!

OverlandZJ

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Bristol,Pa
First Name
John
Last Name
Bellerby
Good input in this thread.. thanks. OP, thanks for starting it, was about to search here for tid bits.

Also planning an August visit, camp outside NE entrance, through YNP to GTNP. Camping and fishing in Bridger Teton NF is the main objective but I need to see more of the parks, then head south on 191 into Utah and eventually Colorado.

@Robby G and @gburelson enjoy your trips.. perhaps we'll cross paths.

Robbie G

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary AB Canada
Member #

Good input in this thread.. thanks. OP, thanks for starting it, was about to search here for tid bits.

Also planning an August visit, camp outside NE entrance, through YNP to GTNP. Camping and fishing in Bridger Teton NF is the main objective but I need to see more of the parks, then head south on 191 into Utah and eventually Colorado.

@Robby G and @gburelson enjoy your trips.. perhaps we'll cross paths.
Same to you guys. Have a good trip!

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
Watch the sun come up from the side of Signal Mountain in Grand Teton NP.

DSC_8356.JPG

Jenny Lake and Cascade Canyon / insperation point are fun hikes.

DSC_8460.JPG

Also on the souther end of GTNP is Phelps lake (probably spelled that wrong) Fun Hike with a nice lake. My 3 year old did the whole hike.

Reactions: Robbie G

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

ROBBIE thanks for starting this thread, because:

OUTDOORDOG and GRUBWORM, I plan to be in Montana early to mid October and want to check out Yellowstone sometime before or after the 10th.

USSTRONGMAN thank you so much for all of that information. I may not have a lot of time to spend there, but with this, I should be able to maximize the experience

Reactions: USStrongman

Norcalocal

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, ca
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Brodsky

Great info. Thanks for the beta. Planning a trip with my family late July.

tacoman

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Louisville, KY
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Great info. Thanks for the beta. Planning a trip with my family late July.
Thanks for the tips. So did you camp outside of the park the whole time? Seems like you would have stayed around on the NE side of the park then? Any recommendations on campgrounds - I prefer primitive and don't mind driving as long as it isn't much over an hour.