Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

So, 8 months after passing my Tech license I finally threw a chunk of change on my first mobile unit, the FTM-400DXR. It should arrive just in time for Christmas so I hope to have it up and running soon.

Here's the build:

Rig: Yaesu FTM-400XDR
Larsen Dual Band Antena: NMO-2/70B
Larsen Antenna Spring: SPRINGB
Diamond Roof Rack Mount: K515SNMO
Programming Software: ADMS-M400-U
Quick Reference Guide

I'm planning on mounting the unit under the drivers seat next to my external CB speaker. I'm hoping the onboard 3W speaker will be enough. Thoughts?

The control unit will mount alongside my tablet on a set of Ram Mount goodies.

Any other parts I'm missing? Really would like to get it all done in one day.

P.S. I'll have access to a watt meter once I make it to Tennessee in January.

Reactions: K6VCC

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
My radio is under my seat. Just make sure to clean under there. I would go external speaker. I have a diy mount that goes into the bars on my headrest. There are two speakers attached for my radios. Makes it easy to hear everything. Not familiar with the programming software. I use Chirp which is free. Many of the paid application have features I simply don't need.

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
Sweet choice, excited to see some pictures of your install. I run the basic FT-7900 and hope to bump up to this or the 8900 at some point.

Agreed on the external speaker piece - I doubt you'd be happy with that under the seat.

Only other item I may recommend (and you may have this covered from a CB perspective) is a way to check your SWR upon install.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Thanks for all the feedback! It was tempting to try and install it over Christmas, but my 3 year old needed help playing with her new My Little Ponies... so next weekend it is!
Ram Mounts should all be in tonight.

Reactions: KyleGrant

manofsteel408

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

San martin
Member #

Any update pics?? I just bought the same unit , and still trying to figure out where im gonna mount everything.

So, 8 months after passing my Tech license I finally threw a chunk of change on my first mobile unit, the FTM-400DXR. It should arrive just in time for Christmas so I hope to have it up and running soon.

Here's the build:

Rig: Yaesu FTM-400XDR
Larsen Dual Band Antena: NMO-2/70B
Larsen Antenna Spring: SPRINGB
Diamond Roof Rack Mount: K515SNMO
Programming Software: ADMS-M400-U
Quick Reference Guide

I'm planning on mounting the unit under the drivers seat next to my external CB speaker. I'm hoping the onboard 3W speaker will be enough. Thoughts?

The control unit will mount alongside my tablet on a set of Ram Mount goodies.

Any other parts I'm missing? Really would like to get it all done in one day.

P.S. I'll have access to a watt meter once I make it to Tennessee in January.
Mounting

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Any update pics?? I just bought the same unit , and still trying to figure out where im gonna mount everything.

Mounting
I can do one better, I have a video that shows my tablet / radio mounting solution here:

The unit is mounted under the driver's seat with the factory bracket and industrial Velcro stuck to the carpet. It's not budging! LOVE this unit... I need to do a review video soon.

manofsteel408

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

San martin
Member #

Oh man, you just saved me a lot of time! I usually hate copying people , but you know what they say "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" . Awesome video and awesome setup. Ordered everything on the part list, and now the waiting begins.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Oh man, you just saved me a lot of time! I usually hate copying people , but you know what they say "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" . Awesome video and awesome setup. Ordered everything on the part list, and now the waiting begins.
Glad we could help! Enjoy!

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Nice install....

Was surprised when I saw this picture:

Hobbs.... as in Hobbs, NM? frequency is correct for the K5INW repeater. Having spent half of my childhood in that little old oil field town it catches me off guard sometimes.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Nice install....

Was surprised when I saw this picture:

Hobbs.... as in Hobbs, NM? frequency is correct for the K5INW repeater. Having spent half of my childhood in that little old oil field town it catches me off guard sometimes.
Wow! Good eye! And yes we lived in Hobbs for 7 years before moving further west.

Reactions: Prerunner1982