Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
As far as electric under the passenger seat. They are heated seats and there is an airbag that comes out of the side of the seat. If you mean the wiring that crosses under the seat, then yes there must be a mile of factory wiring in
Again great write-up which helps others to install their HAM I guess! Thank you for that!

From these pictures it looks like that there is a lot of the rigs electric under the passenger seat anyway, right?
As far as electric under the passenger seat. They are heated seats and there is an airbag that comes out of the side of the seat. If you mean the wiring that crosses under the seat, then yes there must be a mile of factory wiring in this thing. Most of the space under the seat is taken up by the vent duct for the rear passengers feet.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
That is the AEV jack base. It is secured there with a rubber bungee. I have 37" tires so my Jack needs a little help with height.
Cool. Thanks for the explanation! I like that mounting position, easy to reach if needed and does not take space in some boxes or so.

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
So, the Antenna. I was trouble shooting with Mike Rose and the antenna leaves a little to be desired. I may try the COMPACtenna I previously mentioned. The little Bingful one will be fine on the trail, so who knows, I may not change it.

I put the soft top on and no issues.

IMG_0948.JPG

Same goes for the Hardtop.

IMG_0949.JPG

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
You should be jealous of the electric hoist I put in the garage attic for the hardtop

IMG_0567.JPG

Hoist.jpg

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Wow, the hoist system is cool! Also a good idea for roof top tents or so.

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
Yes. It is a 400 lb harbor freight wench.

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
Ok, update. The little antenna mounted high on the roll bar works for exactly what I wanted it for. So if you are looking for trail comms, cant really be the $30 price tag for the antenna and NMO mount from amazon.

I did a trail ride with some other OB members and the set up worked great.

Now, that said, When I was driving to the meetup, I was listening to a local repeater and could not hold it for long. So I bought the COMPACtenna and tried it. It didn't work much better. Remember, I thought I only wanted trail comms.

Well, I decided that I want a little more, so I ordered a comet SBB5 NMO, and moved the mount to the tailgate. (I also got a new NMO mount for the tailgate)

IMG_0969.JPG

Now the antenna sticks up above the top about 10".

IMG_0965.JPG
IMG_0966.JPG
IMG_0967.JPG

Note: I did try the COMPACtenna and the cheaper Amazon one on the tailgate mount while I was waiting for the Comet to get delivered. They performed worse than when on the rollbar inside the cab. And the SWR was horrible. (maybe because they were sandwiched between the tailgate and tire)

The SWR with the comet is great. the needle barely moves on my meter. This meter.

SWR meter.jpg

SWR Meter

Last edited:

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
When is your weekly net?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
When is your weekly net?
It’s a nightly Net at 7:00 pm... I host on Tuesday for a few more weeks then I will be switching to Saturdays. Just an FYI we also have an EchoLink node so you could join in at work ;)