Hillsboro, OR
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Arnesen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KU7PDX
If you were/are considering a FTM-400, I would definitely suggest looking at the FTM-300 instead. The only feature removal is the touch-screen (thus a smaller display), however it adds more features than what is available on the FTM-400.

Yaesu FTM-300DR

TexasLandman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Harrell
Member #

Thanks for the heads up. I lost out on the Kenwood I was wanting due to failure to commit and then they discontinued the line. I’ve had a Yaesu in my cart for months now… if I hadn’t have read this I’d probably have lost out on that one too. This gave me a reason to pull the trigger.

Reactions: DRAX

AdamFineFJ

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Been eyeing one for years but put it off because I didn't have my license.
Went down to my local HRO and ordered one this afternoon after seeing it was being discontinued. Now I REALLY have to take my exams since I'll be getting a shiny new radio.

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
Except for the goofy memory management I love my FTM-400, display is far better than my Icoms and radio works awesome
I couldn't agree more. The FTM-400 XDR was the pinnacle of 2m/440 FM mobile technology. Nothing will ever beat it, despite not being able to store a mode in memory. The APRS functionality is just top notch and the giant touch screen makes operating it mobile just so easy for us older folks with less-than-stellar eyesight.

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
Snagged my fourth 400 with this news and the $100 off at DX. Disappointed but intrigued to see what they come up with next.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Ham Radio Outlet had some but now they are not sure if they will get any more. I am sure you can find one for a good deal before they are all gone.

TexasLandman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Harrell
Member #

Thanks for the heads up. I lost out on the Kenwood I was wanting due to failure to commit and then they discontinued the line. I’ve had a Yaesu in my cart for months now… if I hadn’t have read this I’d probably have lost out on that one too. This gave me a reason to pull the trigger.
Mine arrived so I guess I need to nut it up and take my test lol

Reactions: NJRadioGuy

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I am bummed that they discontinued the 818 but not surprised. The superhet construction of it is dated and with SDRs dominating its performance lacks for sure. The 818 is also technically a Vertex Standard radio, NOT a Yaesu, and well during the whole Motorola merger malarkey Yaesu lost its connection to Vertex.

I am very glad I bought one instead of the IC705. In my opinion the 818 feels like a durable field radio, similar the Elecraft KXs or Lab599. I would have a very hard time taking an IC705 into the field...

Also looks like the 818 is out of stock at the big online outfits. Out of curiosity I searched EBay and the insanity has already started, saw one listed for $1300, lol.

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
The new FTM-500XDR was just announced today. Not sure what the specs will be on this, but it's disappointing that the screen size is this small and they've gotten rid of the discreet controls in favor of a menu-driven hierarchy. It will be available in March. I won't even consider it.

1675478891276.png

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
The new FTM-500XDR was just announced today. Not sure what the specs will be on this, but it's disappointing that the screen size is this small and they've gotten rid of the discreet controls in favor of a menu-driven hierarchy. It will be available in March. I won't even consider it.

View attachment 249432
Ugh, I hate the menus on most modern radios.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Visually, it is more oriented to the FTM-200 in my opinion. Anyway, I have a FTM-100 and there the operation / menu navigation is also not intuitive for me.

Found some more infos on the FTM-500 here:

Last edited:
Reactions: OkieDavid

Chris Arnesen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hillsboro, OR
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Arnesen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KU7PDX
Yaesu got rid of discrete controls on their mobile/handheld radios a long time ago. Fortunately it looks like the FTM-500 will have all the options the FTM-300 has with a nicer form factor and the front-firing speaker. I was in the market for a new mobile radio and had wanted the FTM-400, but was thinking I would have to settle for the FTM-300 as I didn't expect the new model to be announced until the Tokyo Ham Fair this Fall. Fortunately the FTM-500 is coming in March and I was able to get my preorder in with HRO!

Reactions: M Rose

TexasLandman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Harrell
Member #

Got my latest catalog in from DX. They have in the description of the FTM-500 that it is NOT a replacement of the 400. With that said I wonder when there will be a replacement?