Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
So I finally got my Icom set up in my Escape. Driving home last night I turned it on and hit scan, found a repeater and listened in. This morning going to work, I listened in again. Right now I have my Boafeng listening in. I had no idea how fun this whole thing would be. I honestly just decided to get my Technician just to be able to communicate on the trail and because a very good friend of mine gave me a bunch of old equipment. Now Im listening to the other hams in the area and learning quite a bit just by listening. I really had no idea how neat this whole ham thing would be.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
So I finally got my Icom set up in my Escape. Driving home last night I turned it on and hit scan, found a repeater and listened in. This morning going to work, I listened in again. Right now I have my Boafeng listening in. I had no idea how fun this whole thing would be. I honestly just decided to get my Technician just to be able to communicate on the trail and because a very good friend of mine gave me a bunch of old equipment. Now Im listening to the other hams in the area and learning quite a bit just by listening. I really had no idea how neat this whole ham thing would be.
Welcome to the fun. You’re already finding how much you can learn by listening. before you know it, you’ll be in there contributing to the mass knowledge.

Reactions: M Rose

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

See if any of the local ham clubs are doing Field Day (June 27-28), it's a 24hr widespread disaster/readiness drill where hams set up temporary stations and antennas using emergency power and try to make as many contacts as possible in 24hrs.
HF, VHF, CW, digital, satellites....fun stuff.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

It’s insanely addictive. Wait till you get in with a good rag chew group that sits up half the night. Glad to hear you’re having fun with it!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
See if any of the local ham clubs are doing Field Day (June 27-28), it's a 24hr widespread disaster/readiness drill where hams set up temporary stations and antennas using emergency power and try to make as many contacts as possible in 24hrs.
HF, VHF, CW, digital, satellites....fun stuff.
There is a club in Couer d’Aleen (sp) that is doing this, as well as the Grande Ronde Radio Amateurs here in La Grande.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I’ll be looking for you in the not so distant future.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I forgot:

This thread is worthless without pics! Show us how you installed it.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Still not quite done, I need to make a filler plate. But the Escape had this little cubby hole that I never really used in the center console, so I popped that out. When I did that my 12volt power point went with it, but since I never use my cigarette lighter I removed that (its up by the temperature control knob for the HVAC) and moved the 12volt power point up there.
For the antenna mount I scavenged an old hub odometer mounting bracket out of the scrap bin at work and modified it slightly. Im still not 100% on where its mounted, but that was the easiest spot. We will see if I decide to move it.
Running the cables was super easy. This body style of Escape still came with a manual transmission, so I just cut a small hole in the grommet where the hydraulic clutch normally mounted and ran everything through that. Then I just zip tied everything up to existing harnesses through the dash and down into the center console.
20200208_073842.jpg20200208_073919.jpg

20200208_073936.jpg

Last edited:

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Met up with WU7X ( member here and long time friend, and the guy who gave me my gear) to get the antenna tuned, I'm running about 1.4 SWR.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Met up with WU7X ( member here and long time friend, and the guy who gave me my gear) to get the antenna tuned, I'm running about 1.4 SWR.
That's honestly not bad for a mobile installation. I like how you were able to use the console and grommet holes.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
That’s a clean install buddy, can’t wait to see the trim ring done... it’s going to look amazing

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
That’s a clean set up. If you start running the lower bands you might enjoy skip as well.
DXing is loads of fun... i used to do it in the CB world when I was a kid, looking forward to DXing and FT8 when I get my unit.

MojaveGreen

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmdale, CA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE6SGE
It is fun. I was able to talk to a Harrier jump-jet pilot down in the Falkland Islands when England was battling Argentina and our own troops located in Afghanistan as some of my favorites. I hope to hear you out there.

Reactions: M Rose

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
Still not quite done, I need to make a filler plate. But the Escape had this little cubby hole that I never really used in the center console, so I popped that out. When I did that my 12volt power point went with it, but since I never use my cigarette lighter I removed that (its up by the temperature control knob for the HVAC) and moved the 12volt power point up there.
For the antenna mount I scavenged an old hub odometer mounting bracket out of the scrap bin at work and modified it slightly. Im still not 100% on where its mounted, but that was the easiest spot. We will see if I decide to move it.
Running the cables was super easy. This body style of Escape still came with a manual transmission, so I just cut a small hole in the grommet where the hydraulic clutch normally mounted and ran everything through that. Then I just zip tied everything up to existing harnesses through the dash and down into the center console.
View attachment 139021View attachment 139022

View attachment 139023
Nice job man! I like the homebrew approach you took. What radio is that?

Reactions: Dilldog