WTB: Patriot X1 or Turtleback Expedition for Jeep JKU.... Change my mind???

• HTML tutorial

PowPowHawg

Rank I

Contributor III

CA/AZ
First Name
Bran
Last Name
Bed
Member #

I think I’m about ready to pull the trigger on a camp trailer for my JKU and after much. Research I have settled on one of the two. turtleback or patriot.... If you or anyone knows anyone who has a lead on an X1 or Expedition please let me know. 5306246209

TDGarage

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Morgan Hill, CA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Detch
Member #

I own an X1H that I flipped doing 20mph. It was obviously my fault but it flipped too easily if you ask me. Before you decide think about what will happen if you damage the trailer. I was quoted $10K plus in repairs and months in duration because nothing is in stock in the US or in Australia. Everything has to be made and shipped. So take that into consideration.

PowPowHawg

Rank I

Contributor III

CA/AZ
First Name
Bran
Last Name
Bed
Member #

WOW ! Yeah that has slipped my mind in regards to purchase consideration. I hope you get yours up and running ASAP!

TDGarage

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Morgan Hill, CA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Detch
Member #

Well, I can tell you that I was able to repair my trailer with the help of a friend for nearly nothing. He repaired the fiberglass, pulled and straightened out the metal parts that were bent and out back some rivets that popped. From the original eyeball estimate by the dealer of months and $10k down to a week and $450 in materials plus his time.

Reactions: theMightyGoose

Willp_07

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, Ca
First Name
Will
Last Name
P
Member #

I purchased an early model of the Turtleback Expedition Trailer and did a refit myself. I upgraded the side boxes, rewired, replumbed the whole unit. The guys at Turtleback were awesome about getting me their custom parts to make it like the new versions at reasonable prices and pretty quickly.

I really like the Patriot Campers as well and was debating the two before I decided to save on a used one and refit it.

Can't go wrong with a US made product with easy after purchase support.

Doug85629

Rank I

Contributor III

Sahuarita, AZ, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Gugler
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7OVN
I purchased a Turtleback Expedition. Availability and options sold me. I sense saw up close am X1 both are excellent. My personal opinion on why I prefer TB is:
The kitchen is great. It opens out the back instead of the traffic side.
I like the hot water tank so water is available when you need it instead of having to hook up the heater in the field.
Built in water filtration with 48 gallons of water.
I got dual Lithium batteries with a 2000W inverter
The trailer powers from the 7 pin instead of having to wire an additional power plug.
I preferred switches and Victron electronics to the integrated Redarc solution.
The ability to just about customize anything. Although this can be a curse as well.
The factor is 3 hours away.

When I saw the Patriot X1 it was an awesome trailer. If I would have gotten it instead, I am sure I would have been pleased.

That was the items that made the decision for me to go with TB and I have no regrets.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Really like both brands, have been looking for a while, harder than choosing between them, is convincing myself that turning around with a trailer on narrow overgrown NW trails that dead end wont be a huge PIA that I will gripe about constantly . As far as which one we like, the edge was going to Turtleback, but changed when the X3 came out. Both of them are so expensive, but finally a 50k utility trailer that you can actually get inside of during crappy NW weather. I prefer the side kitchen as it seems to be better located under the awning and more space for kitchen storage and prep.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Really like both brands, have been looking for a while, harder than choosing between them, is convincing myself that turning around with a trailer on narrow overgrown NW trails that dead end wont be a huge PIA that I will gripe about constantly . As far as which one we like, the edge was going to Turtleback, but changed when the X3 came out. Both of them are so expensive, but finally a 50k utility trailer that you can actually get inside of during crappy NW weather. I prefer the side kitchen as it seems to be better located under the awning and more space for kitchen storage and prep.

Yes, you can climb inside an X3 but it really doesn’t offer that much more protection than the X1. And the storage options are much more limited. And a smaller bed. When I was deciding, I thought the X3 was a no-brainer. But the more I researched it, the more I realized the X1 was better for us. In bad weather, you can always set up the wind/rain walls. We hang out in the annex room with chairs and a small table in bad weather. Probably more comfortable than those benches in the X3. Just my $.02

Reactions: OTH Overland

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Yes, you can climb inside an X3 but it really doesn’t offer that much more protection than the X1. And the storage options are much more limited. And a smaller bed. When I was deciding, I thought the X3 was a no-brainer. But the more I researched it, the more I realized the X1 was better for us. In bad weather, you can always set up the wind/rain walls. We hang out in the annex room with chairs and a small table in bad weather. Probably more comfortable than those benches in the X3. Just my $.02
Thanks for the $.02, we are not small people, and defiantly want to check out anything in person before we purchase, most likely end up with something used or built with my own three hands..lol. Currently exploring the idea of building a livable box in place of the bed on our ram truck for longer excursions and staying with a ground or root top tent on the jeep. for the shorter ones. Key for me is fast set up and take down,, striving for 10 minute camp....

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
Worth a read:

Made me not consider the Turtleback trailer anymore.

Reactions: ColoradoMike

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Worth a read:

I was "influenced" in the direction of a Turtleback until I saw that thread a couple months ago. He describes poor engineering, poor QC, poor customer support... I wish Schutt would start taking orders again.

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
Yeah, I was about to order and did some last minute due diligence research and that thread saved me a lot of money. When looking through that and seeing the trailer taken apart and thinking about the details, it becomes clear that it's not only badly engineered (low quality), but also very poorly designed in many areas.

Anyways, not my problem anymore, I have a Patriot X1 on order. Which has its own set of problems, the biggest is that it's made in Australia and it'll be difficult to get parts if they aren't available here, but on the other hand, it's better designed, lighter, and well respected and reviewed by some guys I actually trust.

Reactions: Old Tanker
Worth a read:

WOW! Thanks for posting that link....I just finished reading this and while I was going to go with TB, I doubt that I will be now.

Seems like quality control went down the tubes when the company was sold....or maybe they were there all along.

Reactions: cug

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
Reading this made me realize that the trailers don’t really seem that well designed. Not that I could design a better one, but I don’t claim to either. They seem well overpriced for what they are. That’s just my personal opinion though.

Since I have a Patriot X1 on order take my opinion as confirmation bias and read the linked thread, it’s worth it.

El Viking

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

New York, NY, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Christopherson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA2MC
Service Branch
Army
I have a Patriot X1 and I love it. I have taken it on blue to black rated trails without an issue. I would love to upgrade my 2018 for a newer model as I would like to have hot water at the kitchen sink.
TB are nice but I prefer the side kitchen layout.
The order of parts from overseas is a downside but Patriot is opening a US headquarters in 2023.

Attachments

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

I was in the same position as the OP. I was leaning towards the Turtleback due to them being USA made and easier to source parts. They really seemed to be equal in build quality and the Patriot was a bit more $, which I assumed was due to the import fees. But then we got a chance to see them side-by-side at a 4x4 show and compare them both in person. The Turtlebacks were nice, but there was a significant, and distinct difference in quality between the TB and the Patriots. The Patriots were clearly a better build in every way. It's hard to describe, but when you see them side-by-side, it's clear the Patriots are a better build quality. There are quite a few reasons why the Patriots cost more, and it's worth it if you can swing the $. We made the decision that day (March 2020) to pull the trigger on a Patriot X1 and have not been disappointed. We have taken it on multiple trips, both short and long. Not a single problem with it. We absolutely love everything about it. Not a day of regret. I know TDGarage flipped his, and we were talking via a different channel when he did that. All I can say is that it must have been one of those freak things because these trailers are extremely stout. I do sometimes wish I got the X1H because the cover on the X1 can be a PITA. But the upgrade cost was just too much at the time. I'd still probably go X1 if I had to do it again. But if money was no object, I'd go X1H. And now Patriot has a HQ in Las Vegas, as well as a couple affiliate dealers around the country. The original Patriot dealership in Oklahoma was kind of hard to get stuff from, but the new dealerships and HQ make all the earlier concerns about sourcing parts a non-issue.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

I have a Patriot X1 and I love it. I have taken it on blue to black rated trails without an issue. I would love to upgrade my 2018 for a newer model as I would like to have hot water at the kitchen sink.
TB are nice but I prefer the side kitchen layout.
The order of parts from overseas is a downside but Patriot is opening a US headquarters in 2023.
I believe Patriot HQ is now open for business in Las Vegas. I'm hearing good things about RVs Of America as well.

Reactions: El Viking

El Viking

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

New York, NY, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Christopherson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA2MC
Service Branch
Army
I was in the same position as the OP. I was leaning towards the Turtleback due to them being USA made and easier to source parts. They really seemed to be equal in build quality and the Patriot was a bit more $, which I assumed was due to the import fees. But then we got a chance to see them side-by-side at a 4x4 show and compare them both in person. The Turtlebacks were nice, but there was a significant, and distinct difference in quality between the TB and the Patriots. The Patriots were clearly a better build in every way. It's hard to describe, but when you see them side-by-side, it's clear the Patriots are a better build quality. There are quite a few reasons why the Patriots cost more, and it's worth it if you can swing the $. We made the decision that day (March 2020) to pull the trigger on a Patriot X1 and have not been disappointed. We have taken it on multiple trips, both short and long. Not a single problem with it. We absolutely love everything about it. Not a day of regret. I know TDGarage flipped his, and we were talking via a different channel when he did that. All I can say is that it must have been one of those freak things because these trailers are extremely stout. I do sometimes wish I got the X1H because the cover on the X1 can be a PITA. But the upgrade cost was just too much at the time. I'd still probably go X1 if I had to do it again. But if money was no object, I'd go X1H. And now Patriot has a HQ in Las Vegas, as well as a couple affiliate dealers around the country. The original Patriot dealership in Oklahoma was kind of hard to get stuff from, but the new dealerships and HQ make all the earlier concerns about sourcing parts a non-issue.
The RTT cover is definitely a pain. I found the trick with main was to lay the cover on top of the tent, start the zipper and then work around pulling the cover down. Hopefully that makes sense, lol.
Once I did this it was fairly simple to put the cover on.

Reactions: theMightyGoose