Rank I

Enthusiast I

Alabama, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Roberts
Hey all,

I am looking at a used 2016 wrangler, from a mechanical standpoint im pretty confident and competent. However, I have zero experience in lifts and lifted vehicles.

its a single owner, 73,000 miles. Single owner was an older gentlemen, close to my dads age (im 38). Undercarriage looks great, nothing suggesting he went bouncing on sand dunes and driving off of boulders. Everything is consistent or better than a 2016 with 73k miles

except

It has a 2.5" rubicon express lift. 35 tires, and a steering stabilizer.

I am having a problem at the moment of really understanding

a) what parts were added as part of the lift at least "at a minimum to accomplish __"
b) what would be involved in returning to stock height, $$ wise.
a) it appears that at minimum- coil springs, shocks, steering stabilizer and tie rod then?
b) not sure on control arms?

It kind of seems the current pretty much everything but i mentioned is "consistently aged with everything else"

can any lift gurus comment on what im looking at replacing "at minimum"? or general comments on it?

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey all,

I am looking at a used 2016 wrangler, from a mechanical standpoint im pretty confident and competent. However, I have zero experience in lifts and lifted vehicles.

its a single owner, 73,000 miles. Single owner was an older gentlemen, close to my dads age (im 38). Undercarriage looks great, nothing suggesting he went bouncing on sand dunes and driving off of boulders. Everything is consistent or better than a 2016 with 73k miles

except

It has a 2.5" rubicon express lift. 35 tires, and a steering stabilizer.

I am having a problem at the moment of really understanding

a) what parts were added as part of the lift at least "at a minimum to accomplish __"
b) what would be involved in returning to stock height, $$ wise.
a) it appears that at minimum- coil springs, shocks, steering stabilizer and tie rod then?
b) not sure on control arms?

It kind of seems the current pretty much everything but i mentioned is "consistently aged with everything else"

can any lift gurus comment on what im looking at replacing "at minimum"? or general comments on it?
I am not a lift guru but I have lifted about 6 jeeps.

First off Rubicon Express was owned by four wheel parts but now they are both owned by a larger company that sells wheels, there was a time when Rubicon Express was the top of the line but it is now not that great. RS was founded locally here in NorCal one of the original owners was a neighbor.
I would not bring it back to stock 2.5" is a good lift height for overlanding, there are several lift kits that RS sells so knowing what would bring it back to stock would take some pictures.
If you have any other questions I am more than willing to chat about anything jeep.
Kent@OverlandBound.com
@Kent R

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

While I've installed a decent amount of lifts over the years I wouldn't call myself a guru or expert and have only worked on 2 JK lifts but I'll throw in my 2 cents. In the past year we pulled a 3.5" BDS lift off of a friends JKUR and installed a 4.5" RE long arm kit then took the 3.5" and installed it on my sister inlaws JKU so the components are fresh in my head. Minimum I've seen used to get 2.5" on the JK is shocks, coils, new rear sway bar links and move the rear links to the front. Now there are other kits that come with more parts for only 2.5" but that would be the most basic parts needed. If your JK drives good with the current setup leave it as is, you would pay more in stock parts than you would upgrading minor parts to improve your current lift. If you aren't totally happy with the feel of the current setup you can make minor, inexpensive upgrades that can help that. First would be quality shocks, Bilstein and Fox both make good ones in the correct length and valving for the JK with 2.5" lift. Next check the length of the sway bar links and sway bar angle, angle of the sway bar can effect the way your jeep handles. You can get correct length links for the rear and a set of adjustable quick disconnects for the front for cheap. Another way to improve handling is adjustable front lower control arms that would allow you to put caster back to factory. I know a bunch of this isn't really what you asked but throwing out options rather than going back to stock. I really think a 2.5" lift and 35's make the JK look like it should have from the factory, they look so little stock.