Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
NMO mount and cable w/ detached PL-259 (must be soldered)
Antenna and spring for flexibility - spring helps avoid oops when you hit something with your antenna and installs easily. This antenna will fold down for low clearance areas.
Antenna mount - could not find my order in email but something like this.

Antenna/mount sharing a bolt with aftermarket hood struts (struts are awesome). I used a little "plastic bra tape" on bottom of antenna bracket to avoid scuffing paint over time.
355393B3-38F9-4AB4-B940-E24CFB5BB129_1_105_c.jpeg

Drilled out firewall plug with a step bit and epoxied in a piece of yoga mat to allow wire ingress and attempt to keep elements out. This plug is where clutch assy would have been.
D1237FDA-D740-43FC-AF0E-084632121504_1_105_c.jpeg

Radio under driver's side rear seat - it works but I need to clean it up. So many other things to do and did I mention it works? Hahaha
F4DAD088-A9EA-4B89-89D9-8D684B223F0D_1_105_c.jpeg

Faceplate on RAM Tough-Track - purchased extension cables for radio's faceplate and mic. Faceplate cable has since been buried in the trim.
63307C63-4564-46C1-A9CD-0914796B269F_1_105_c.jpeg

Mic popping out from under driver's seat. This is where I like my mic as I keep it in my lap; easy/quick to find on the trail and can be clenched between legs when the going gets rough.
CED7C998-E0CC-4731-A033-39D667D85009_1_105_c.jpeg

Cheap speaker under driver's seat using hacked up mounting bracket. Big black U shaped bar is seat forward/back adjuster. More than loud enough for my old damaged ears.
E224AC65-4221-4D60-942F-4F34BBC6B8C7_1_105_c.jpeg

Original speaker bracket
1B37C40C-A8F0-432D-B2A1-B6BE0225A7FD_1_105_c.jpeg

Hack job speaker bracket
790A7BF7-00C7-41D9-BB58-E093FCEB3C52_1_105_c.jpeg

Nevada :)
1D39468E-069C-4A09-9EAA-E5DDB50C6E13_1_105_c.jpeg

I guess that the threadjack is done; carry on ;) Let me know if you have questions, etc.

Reactions: Old Tanker

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Thanks everyone for the Help I purchased everthying you Suggested Ubiety except I went with a Rugged Radio Antenna Mount, it's Black Matches Syslvestor
Don't forget you will need to remove that black in multiple spots to get a good connection between the NMO and the mount and the mount and vehicle body. You will also need NMO coax with a 3/8" center conductor which isn't the "normal" size.

Reactions: Ubiety

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

"You will also need NMO coax with a 3/8" center conductor which isn't the "normal" size."

I Was not aware that the Paint would hurt!!!
I ordered this

should be okay??

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

@Sylvester nope that NMO requires a 3/4" hole.
If you use a 1/2 wave 2m antenna it is not as ground dependent and will be ok on the painted mount but antennas work better when they have a ground plane (i.e. the body of the vehicle). Without it the antenna will try to use the coax as the other half of the antenna and send signal back towards your radio, this can be bad.

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

I'll buy a Diffrent Mount Then - Seems easier. Thank You

Prerunner1982

Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

@Sylvester a NMO connecter/mount with the more common 3/4" center.
With a NMO mount there is an outer ring that unscrews, the rest of the mount comes up through the bottom of the antenna mount and you put the ring back on top to sandwich the antenna mount between the NMO mount. The antenna then screws onto the ring of the NMO.

See the center stud below? It would fit your mount however the NMO you purchased has a 3/4" center stud but your mount has a 3/8" hole.
1612383217497.png

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Just checked the truck and have continuity between my antenna mount and the point which I have grounded some accessories. So if you use the same location that I did you should not need to rough up the paint. Driver's side close to the windshield.
Good catch @Prerunner1982!

Contributor I

Mesa, AZ
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Fissel
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7xxx
I don't have alot of Knowledge of Radio's using only CB's Mostly so I could be wrong but isnt MARS/CAP Military??

I also don't think the Wouxon is a Rebrand seems Completly new to me.
The Wouxom looks like a Yeasu FT8900 quad band clone.

Contributor I

Mesa, AZ
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Fissel
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7xxx
The FTM7250DR is $219 right now.
The MTX275 goes on sale regularly for $125. It does not have a detachable face but the screen and all of the controls is on the mic so you can mount the base under a seat or the dash.

You are always going to pay a huge premium for a detachable face which is why that Wouxon cost $319 instead of $150. My suggestions were for 'close' to the Wouxon price if you could live without a detachable face. The MXT275 will still be out of the way for less than half the price. And if you still need a detachable face, something like the FTM300 (which I mentioned earlier),FTM400, or the TM-D710 for Ham would work.

Let us know what you end up going with. Always interested to see what people choose for their rigs.
The Midland MXT275 is a 15 watt unit so if you are looking for power, it is a weak comparison. If you are looking for price and not concerned with a high power radio, then the Midland is your pick.

SteveG

Rank I

Contributor II

Rochester, NY, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Goldstein
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB2PWM
Sorry, guys, but I can't recommend purchasing the KG-1000G. Mine is only 19 months old (so 7 months out of warranty), and now the unit will only transmit but will not receive. Spoke to BuyTwoWayRadios tech support so they could help me troubleshoot. Confirmed I don't have any tones programmed or the squelch set too high, and agreed that the unit has failed. They don't provide repair service, and since the unit is out of warranty, my only option is to buy another unit. This sucks. That's $370 down the toilet.... :confused: