Belleville, IL, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9YQP
I have a 3rd Gen 4Runner (99), i want to mount my ham radio in the cargo area and use the existing 12v cigarette lighter wiring if possible. However, i have essentially no experience with vehicle wiring and if this is feasible. Any advice would be appreciated!

Reactions: El-Dracho

Dave in AZ

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Mac
12v cigarette port will do 10A, maybe 12A, so 120-144 Watts. If that will run your ham setup, great, do it. You need to figure out ham power needs.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@Quacken it will work , but as noted check your radio. My Kenwwod pulls 4/6/13 ish amps Low/Med/Hi power. Most radio docs will provide the amp draw

Shawn686

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Canada
Also don't forget to check if the port is switched or not. As in if the port stays powered with the truck off or not. Some truck have secondary cig ports that are not switched and stay powered with the key out / truck off. Could make for a little surprise if you don't check.

Shawn

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
As some have already said, the current consumption of the device could be too high for the instllation/ design of the cigarette lighter port, you need to check this. I also always advise against this variant of connection. At first glance, it seems smart to use an existing installation and have the option of simply plugging and unplugging, but this type of connection sometimes causes interference with the radio. Added to this is the fragile connection that these cigarette lighter sockets or plugs often have. So, this is not suitable for off-road use. Because when things get rough in the car, the plug often comes loose with perhaps all its consequences. I am therefore always in favor of fixed wiring with adequate fuse protection and cable dimensioning.

By the way, we have a separate subforum for electrical Q&As and one for comms here in the forums. Take a look, you'll find lots more tips there.

Reactions: rgallant