Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
To date, I have not really been a winter camper. With recent developments in affordable heating options, insulated clothing, 4-season tents and a strong desire to get out and enjoy nature, I have arrived at a point I’d like to give winter camping a real go.

I have noticed an extreme decline in the number of campers out and about and almost no tent campers. Yet another reason to try to get out more through the late fall and winter.

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
I too would like to do some winter camping. I have recently had a few nights at freezing in the RTT and awning room so I’ve got an idea what I need to upgrade or bring additionally. We used a Yeti sleeping bag with -1c limit, -14c extreme rating with a wool insert. The James Baroud RTT had the insulating liner in it. At -2c night temps it wasn’t too bad in the tent. An extra blanket to put over the sleeping bags would have been nice.

A alcohol or propane heater for the awning room would be nice for those days where it’s raining as well. Still researching that.

Burning most of my vacation in the summer doesn’t help.

I hope you can get out there this winter.

Last edited:

GBGCR4x4

Rank III

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Gianluca
Last Name
Boncompagni
I've done it twice. Both times in a tent. Once with a Mr. Buddy Heater, another time without, but temperatures weren't as low. Both times had a good and pleasant time, the bigger difference maker: having a really good sleeping bag. I have a mummy type one from Big Agnes. really comfy. Just make sure to have the right clothing and sleeping wear. It's going to be a nice experience, not many people around.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I enjoy winter camping. No bugs! I either sleep in a hammock or a hot tent.
If by hot tent you mean with a wood stove? I have tried that too, but I had to get up to stoke the fire and add wood. It was ok but not fun because it was 4:30- ish when I had to get up and mess with it. It had also gotten cold, which is what woke me up... I have high expectations for the diesel heater clone...

rich5665

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Jamesburg, NJ, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Webb
Member #

Haven’t been out in awhile. Love to winter camp even though I hate the cold. Enjoy sleeping in a hammock more than a tent. It’s amazing how a couple of zero degree quilts can keep you warm in single digit temps.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
we do most of our winter camping in state parks since its off season and the sites are half price AND there are very few people there. i can use my elec. heater since we have hook ups and i dont have to deal with the CO and heavy condensation of the Lil Buddy heater

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

As a previous hiker and hammock camper, I can say without a doubt that it is entirely possible to camp in comfort without all these gadgets and heaters. Now, if you want to use them, fine. But I don’t feel they are required, and I’ve camped down into the single digit temps.

You just need to dress appropriately and in layers. As you get active and warm up, you can strip layers off. When you sit down after dinner, put the layers back on. For sleeping, something like long-johns will help, but just make sure your quilts or sleeping bags are rated for the temps. All my stuff is goose down. Yep, it ain’t cheap, but it’s soooo comfy. Synthetic works great too.I sleep with socks and a balaclava. I usually sleep really well when it’s really cold - though I tend to have to get up a few times to water the grass, which I think is an artifact of the slightly higher metabolism keeping me warm.

My point is that I recommend you do some research on what is possible without all the heaters, etc, first - as most people think it’s a requirement. I really look at a heater as a luxury. JMHO

As a side note, I recently purchase a Jackery and I’m gonna try a small (200W) electric heater on my next winter trip. However, I’ll only run it for like 30 minutes prior to waking up, just to heat up the car. If it doesn’t work, no loss. I’ve camped for two winters without one.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I usually do a trip with friends from college every winter around December-February. We go out to the woods and leave almost all our gear behind.

I have a few setups for minimal camping in the winter. A simple leant-to tarp setup to block the wind and sleep close to the fire for warmth, a mummy style sleeping bag ( as long as your not a side sleeper or toss and turn in the night) will generally keep you warmer. Water is a tough part of camping in winter ... shocking I know lol. Also use plastic containers and not stainless steel because well... have you ever licked a flagpole in the winter?
20180126_133217(0).jpg

This was setup with a small wood stove inside. It can get smokey if not setup properly but will work well in all kinds of weather.
253769448_248937577297934_3742377470306378239_n.jpg

I like to keep experiences like this in my back pocket in case something were to happen while out exploring/venturing out on a trip. For me it is basic survival first, then I pile on comforts. I find sleeping inside the vehicle in winter creates too much moisture and front on the inside for my liking.
I don't bring my wife or kid with me on these trips and when I run solo, its usually pretty light. I rely heavily on making/having a fire.

I like to be outdoors for the most part, there are no bugs eating me in the winter, and a nice fire is always comfortable.

Now I know that this is likely nothing even close to what most people do, or what you are planning, but I like to test myself from time to time and see what I am still capable of, and if I get stranded I know that I can handle myself through a storm or hunker down for a few days and this gives me more comfort when traveling knowing that I don't need the gear.

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
If you're using a 4 season tent, then a well insulated (R factor) sleeping pad plus an 850/900 fill down bag should do the trick. Camped many times in the winter in temps from 0 to 30's and never needed a heater in the tent. I had the appropriate layers and a great thermarest plus down bag. We would sit by the fire/firepit until time for bed, then leave the fire straight to bed. If you need auxiliary heat in your tent, you need more bag or a bivy for your bag. Oh wear a watch cap too, either synthetic/down/wool. You'll sleep much warmer. We have on occasion put a lantern in the tent for a spell to warm up the tent before bed. Works like a charm.

YoKramer

Rank IV

Influencer II

Concord NC
Member #

As a previous hiker and hammock camper, I can say without a doubt that it is entirely possible to camp in comfort without all these gadgets and heaters. Now, if you want to use them, fine. But I don’t feel they are required, and I’ve camped down into the single digit temps.

You just need to dress appropriately and in layers. As you get active and warm up, you can strip layers off. When you sit down after dinner, put the layers back on. For sleeping, something like long-johns will help, but just make sure your quilts or sleeping bags are rated for the temps. All my stuff is goose down. Yep, it ain’t cheap, but it’s soooo comfy. Synthetic works great too.I sleep with socks and a balaclava. I usually sleep really well when it’s really cold - though I tend to have to get up a few times to water the grass, which I think is an artifact of the slightly higher metabolism keeping me warm.

My point is that I recommend you do some research on what is possible without all the heaters, etc, first - as most people think it’s a requirement. I really look at a heater as a luxury. JMHO

As a side note, I recently purchase a Jackery and I’m gonna try a small (200W) electric heater on my next winter trip. However, I’ll only run it for like 30 minutes prior to waking up, just to heat up the car. If it doesn’t work, no loss. I’ve camped for two winters without one.

Im guessing you are sleeping in the back of the car? If so what pad/mattress are you using in the back? Were still trying to find one that isnt a lumpy mess of an air mattress, or that actually gives some support back there.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Im guessing you are sleeping in the back of the car? If so what pad/mattress are you using in the back? Were still trying to find one that isnt a lumpy mess of an air mattress, or that actually gives some support back there.
You are correct. I have a folding foam mattress that is probably about as comfy as my mattress at home. Plus, I don’t have the cold mattress issues as when using an air mattress in the winter. I can even sleep on my side!

Milliard Tri Folding Mattress,...

YoKramer

Rank IV

Influencer II

Concord NC
Member #

You are correct. I have a folding foam mattress that is probably about as comfy as my mattress at home. Plus, I don’t have the cold mattress issues as when using an air mattress in the winter. I can even sleep on my side!

Milliard Tri Folding Mattress,...

Nice thanks for the link gonna put it on a list.

Reactions: Tundracamper

GBGCR4x4

Rank III

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Gianluca
Last Name
Boncompagni

I gotta second this. I've camped in really low temperatures, and with a good, really good sleeping bag and the adequate layers, you shouldn't have many problems. Expensive can turn out to be the smartest investment!

Reactions: Tundracamper

YoKramer

Rank IV

Influencer II

Concord NC
Member #

They also make a zippered heavy duty cover that I use for storage. It’s a pain to use when camping but keeps dust off the mattress when stored in the garage/closet.

Awesome I'll look at that too. Does the cover on it come off at all for cleaning or possible modification of the foam to contour it to the humps in the back of the truck? I have ~42-50" depending on where you measure and what you're trying to get around and over.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Awesome I'll look at that too. Does the cover on it come off at all for cleaning or possible modification of the foam to contour it to the humps in the back of the truck? I have ~42-50" depending on where you measure and what you're trying to get around and over.
Never check. But, apparently so, per the description…

• Convenient- The removable bamboo cover is machine washable for easy care.”

Reactions: YoKramer