Enthusiast II

Alpine, CA, USA
First Name
RANDY
Last Name
GIBSON
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB6JJR
I have a winch and tow straps. Would you recommend I carry a snatch strap/rope as well?

If so, under what circumstances would I snatch instead of winch?

Thanks in advance from a recovery noob. :blush:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Depends on how much space/weight you want to take up. There is no limit to how much recovery equipment one can carry but if you never use it..... why pack it. I carry a winch, chain and tree saver. The chain is to drag logs, I use it more than the winch. I use lockers more than the winch too. I've never "needed" a snatch strap.

A snatch strap works well if you cannot find traction or an anchor to hold the winching vehicle, like winching uphill.

Last edited:
Reactions: QDman

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I snatch strap is great for yanking someone when stuck and only need to be moved a short distance, quick and easy. Winch for a more technical recovery, more labor intensive. A 20'X3/4" rope doesn't take up much room.

Reactions: 64Trvlr and QDman

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Every time I have ever used a winch, I've thought "this would be so much easier, faster, and safer with a simple snatch strap."

Not to mention, what few people advertise about winches is the extra half hour you should spend after every use washing the cable and carefully re-spooling it under moderate tension.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
To answer your question, yes, carry both. When the situation arises your common sense will dictate which method of extraction to be the safest method. One could write a book on all the different scenarios and still not cover them all. Winches do take special care, cleaning the line, re-spooling, etc, but hey, if you don’t have a half an hour to maintain your equipment properly then maybe you’re in the wrong hobby.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Carry both... 90% of typical trail recovery can be done safer and easier with a gentle pull... if a couple of rugs are needed switch to the winch. Unless that 10% comes into play like sliding off the mountain.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Do you tend to travel alone (just one vehicle)? Then of course the snatch strap wouldn't be much use. :)

I personally prefer to use a snatch strap first when possible. The strap is often faster to deploy, allows you to progressively add force to the pull, and can be used on either end of your rig. This last factor can be a major consideration since you can only (easily) winch in one direction.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

More is almost always better, but if you are traveling alone a kinetic recovery rope will have little value unless you are planning to hunt somebody down to pull you out.

Folks who make out like wincing is some terribly labor intensive operation must have terribly sedentary lifestyles. It's like any other piece of equipment it has maintenance requirements, but they are negligible compared to the usefulness and security a winch brings.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Yep all the other stuff is ok if your out wheeling with others where someone is around to extract you from whatever your stuck in. But once your wheeling in places others dont want to go with you electric or hydraulic winches are at the top of the list of must haves. It dont hurt to have all the recovery options but if you want to make sure you can get yourself out a winch, shovel, tree saver strap and a spare tire or land anchor will get you out of just about anything alone.

Reactions: QDman

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
More is almost always better, but if you are traveling alone a kinetic recovery rope will have little value unless you are planning to hunt somebody down to pull you out.

Folks who make out like wincing is some terribly labor intensive operation must have terribly sedentary lifestyles. It's like any other piece of equipment it has maintenance requirements, but they are negligible compared to the usefulness and security a winch brings.
If this was about my little rant, after I got my first winch 6 years a go, I have used my winch over a million times, but only 4 for recovering others and once to self recover... and that self recovery I ran over a stump that I didn’t see and got hung up on the undercarriage. I had to lift the truck off the stump, and my bottle jack was way too short, and the terrain was to steep to stack rocks safely, had I had a farm jack, I would have been off the stump much quicker than the rigging I needed to lift the truck up enough to slide forward off the stump... once I was over the stump it was as simple as driving around it to get the rest of the way cleared. Would I give up my winch for tow straps... no I would not, unless the vehicle can’t have a winch. Will I give up my recovery straps... NO WAY.

Reactions: QDman and bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

If this was about my little rant, after I got my first winch 6 years a go, I have used my winch over a million times, but only 4 for recovering others and once to self recover... and that self recovery I ran over a stump that I didn’t see and got hung up on the undercarriage. I had to lift the truck off the stump, and my bottle jack was way too short, and the terrain was to steep to stack rocks safely, had I had a farm jack, I would have been off the stump much quicker than the rigging I needed to lift the truck up enough to slide forward off the stump... once I was over the stump it was as simple as driving around it to get the rest of the way cleared. Would I give up my winch for tow straps... no I would not, unless the vehicle can’t have a winch. Will I give up my recovery straps... NO WAY.
No, not about your rant specifically, I see this all the time, generally from people who are either talking themselves out of a winch, or talking someone else out of one.

SELF recovery and competent first aid should be at the top of the hierarchy of needs for anyone who is going off of the beaten paths list.

People belabor the fact that winches are not maintenance free items and in fact they are not. Some folks promote high lift jacks and come alongs as adequate substitutes, which in some cases they may be.

Now combine the two aspects I described as the top of the hierarchy of needs. First aid and self recovery. It is easy enough to potentially find yourself in need of both simultaneously. In that case all concerns of the rigors of winch maintenance and cost of first aid training and supplies are rendered moot.

QDman

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Alpine, CA, USA
First Name
RANDY
Last Name
GIBSON
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB6JJR
Do you tend to travel alone (just one vehicle)? Then of course the snatch strap wouldn't be much use. :)

I personally prefer to use a snatch strap first when possible. The strap is often faster to deploy, allows you to progressively add force to the pull, and can be used on either end of your rig. This last factor can be a major consideration since you can only (easily) winch in one direction.
Sometimes alone, sometimes with others.

QDman

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Alpine, CA, USA
First Name
RANDY
Last Name
GIBSON
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB6JJR
Thanks for the responses, friends. I love learning from the folks here. :hearteyes: